Body-fat Percentage Calculators?

2»

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Unless you really know how to use them, is trust a scale with BIA more than calipers.

However, 12% for a female is a pretty lofty goal. Are you a bodybuilder or fitness model?
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member

Sure thing :)
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    By the way, the local health shop does bodpods for $20 per measurement here in Knoxville. A dexa scan is more accurate and is close to double the price.

Really, all that matters is a consistent easy to compare results. The number itself is useles
    s.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    KirstenAFerreira Posts: 55 Member
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You really are too kind, I am happy to help. One thing I would say is that I’d go with a known structured lifting program like the ones I had mentioned. Best of luck! :smile:

And to you too! :D thank you!
  • KirstenAFerreira
    edited July 2015
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    Unless you really know how to use them, is trust a scale with BIA more than calipers.

However, 12% for a female is a pretty lofty goal. Are you a bodybuilder or fitness model?

Thank you!
    I'm not a bodybuilder or a fitness model :)
    I'm just a little flabby mom! - But I find women at that percentage beautiful! It would be nice to achieve something close to it as I come from a family of women who are all rather pudgy and overweight :) would be different!
  • KirstenAFerreira
    senecarr wrote: »
    I'd try
    http://www.weightrainer.net/circbf.html
    Completely anecdotal, but when I used it, I calculated out a lean body mass of ~135. About a month or two later I had a DEXA scan that said my lean body mass was 137.76. I'm not sure what was expensive testing range to you, but I'll mention the DEXA scane was $40 which was a huge improvement over my thinking I'd have to drive far for BodPod and pay $125+.
    You can also check if your local university is looking for guinea pigs for exercise experiments, some of them include a body fat test of some kind for free, on top of whatever the study pays.
    Calipers generally won't work well if you aren't experienced, and the some of the more extensive measurement methods for it use areas you can't access - you'd need someone else to pinch.

I'll look into it, :) Thank you for your advice!!
    I'll be honest, I have no idea how calipers work anyway, so it probably wouldn't go very well for me! :p
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I'd try
    Completely anecdotal, but when I used it, I calculated out a lean body mass of ~135. About a month or two later I had a DEXA scan that said my lean body mass was 137.76. I'm not sure what was expensive testing range to you, but I'll mention the DEXA scane was $40 which was a huge improvement over my thinking I'd have to drive far for BodPod and pay $125+.
    You can also check if your local university is looking for guinea pigs for exercise experiments, some of them include a body fat test of some kind for free, on top of whatever the study pays.
    Calipers generally won't work well if you aren't experienced, and the some of the more extensive measurement methods for it use areas you can't access - you'd need someone else to pinch.

I'll be honest, I have no idea how calipers work anyway, so it probably wouldn't go very well for me! :p

If you like being pinched, you'll at least get that out of it. Otherwise they're just like a BIA scale - done the exact same way repeatedly they'll show the trend but probably be off from the real value.
    There's only one way to get a real body fat percentage, but unfortunately you won't be alive to see the number as it involves burning a body.
  • My_Butt
    My_Butt Posts: 2,300 Member
    My_Butt wrote: »
    I have a scale that is surprisingly accurate. It says I'm 20.3% body fat, and when I did the water density test, I was actually 20.71%. An online calculator showed is was 21.57%.

I wouldn't worry about a number, unless its the weight of your dumbbells.

Thank you! You're totally right!
    I'm sorry to maybe be weird. I saw on your profile you're obsessed with the Insanity workout! I've been eyeing it :)
    Is it any good?? (must be!)

I really liked insanity. I did two rounds of it, and now I'm on my fourth week of Hip Hop Abs, which is really fun.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    I have a scale that is surprisingly accurate. It says I'm 20.3% body fat, and when I did the water density test, I was actually 20.71%. An online calculator showed is was 21.57%.

I'm sorry to maybe be weird. I saw on your profile you're obsessed with the Insanity workout! I've been eyeing it :)

I really liked insanity. I did two rounds of it, and now I'm on my fourth week of Hip Hop Abs, which is really fun.

I accidentally signed up for Hippo Abs a long time ago, and now I'm on MFP because of it.
  • KirstenAFerreira
    I'd try

If you like being pinched, you'll at least get that out of it. Otherwise they're just like a BIA scale - done the exact same way repeatedly they'll show the trend but probably be off from the real value.
    There's only one way to get a real body fat percentage, but unfortunately you won't be alive to see the number as it involves burning a body.

Bwahahaha I didn't expect that :D
  • KirstenAFerreira

I'm going to need workouts to follow after the two Jillian Michaels videos I'm following!
    I'm keen to try Insanity :p I'll look at the other one also!