High blood pressure...HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

manage this with your general physician. they will guide you in the proper direction

^^ Or a cardiologist if you feel you are not getting the proper care from your GP
  • tkmotivation
    tkmotivation Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

manage this with your general physician. they will guide you in the proper direction

^^ Or a cardiologist if you feel you are not getting the proper care from your GP

Agreed!

I work in cardiology and have seen some nasty issues relating to hypertensive crises, one including a ruptured aorta. PLEASE contact a medical professional!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

+1

I went to my GP last year with some issues, and then spent some time with an excellent cardiologist

you can just ask your GP for a referral, I believe they are required to provide one if requested
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I've had several issues related to high blood pressure. I've been in the hospital and received intervention because it got SO out of control. You MUST see a doc. TAKE the meds if prescribed. LIVE LONG ENOUGH to tackle the weight and health issues.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everybody else gave you good advice. I bought a home automatic BP monitor so I can check myself everyday, but I was only a tad over normal 135/85. Since losing weight and walking 2 or 3 miles a day I'm in the normal range now. The one I bought cost $40.00
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Mine was a little high but I got it down with exercise and by quitting my stressful career. Never took meds. It's totally normal now.

Your BP is VERY HIGH, though. I don't think you should wait and see what happens. Continue with diet and exercise, but contact your doctor right away! It's probably a smart idea to go ahead and use the medication while you work on your lifestyle changes. You can always stop the meds if/when you get things under control. Don't play around with high BP!!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lol hypertensive crisis but no meds?

go see your regular doc

cut out salt, drink more water

but see your general physician asap

This

You should be on meds as you lose weight
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Losing weight will be the #1 thing to bring down your blood pressure. Eating LESS will be the most important step. Salt has a relatively modest effect on BP even for susceptible people. Being on drugs while you lose weight is fine.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    MidwaysT wrote: »
    Just cut all added salt.

It is not that simple...it helps but is far from solving the problem.

• Annie_01
    Options
    Losing weight will be the #1 thing to bring down your blood pressure. Eating LESS will be the most important step. Salt has a relatively modest effect on BP even for susceptible people. Being on drugs while you lose weight is fine.

From the research that I have done...

There is some controversy over how much affect that sodium has on blood pressure. For those with a healthy BP it seems to have little to none affect...for those that are already hypertensive there is evidence that sodium intake does affect them.

Since I have been battling with high BP for some time now I am willing to err on the side of caution and lower my intake. I do agree however that losing the extra weight and exercising regularly is definitely a huge part of controlling it.

To the OP...I can not recommend enough...research...research...research. I finally hit ALMOST normal ranges yesterday. I am losing weight...exercising...and keeping my sodium intake below 1500mg.

I am also learning how to cook using spices, herbs and other lower sodium ingredients.

Be leery of products that say "reduced" sodium...they only have to be 25% lower that the original product to qualify. Low sodium is 140mg or less.

Google "what qualifies as low sodium". There is a chart that tells you what levels the food labels refer to when it comes to sodium levels.

My BP was close to your range about a year ago...as I said...I am now almost close to normal.

While sodium might no cause high BP...it causes you to retain water which will raise your BP.

Again...research...research...research...when you go to your doctor be informed.

• vegaspack
    vegaspack Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did you go to the ER due to your blood pressure or were you there for other reasons? Many of us have white coat hypertension and can really spike in medical settings, especially ER. As many posters have recommended get a home BP cuff (Arm) so you can get a real reading while you are relaxed. If your BP is over 200 Systolic at home I agree that you should be on meds immediately. Good luck on bringing it down.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    OP...

Also research the correlation of potassium and sodium. Potassium will actually help in reducing to affects of sodium. Most people do not get enough potassium...it is hard to reach those recommendations.

What I have found that helps...

Low sodium V8 juice...one 8oz glass gives you 900mg
    Bananas
    Potatoes - white and sweet potatoes
    Vegetables (though they don't taste as good with not sodium...add lots of other no-sodium seasonings)

Google foods high in potassium.

One last thing...while exercise helps...be cautious about what you do while your BP is that high.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At a BP of 216/109, that's stroke territory. You don't want that.

Get on the meds now to bring that down, then worry about diet, exercise later.
  • zoomtech16
    zoomtech16 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I had high BP and wanted to take care of it on my own, but doc said I had to take meds. So I take meds, and do cardio for a year, but NOTHING has helped my bp like strength training. (and I'm talking lifting heavy things) MY BP is now 110/71 so I hope to slowly come off those meds. With it that high though you need meds because that is in stroke territory.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

+1

I went to my GP last year with some issues, and then spent some time with an excellent cardiologist

you can just ask your GP for a referral, I believe they are required to provide one if requested

Many insurances don't require a referral. OP Should be able to just call up a cardiology office and make an appointment.
  • fgleiser
    fgleiser Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had high BP. It is under control now, nbut even if I run 30-40km a week, lost a lot of weight and eat with almost no added salt I still need to take 5mg of enalapril every day.

The best advice you can get is go see your doctor and get it treated asap
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

+1

Many insurances don't require a referral. OP Should be able to just call up a cardiology office and make an appointment.

ahh that may be true

the particular cardiology clinic I wanted to go to (the "best" in SA: Methodist Cardiologist Clinic of SA) required a referral

good point tho

one way or the other, OP, as I'm sure you've gleaned by now

see your doc :smile:

be well! be safe!