Appendectomy: Exercise and Diet Questions?

Options
Hello!

I just had an emergency appendectomy. This is my first surgery as an adult and have some questions regarding what to do for the next few weeks!

The doctor said that i'm not allowed to do any kind of heavy exercise for 6 weeks or lift over 10lbs for this time either.

Can anybody recommend some tips for a diet during this time and maybe any kind of light exercise to help keep in shape?

I realize I shouldn't have stepped on the scale just yet but was shocked by practically an over night weight gain of around 7lbs! Hoping it's just fluid!!

Replies

• bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I hope the surgery went ok and you're recovering well.

Yes, it is probably water/fluid. It will probably take several days to settle down.

For diet and exercise, you may want to run any ideas past your doctor. But generally, you may want to eat at least at your maintenance while you recover. Your body needs time and nutrients to repair.

As for exercise, maybe focus on upper body or lower body exercises that do not stress your abdomen. Again, clear anything with your doctor.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Goggle " isometric exercises "
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Katersamo wrote: »
    Hello!

I just had an emergency appendectomy. This is my first surgery as an adult and have some questions regarding what to do for the next few weeks!

The doctor said that i'm not allowed to do any kind of heavy exercise for 6 weeks or lift over 10lbs for this time either.

Can anybody recommend some tips for a diet during this time and maybe any kind of light exercise to help keep in shape?

I realize I shouldn't have stepped on the scale just yet but was shocked by practically an over night weight gain of around 7lbs! Hoping it's just fluid!!

Ask your doctor when it is safe to return to a caloric deficit. Understand that your body uses more calories during illness and to heal surgical incisions. Set MFP goals to maintenance until your doctor gives you the okay to return to dieting.

I wouldn't do more than walk until you get the okay, maybe not even that.

The weight gain was inflammation and will be gone soon. Your body is under an enormous amount of stress right now.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes from the deficit, so exercise is unnecessary. Listen to your doctor and heal up. The added weight is probably from the IV.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Don't even do light exercises without consulting your doctor!!!!
    You can start to bleed if you're not healed properly!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at maintenance of above for healing.
    Check with the doctor about light walking.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    IF it was arthroscopic, then maintenance for a week. Walk whenever you start feeling like it--for my husband, it was about 3 days, but it might be longer. Deficit with walking only after a week. Don't do serious stretching until you're cleared to lift. :)

If it was a conventional surgery, could be I think a month before you can do gentle walking for exercise. And you'll need more calories to heal.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to nourish your body eat healthy nice fresh produce drink water take rest but why not walk? It makes you feel good it gets you out and fresh air start with around the block twice a day and build if you feel strong enough.
    Ensure your getting enough protein carbs and fat all important and I wish you s speedy recovery
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The weight gain will be from fluid and will go back down again, I'm speaking from experience I've had 2 sets of abdominal surgeries in the last few years. Stay away from the scales it won't do you any good and isn't reliable. If you're not allowed to lift anything over 10lbs then don't be remotely tempted you can do serious damage to the scar and surgery area. Walking is the only thing I did and started slow and I mean just down the road to begin with and it was far too early although I couldn't avoid it I had to go to the gp, it took me 3 hrs of sleep to recover from that debacle and that was in week 2 of my recovery. ignore the diet but just eat healthily, you can get back on track after the 6 weeks, right now focus on recovery not weight loss
  • loopingcaterpillar
    loopingcaterpillar Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband had that op, and a 9 inch scar, he got a hernia along the scar and needed further surgery. take it easy until told otherwise.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I just had my gallbladder removed a week and a half ago. I've been walking a lot, mostly because public transportation is a fail in my city. I'm taking a break from logging, but choosing to eat mostly things that are nourishing. Fruits, nuts, grains, gentler veggies (more cucumber and zucchini, less broccoli and onions), eggs, fish, tofu. And a small serving of sweets at the end of the day because that sense of comfort is nice when you're living and recovering alone!

My weight actually kept dropping for days after the surgery, so my goal was to eat enough to get back up to my right on the morning of the surgery because I can't afford to slow down my healing. I have some summering to do! But it's also not my first abdominal surgery, so I know the drill. My surgeon will help me figure out the next phase of healing at post op on Monday.

Good luck in your healing, and wear your "shark bite" proudly!