Fruits for weight loss?

Options
Goodevening Family,,
can eating fruits cause me to gain weight? I love them soo much but I feel like the way I am eating them its gonna hinder my progress, I eat apples mostly

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating fruits can cause you to gain weight if doing so puts you over your maintenance calorie level.
  • Meselele
    Meselele Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am still below it, just that I read somewhere where they spoke about their carb content, so which one counts more calories or carbs??
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    For weight loss, only calories matter. For overall health, it's more complicated than that.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Living off of fruit solely is probably not good for you, but as long as you stay below your maintenance calorie level, you will loose weight no matter how much fruit you eat. Just remember that variety is key in healthy, nutritious, eating.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    There are no special fruits for weight loss. I consider all fruits to be pretty much the same in terms of carb content. As long as you don't go over your daily calorie goals, eat as much as you want. That said, some fruits ARE lower in calories for the same weight. Watermelon and pineapple and cherries especially...yum!
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Fruit is awesome, especially now in Canada that the local grown stuff is becoming available. Medium peach 84, calories, 1lb of strawberries 150 calories. You will be fine as long as your daily calories are within your specific goals.
  • neeleshnshah92
    neeleshnshah92 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Fruits good once or twice a day especially after a workout for hydration and energy but monitor the number of carbs you are getting all day. Excess carbohydrates store as fat so yes over eating fruit can in turn make you gain weight
  • bobby19666
    bobby19666 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's the sugar not calories. Sugar raises insulin to store fat. Eat low gi fruits like apples not bananas or melon
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    It's the sugar not calories. Sugar raises insulin to store fat. Eat low gi fruits like apples not bananas or melon

Nope. You can eat 1200 calories of bananas and lose weight. You might be considered insane (looks at specific bloggers) and miss your fat/protein macros by a long shot, but it's still about CICO.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Fruits good once or twice a day especially after a workout for hydration and energy but monitor the number of carbs you are getting all day. Excess carbohydrates store as fat so yes over eating fruit can in turn make you gain weight

I eat about 200 to 400 gram fruit a day ( that is far more than 2 pieces)
    and lost weight just fine and steadily.

There is nothing wrong with any food as long as you dont eat suprlus ( over your calorie allowance)
  • BWBTrish
    Options

and again
    I dont eat much added sugar, but a ton of fruit all fruit. The GI can be important for your work outs that's all. low or high will determine how long your body has profit of the sugar.

If you have no medical issues there is nothing wrong with sugar.

Eating too much calories makes you gain weight sugar or not how or low GI or not.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    i award you zero points.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    i award you zero points.

well at least no minus points...**makes a happy dance, and logs the extra burned calories**

• flamingblades
    flamingblades Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I make strawberry/raspberry puree with my magic bullit, measure it out by the cup, bag it and freeze it. All ready for a smoothie when desired. I found berries are really not that high in caloric value. If you need to be carb conscious, use fruit sparingly but it is an awesome source of fiber.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's not that simple. Raised insulin is an appropriate physiological response to glucose metabolism and serves to keep blood sugar at the appropriate levels. It is only problematic when the cells' insulin receptors are resistant to the hormone, leading the body to produce more insulin. Insulin resistance makes it difficult to access stored fat to burn. Without a medical condition; there is nothing wrong with bananas or melon.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Fruits are a very good source of fiber and other essential nutrients. I think the only concern you should have with fruits is sugar levels.
  • Meselele
    Meselele Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    wooow!!! thank you soo much guys
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Do you have any peer reviewed studies to support that claim?

You never did provide one in the other thread?

OP: Over eating on any food will cause weight gain. If you like to eat a lot of fruit and it fits into your calorie and macro goals go for it. Fruits provide an excellent source of vitamins and minerals as well as fiber.