best books about nutrition and weight loss/fitness?

Options
I'm a big nerd and like to learn about my interests and activities. Can you recommend any great books on women's fitness/weight loss/nutrition? I don't want fad diet type books like Atkins and such though. Someone recommended thebook strong curves so I'm going to get that. I'm interested in exploring iifym too if anyone can recommend good books on that. Thanks!

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I was just coming in here to recommend Strong Curves from seeing the thread title. You might want to get Starting Strength, even though it's not particularly geared towards women.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    If you're not into calorie counting, then "Lean Habits for Lifelong Weight Loss" is great. If you're into calorie counting, it's still a good book as far as nutrition goes.
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    All you need to do is cut out sugar and simple carbs. That way your insulin drops and your body burns fat. You can even eat fat butter meat. Just cut processed foods

Get out of here....
  • Glinda1971
    Glinda1971 Posts: 2,328 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I liked The Diet Fix by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

And parts of Lose it Right by James Fell were interesting as well.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I know you asked for books but I wanted to leave this link here. Has a list of what were previously stickied threads and they have a ton of great info without the fads.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177910/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

CICO. Fitness - just find something you like to do and you will stick to it.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    There's plenty of middle ground there. Let's just not hop off topic. OP wanted reading material. :)
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    BILLBRYTAN wrote: »
    All you need to do is cut out sugar and simple carbs. That way your insulin drops and your body burns fat. You can even eat fat butter meat. Just cut processed foods
    This is the best advice I have read today, thank you. It is good to see someone who is more interested in health than numbers on a scale. Even if you are under your calorie allowance, the body will store the food as fat if it is food it cannot use. The trick is to make sure everything you eat is something useful to your body, not YUMMY GARBAGE.

If you are under your calorie allowance, what is left to store as fat?
  • galgenstrick
    Options
    123user456 wrote: »
    This is the best advice I have read today, thank you. It is good to see someone who is more interested in health than numbers on a scale. Even if you are under your calorie allowance, the body will store the food as fat if it is food it cannot use. The trick is to make sure everything you eat is something useful to your body, not YUMMY GARBAGE.

If you are under your calorie allowance, what is left to store as fat?

Shhhhh.... You can't use logic on these forums.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Intuitive Eating. You can learn more about it at https://www.intuitiveeating.com
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Glinda1971 wrote: »
    I liked The Diet Fix by Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

I second that recommendation. The "10-day Reset" is a bit gimmicky, but the principles behind it are sane, unlike most books on weight loss. Freedhoff's basic point is that you are not going to stick with any weight loss plan or dietary change that makes you miserable, so you need to make changes that are sustainable and allow for comfort and joy.

As far as nutrition, I am fond of Michael Pollan's advice in his In Defense of Food: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." By "food" he means something that someone in your grandparents' or great-grandparents' lifetimes would have recognized as food—or, to put it another way, foodstuffs that haven't been processed in ways that require them to be enriched with the vitamins and minerals that were processed out of them.

As long as you ignore his rants against cardio exercise, Mark Lauren's books on bodyweight strength training are useful. You Are Your Own Gym is gender-neutral (and has both male and female models in the exercise photos); Body By You is aimed at women.

The best introductions to what we currently know about fitness and its impact on health, based on research, are Gretchen Reynolds, The First 20 Minutes, and Alex Hutchinson, Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights? Hutchinson provides references to the scientific literature; Reynolds doesn't, but you can usually track it down based on the info she provides in the text. Reynolds is a reporter for the New York Times (much of her book started in her Times column); Hutchinson got a Ph.D. in physics but is now an exercise journalist; his "Sweat Science" blog is now on the Runner's World website and he also writes for other venues.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options

It's not that simple. Raised insulin is an appropriate physiological response to glucose metabolism and serves to keep blood sugar at the appropriate levels. It is only problematic when the cells' insulin receptors are resistant to the hormone, leading the body to produce more insulin, leading to raised blood sugar and decreased ability to burn stored fat.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Actually, the information you get by using and reading MFP is probably superior to any book you can buy.

This. Just read the threads. There are lot of really intelligent people on MFP. Watch out for the ones that have no idea what they are talking about. You will find out who they are quickly. CICO. Fitness - just find something you like to do and you will stick to it.

*cough* bobby19666

Smarty pants LOL
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

Are you copy and paste this in every thread?

There is no good or bad foods as long as you have no medical issues
    There is only TOO MUCH food what makes you gain weight or not lose weight.

Very simple, no magic...so to burst the bubble

Eat less than you burn ( deficit) and you lose weight.

This discussion has been closed.