Do any of you run outside when it's raining or snowing?

Options
If so how do you do it? I hate running on a treadmill and would much rather run outside but it's always raining :((((( and in the winter it snows allllllllot

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I quite like running in the rain. Much nicer than running in the heat. I just wear running tights and a waterproof Nike jacket so my phone is safe in the pocket. Running in the rain sort of reminds me of being a little kid, and doing things because they were fun regardless of the weather or who might see you.
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain and snow.,I am just mindful in the winter of ice. I do everything I can to avoid the treadmill lol.
  • Francine_rivas
    Francine_rivas Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »
    I love running in the rain and snow.,I am just mindful in the winter of ice. I do everything I can to avoid the treadmill lol.
    How do you stay safe like not slipping? Are there special shoes you can wear that help prevent slipping? I know just walk on the ice but just walking on it scares me lol. I see people running in the snow and I'm like wow how do you do it
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    You can get some things for your shoes. I have yaktrax but there are lots of variations.

http://www.yaktrax.ca
  • fbinsc
    fbinsc Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I don't run on ice, but I run in rain and snow.
    No trick, just go
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I did when I used to live in Northern Virginia. Just wear the right clothing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pianoplaya94
    pianoplaya94 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Rain? Sure... I don't melt. Snow? I basically hibernate in the winter and spend a total of like an hour outside in 4 months. I avoid it like the plague since I HATE winter... the irony is that I live in Canada so it is an unavoidable consequence.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Running in the rain is great! After all, skin is waterproof. I wear amber sunglasses if it's not too dark out, or clear over-the-glasses safety glasses if it's dark, along with a cap or visor, to keep rain out of my eyes. I wear a reflective belt (the one in my profile picture). My feet get wet, but they get wet when I run anyway. I don't bother with waterproof gear, since if it's truly waterproof, I'd be soaked by my own sweat; I'd rather have the sweat washed away by the rain. The only exception is that if I have my phone, I put it in a ziplock bag.

Running during a snowfall can be magical. The flakes absorb sound, so unless the wind is blowing hard it's often really quiet. If there's freshly fallen snow that hasn't been packed down, I run in Salomon Speedcross 3 trail shoes that have pointy lugs for traction. If the snow has been compacted, or if there's ice, I use my regular running shoes with a pair of Kahtoola NanoSpikes (much better than Yaktrax, in my opinion). I slow down a bit and use particular care when changing direction.

Edited to add: there are also snowshoes that are made for running.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I run in the winter and rain no problem, it is the heat that zaps the life out of me!

Give it a try next time it rains, it won't bother you after 60 seconds, after 6 minutes your glad of the cool down :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    No. Visibility factor during winter is lower. Same as running in rain, if you are crossing streets, at dusk, dark. Daylight hours, no, I have fallen on ice, it is not a "run".

There is fitness, and there is having sense to stay safe.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Dress appropriately and you can run outside all year 'round. I won't run if there's an ice storm or thunderstorm but other than that. (and by dressing "appropriately" visibility is a factor, in addition to hi-viz coloured clothes with reflective trim I have a petzl headlamp that I use)
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I ran a 5k once when it was completely pouring! I live in Vancouver, so that's saying a lot haha. It made me feel really bad *kitten*, esp after I was soaked and didn't care anymore.
    Just buy some waterproof gear if you wanna do it frequently :)
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    As the above people mentioned, you can get special cleats for your shoes. I use regular running shoes and keep looking down. They don't use road salt in my development so I am usually pretty safe there or in the park by my house. It only took 1 slip and almost fall (90lb doberman running buddy caught me before I hit the ground or I should say I caught him) before I learned to slow down. I dress in layers in the winter usually a long sleeve shirt and a light water proof jacket, hat and gloves and I am good to go. In the rain just a short sleeve shirt (no white shirts LOL ) and a baseball hat because I hate rain in my eyes and I am a happy camper.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    kimlight2 wrote: »

Likewise... I have not once stepped foot on a treadmill since I started running again in September 2014; I'd rather take some time off from running than run on a treadmill and really it is only ice that will stop me.

I live in Vancouver BC - the Pacific Northwest - and it rains here practically all winter. If I waited out the rain my volume would drop huge and I don't want that, so I run regardless of rain or weather and make it a point to go out in the rainiest stormy weather that we get. It's too easy to start saying "I can't" (which means "I don't want to") run in the rain.

I'll run in snow if it is compact not knee deep but ice on the other hand... I don't run on ice.

Visibility and awareness is key. Between clothing and headlamps visibility is easy to arrange. Stay aware. Leave the headphones at home. Have fun. Get wet!

PS: I'm running these days sock-less in minimalist "bare" style shoes. Running in really wet weather, through puddles and such is no problem - the water just runs out.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    I run outside all year round. I don't run on ice and don't run if it's under 50 and raining. I have no need to be miserable. I did run all winter down to 5 degrees. You just have to dress for the weather and go.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I love running/walking/being in the rain. Just wish southern California had more of it. :(:(
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    The key to running in the rain is leaving a towel and a change of clothes right by the door before you leave. :)

Also, if you run with your phone, a Lifeproof (waterproof) case or Ziploc bag or some such.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Like many others, rain is zero problem, especially since switching to compression running gear. Find some moisture wicking running socks you like. I grab my Injinji midweight socks any time I will do long runs in the rain. Most running shoes have lots of ventilation so any excess water can come out and not pool up in your shoes, and when it stops raining will help your feet dry quickly especially with wicking socks. I also use a hat to keep rain out of my eyes. Most won't go this far, but when I needed a new phone I picked the water resistant one and am thankful every rainstorm for that.

In winter I run in snow without a second thought. Biting cold as well, you just need proper layering (without overdoing it), a hoodie can be helpful too. I do not run on ice. They treat the streets like mad around here with success, so Yaktrax can't work since so many areas will be ice/snow free but maybe just wet, while a similar looking area might be a dangerously slick ice patch. Not worth the risk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dress appropriately- and head out there. no special anything.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I run in the rain. I live in Southern California, so the weather is never too bad. Actually, with this drought, I wish I could run in the rain more! :wink: Wear the right gear and have lots of reflective clothing and gadgets so cars/bikes see you!