Suggestions on low carb, high fiber foods?

Options
I've been having issues cutting carbs, but still getting enough fiber. I'm basically just looking for any suggestions that people have (whether it be individual foods or entire recipes). Any ideas are appreciated :)

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Can I ask, why are you cutting out carbs?

Psyllium husk is pretty good, I've heard.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I agree that carbs are fuel for the body, specially if you are exercising. I eat complex carbs like vegetables, fruits and grains for fiber.
    I have decreased simple carbs like off the shelf baked goods and pastries. I have replaced cereal from a box with oatmeal made from scratch (less sugar, more fiber and more yummy).
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    My journey from 300lbs to my goal weight, I can and will completely attribute to keeping carbs in my diet. As mentioned above, they've given me the fuel that I've needed to get through a lot of my more intense workouts, aided in strength gains, and leave me feeling happier and mentally sharper, overall.

If you want low-carb foods that are high in fibre, hit the vegetables. They're lower-carb, low on the GI, and high in fibre, as long as you're having them whole and not juicing them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Black soybeans.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    There's no real reason to cut out carbs. I on average eat 275-325g of carbs mainly coming from fruits and grains. And I haven't experienced any noticable fat gains. It's not carbs that'll make you gain weight. But try out ground flax seed, great source of fibre and omega 3. Or try out ultimate daily cleanse which is a combination of flax seed and psyllium husk.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »
    My journey from 300lbs to my goal weight, I can and will completely attribute to keeping carbs in my diet. As mentioned above, they've given me the fuel that I've needed to get through a lot of my more intense workouts, aided in strength gains, and leave me feeling happier and mentally sharper, overall.

If you want low-carb foods that are high in fibre, hit the vegetables. They're lower-carb, low on the GI, and high in fibre, as long as you're having them whole and not juicing them.
    Good job btw. I dropped down from 213 to 153 and I definitely couldn't have done it with my several daily servings of fruit

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I've been having issues cutting carbs, but still getting enough fiber. I'm basically just looking for any suggestions that people have (whether it be individual foods or entire recipes). Any ideas are appreciated :)

Raspberries, mushrooms, wheat bran, flax/linseed all have good ratio of fibre to carbs.

If you're American your Total carbohydrates includes fiber so strictly speaking you can't have low carb high fiber unless these are relative terms.,
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat avocados, greens (like spinach or bokchoy), cucumber, celery, some berries and nuts. For "flours" and grain like foods use almond or coconut flour; flax, chia and hemp seeds.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carb, so it's difficult to separate the two.

Raspberries are my favorite high-fiber food. :)
  • sarahwalsh95
    sarahwalsh95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Fibre is a carbohydrate so it's impossible to get fibre from foods which don't contain fibre !! Wholegrain or brown carbohydrates are highest in fibre as well as things like chic peas and beans
  • roryprice0
    roryprice0 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ceral

cereals
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal and I'm from the south so beans and whole grain rice. :wink:
  • francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi !

Most leafy green vegatables will be fine. They contain fiber and not many carbs.
    So, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc....

Also avocados are great for low carb and have fiber too.

A note for others : why criticize her choice of diet before, or even instead of answering her question !

Whatever works for you I say !

Wheter it's cutting carbs, going vegan, low fat, high fat or whatever you choose !
    What's most important is finding a way of eating that works for you and that you can stick to.

You go girl ! Enjoy your low carb veggies !

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Veggies and Berries
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hi !

Most leafy green vegatables will be fine. They contain fiber and not many carbs.
    So, lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc....

Also avocados are great for low carb and have fiber too.

A note for others : why criticize her choice of diet before, or even instead of answering her question !

Whatever works for you I say !

Wheter it's cutting carbs, going vegan, low fat, high fat or whatever you choose !
    What's most important is finding a way of eating that works for you and that you can stick to.

You go girl ! Enjoy your low carb veggies !

because if she is cutting carbs based on some woo woo reason like "carbs make me fat" then maybe she does not need to cut them in the first place and won't have to do back flips to eat "low carb" just because she thinks she has to....

I was not aware that asking a question = being critical...
  • gregjohnson507
    gregjohnson507 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am a proponent of low carb eating. I lost 35 lbs. and kept it off for 3 years without ever going hungry. I use psyllium fiber dissolved in my coffee. High fiber tortillas are good. Lots of vegetables and small amounts of fruit, preferably berries. I make bread from scratch with bread machine. Recipes come from cookbooks by Drs. Micheal and Mary Eades.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

would asking "why are you doing that, you don't need to do so to lose weight" in every thread be constructive and helpful ?

If someone says "I'm doing this, can you help me with X..." I see it as a different question to "Is this the right thing to do to achieve Y..."

• francoisd90
    francoisd90 Posts: 19 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    because if she is cutting carbs based on some woo woo reason like "carbs make me fat" then maybe she does not need to cut them in the first place and won't have to do back flips to eat "low carb" just because she thinks she has to....

Wether you think her diet choice is "woo woo" or not is irrelevant. She didn't ask "Is eating low carb a good idea?", she asked about low carb food with fiber content.

I am merely pointing out that answering her question first is not unresonable.
    It's a bit like asking directions to the train station and being answered "Oh no honey ! What you want is the bus station ! Buses are so much better than trains !"

But you are free to ask anything, pal. I didn't mean to be confrontational !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

would asking "why are you doing that, you don't need to do so to lose weight" in every thread be constructive and helpful ?

If someone says "I'm doing this, can you help me with X..." I see it as a different question to "Is this the right thing to do to achieve Y..."

one cannot gather proper information to provide advice without asking the question.