HELP...

Options
So I started my diet 11 days ago I have cut calories down uped my exercise regularly wearing a waste trainer and my weight is just going up and down! Started at 9 stone went down to 8.10 and I'm now 8.12 and sometimes back up to 9 stone!! Where am I going wrong I have a holiday in a week and can't get into my shorts!!

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong - weight fluctuates, that's how the body works. 11 days isn't long enough to see if your approach is working, you need to watch the trend over several weeks. Sorry but in one week you're not going to be able to change much! If you wanted to lose weight for your holiday you should have started much longer than 3 weeks beforehand.

If you're serious about losing weight and aren't just doing it for your holiday, then make sure you're weighing everything you can with a food scale (don't estimate or use cups), and understand the fluctuations happen. Weight loss isn't linear. Good luck!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    You're not doing anything wrong - weight fluctuates, that's how the body works. 11 days isn't long enough to see if your approach is working, you need to watch the trend over several weeks. Sorry but in one week you're not going to be able to change much! If you wanted to lose weight for your holiday you should have started much longer than 3 weeks beforehand.

If you're serious about losing weight and aren't just doing it for your holiday, then make sure you're weighing everything you can with a food scale (don't estimate or use cups), and understand the fluctuations happen. Weight loss isn't linear. Good luck!

^^ This

Plus ditch the waist trainer. It's unnecessary at best, and could potentially cause organ damage at worst.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? What's your goal weight?
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Seems crazy but ignore the scale for a little while. Your weight is going to fluctuate normally and it will be even more pronounced when you are changing your diet and exercise habits. The waist trainer isn't going to do anything to help you lose weight. You aren't going to be able to lose a significant amount of weight in a week or even a few weeks depending on how close you are to your goal weight.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What are your training your waist to do? Can you teach it tricks?!

seriously though, just keep sticking to the diet plan and give it more time. Water retention from changing food habits and increased exercise will trick the scale. Give it at least 4 weeks before you change anything.
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Give yourself some more time. What's your calorie intake?
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Just go on your holiday and enjoy it. You're not going to lose any significant weight in only one week. Buy a pair of shorts that fit.
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    8 stone is what, 113 lbs? If you are between 1.4 and 1.6m that's already a normal weight. If you don't have much weight to lose, .5lb a week is a healthy goal to set.

Everyone else is right about weight fluctuations and being patient.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    8 stone is what, 113 lbs? If you are between 1.4 and 1.6m that's already a normal weight. If you don't have much weight to lose, .5lb a week is a healthy goal to set.

9 stone is 126; 8.10 would be 122. So OP has fluctuated between 122-126 during her 11 day experiment.
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Buy a pair of shorts that fit.

I'll never understand why this solution isn't more obvious.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Just go on your holiday and enjoy it. You're not going to lose any significant weight in only one week. Buy a pair of shorts that fit.

Shopping is always the answer! :laugh:
  • SignpostPsycho
    SignpostPsycho Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

9 stone is 126; 8.10 would be 122. So OP has fluctuated between 122-126 during her 11 day experiment.

Thanks for the correction! Imperial Units aren't friendly for conversion.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Thanks for the correction! Imperial Units aren't friendly for conversion.

Until I started hanging out here, I never would have been able to do the conversions lol.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    So I started my diet 11 days ago I have cut calories down uped my exercise regularly wearing a waste trainer and my weight is just going up and down! Started at 9 stone went down to 8.10 and I'm now 8.12 and sometimes back up to 9 stone!! Where am I going wrong I have a holiday in a week and can't get into my shorts!!

Waist trainers - they either do nothing, or they can cause damage. They shrink the size of your waist by causing your organs to shift around to places they're not supposed to be (and that's if you have it tight enough to do anything at all). I love corsets (for costuming), but seriously - dump this idea. Long term use can be hazardous.

Otherwise, I think you're doing fine. Eleven days is just super early to see any major results, especially without a lot of weight to lose.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Buy bigger shorts.

Weight fluctuates normally from day to day. You might also retain water due to period, high sodium, lots of exercise, etc. Maybe switch to weighing only once a week if you can't handle seeing your weight fluctuate and be more patient.
    You have very little to lose so progress will be slower. 1/2 lb a week is reasonable goal if you have less than 25 lbs to lose. Even if you try to lose 2 pounds a week- which would be very aggressive goal for most people- it would take several weeks to lose 13 lbs. So be patient.

You will have to be pretty accurate in your logging. You might need to get a food scale and weigh your food if you aren't already. If you are exercising and logging it then you might need to eat back only a portion of those extra calories.

Ditch the waist trainer.
  • carlabillie1
    carlabillie1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm taking in about 1200 calories and burning 300-500 on my exercise bike I have also set up a workout where I do things like squats etc for about 20 minute a day working on different parts of the body I'm 4 foot 11 checked my bmi and apparently 9 stone is over weight! I don't think the diet will last while I'm on holiday iv gone all inclusive I will try to keep to it and eat the healthier options on the menu but likely to be drinking alchol! I booked the holiday about 2 weeks ago and was sorting holiday clothes realising my shorts don't fit! I'm looking to lose a stone! I've also been taking raspberry katones before meals!
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I'm taking in about 1200 calories and burning 300-500 on my exercise bike I have also set up a workout where I do things like squats etc for about 20 minute a day working on different parts of the body I'm 4 foot 11 checked my bmi and apparently 9 stone is over weight! I don't think the diet will last while I'm on holiday iv gone all inclusive I will try to keep to it and eat the healthier options on the menu but likely to be drinking alchol! I booked the holiday about 2 weeks ago and was sorting holiday clothes realising my shorts don't fit! I'm looking to lose a stone! I've also been taking raspberry katones before meals!

As with the waist trainer, get rid of the raspberry ketones. Worthless, other than making the likes of Dr. Oz richer. My advice, stick to watching your calories and exercising, but stop looking for magic bullets. They don't exist.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So you're netting 700-900 calories per day? I don't know you, but if you were my sister I'd HIGHLY encourage you to net more calories than this.

Edit to add: you want to lose 14 lbs in two weeks? You should probably not do this at your weight. Again, if you were my sister, you would get a supportive, heartfelt plea to not do this to your body. You're so young. Set yourself up for a lifetime of success, not crash diets. <3
  • TavistockToad
    edited July 2015
    Options

You're not going to lose a stone in a week... As someone else said, buy new shorts! If you're all inclusive then even if you lose a couple of pounds and your old shorts fit again, by the end of the holiday they won't!
  • carlabillie1
    carlabillie1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to lose a stone in a week I was just aming for my shorts to fit! I Will be doing a lot of walking/swimming on holiday which is more than I do at home so hopefully I will just stay the same and can continue to lose weight when I'm home
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    So instead of buying new shorts, you're buying raspberry ketones, a waist trainer, and netting 700-900 calories per day?

*Sits you down and looks you in the eyes and says in a very supportive way*

STOP what you're doing to your body. Be smart. Don't look for a quick fix. I'm sorry your shorts don't fit, but what you're doing can HARM YOU for the rest of your life, both mentally and physically. I urge you to stop.