"Jelly fat" vs "Solid fat" Easier to lose?

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Brown fat is still fat though right? And in terms of weight loss the type of fat you think you want to lose is irrelevant, your body will do what it wants to do.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Brown fat is still fat though right? And in terms of weight loss the type of fat you think you want to lose is irrelevant, your body will do what it wants to do.

You should research brown fat. It's different than what you think it is.
  • lesliezimmer
    lesliezimmer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion from experience working in the medical field with many doctors, and having many good friends as physicians: They don't learn much of anything about nutrition and weight loss in medical school.

My advice would be to not go to a general doctor to talk about weight loss, or nutrition. Look for a clinic or a specific practitioner who has spend years studying weight loss / nutrition if you need professional advice and help beyond what MFP can off you.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    markiend wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Dr Dre is not a qualified medical physician. He is a doctor of rap.
    I guess he would say that it's "phat" too

He's gonna drop the hottest mixtape of 2015

p8p6exr664c4.png
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    This is just my personal opinion from experience working in the medical field with many doctors, and having many good friends as physicians: They don't learn much of anything about nutrition and weight loss in medical school.

Your personal opinion is actually quite factual. In terms of a general practioner's scope of education, you are speaking the truth.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If your doctor really said that, then you need to find a new one, ASAP.

I dunno. Many gp's don't know jack squat about weight loss, but are actually really really good...at writing Rx refills. That's why I keep mine around.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I read the link, I can see how it functions differently, potentially, but in terms of weight loss currently it's not worth discussing, IMO. The OP has a significant amount to lose, getting into the semantics of "types" of fat and new theories on what brown fat could do isn't really helpful.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Are you sure this "doctor" is an actual doctor?
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I need to tone my fat. Advice?

Eat clean! No pizza, no beer and for gods sake, no ice cream!!!! And be careful, you don't wanna get supa bulky!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I need to tone my fat. Advice?

Eat clean! No pizza, no beer and for gods sake, no ice cream!!!! And be careful, you don't wanna get supa bulky!

Solid advice. :)
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    OP it has been a boring day at work today...you have kept me entertained that's for sure

To be honest, I've also kept myself entertained lol!!! Lol!! I have been so tickled......while learning. @farfromthetree
  • Jackie9950
    Jackie9950 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Fat cells changing in size it what is causing once firm fat to become jelly like fat. So, you do not gain or lose fat cells, they only expand or shrink (unless you are a fan of lipo, then you can lose fat cells.) When your fat cells are expanded (i.e. you eat like crap, your body stores fat, and gain weight) they are being pushed into smaller spaces which causes a more "firm-like" fat and your skin to...expand. Think...clown car with 10 skinny clowns, compared to the same clown car with 10 fat clowns. There isn't enough room.
    When you start exercising and eating healthy at a deficit, you body starts to use it's stored fat, hence the cells start to shrink leaving some extra room between fat cells...hence jelly like fat. As you comtinue and exercise and lift, your skin will hopefully tighten, your muscles will start to build and everything will get firm again, but without the help of expanded fat cells.

This is my take on it. Not a doc (Dre or otherwise) I too noticed the more I lose the gigglier I get, but I keep lifting and and tightening and praying it will go away :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Are you sure this "doctor" is an actual doctor?

frabz-Trust-me-Im-the-Doctor-8b7624.jpg
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

p8p6exr664c4.png

the single off that is hot = Suga Killz
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    792.jpg
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

p8p6exr664c4.png

the single off that is hot = Suga Killz

2nd best hit = detoxify b4 cus u about 2 die
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    wat

Fat is fat. That's all there is.

That's sort of like saying "muscle is muscle". The doctor actually seems to know his stuff! The body tends to burn polyunsaturated fat before it burns saturated fat¹, and saturated is a more solid type of fat. There's a mix of both types in subcutaneous fat, and the ratio can vary from person to person, and in different parts of the body². I've heard that Lyle McDonald explains this in the book "The Stubborn Bodyfat Solution", but i haven't read it.

OP, make sure to exercise several times a week, because there's evidence it can burn more subcutaneous fat than a calorie deficit without regular exercise³.
    And of course do strength training to minimize the loss of muscle that can happen with weight loss. It's best to follow a pro-designed program, instead of your own. :+1:

References:
    1. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1218508/pdf/9210416.pdf
    2. ajcn.nutrition.org/content/50/2/288.full.pdf
    3. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9432085
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP it has been a boring day at work today...you have kept me entertained that's for sure

To be honest, I've also kept myself entertained lol!!! Lol!! I have been so tickled......while learning. @farfromthetree

Jelly fat comes from eating soft foods like brie cheese and solid fat comes from eating hard foods like cheddar cheese. If you can get 100% of your fats from soft foods then they will just fall right out your bottom.

I know this because I am a doctor.
  • tiffanyslimdown
    tiffanyslimdown Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    wat

Fat is fat. That's all there is.

That's sort of like saying "muscle is muscle". The doctor actually seems to know his stuff! The body tends to burn polyunsaturated fat before it burns saturated fat¹, and saturated is a more solid type of fat. There's a mix of both types in subcutaneous fat, and the ratio can vary from person to person, and in different parts of the body². I've heard that Lyle McDonald explains this in the book "The Stubborn Bodyfat Solution", but i haven't read it.

OP, make sure to exercise several times a week, because there's evidence it can burn more subcutaneous fat than a calorie deficit without regular exercise³.
    And of course do strength training to minimize the loss of muscle that can happen with weight loss. It's best to follow a pro-designed program, instead of your own. :+1:

References:
    1. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1218508/pdf/9210416.pdf
    2. ajcn.nutrition.org/content/50/2/288.full.pdf
    3. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9432085

Thank you.