what qualities do you want in a personal trainer?

Options
13»

Replies

• sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Of course i'd like a trainer to be more knowledgeable than myself, however, i won't be a stickler about their education/certification and it's perceived "prestige". I value someone who has years of experience training and has a proven track record of helping people acheive their goal.

I would prefer a male trainer, just because.

I want someone who has experience training people for the specific look i'm going for.

I want someone who is always learning, becoming better, evolving, and bases their practice off of science and facts; not fads and nonsense.

I want a trainer who will be stern with me on finishing my reps, but friendly and treat me as an equal. I do not like trainers that cop an attitude or act like they're better than you. I refuse to work with someone who tries to be all "drill sargeant" on me. Being humble and happy is a must.

I want someone who is a CAREER trainer. Not someone who is a college freshman working to make a few bucks. I want someone who has a genuine passion for fitness, and despite the salary, CHOOSES to do this job.

I want someone who will correct my form, encourage, and push my limits (without being dangerous). Someone who will praise me when i've done an awesome job, and focus positively on what i've accomplished.

I totally agree 100% with this!!

My current trainer (who I've been with for about a year and a half) is a 22 year old competition bodybuilder, kinesiology geek with an ISSA certification. He is constantly reading articles and watching videos and sharing his knowledge with me.

He's one that will tell you "rest - pause as many times as you want...but you're not getting up off that calf raise til I get my reps". He's pushed me out of my comfort zone, and helped me achieve things that impress the (big, muscular) guys in the weight room (like the time I did a 1 rep squat at the same weight they were using for 5 reps).

I smile every time I remember the time he looked at me and said "not to be weird or anything...but when you were on the leg curl, I noticed that you have REALLY nice quads". And just a few days ago, he told me he noticed my waist is definitely getting smaller <3

I know there ARE women who are capable of training me, and even spotting me when I'm squatting heavy...but I love my male trainer. I know 100%, he can keep me safe no matter what we are doing.
  • prideofthelion
    prideofthelion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have got to add one more, they have got to be competitive and up for taking me on. if i dont have a sense of competition i dont push myself hard, if I feel like I am about to loose I double to effort, if I feel like i am about to let my win slip i double the effort. I love the feeling that I have pushed and inspired my PT to work harder than they have before, perhaps thats my mentality trying to tell me somthing. NB the victory has to be a challenge otherwise its just not the same.

thanks for all the input gents and ladies!!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    One that believes in squats.
  • prideofthelion
    prideofthelion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    @ WillLift4Tats - not only must they believe in them they gotta rock them!!
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    @ WillLift4Tats - not only must they believe in them they gotta rock them!!

Indeed
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Kr15by wrote: »
    Has to be in better shape than me
    This.

I've seen people post that they like having trainers who aren't in very good shape because this makes them feel comfortable. I find that baffling. Why wouldn't you want a trainer who knows how to achieve results and has actually done so?

Just saying, it's important to remember that not all of these trainers may be in their prime anymore either.

Our lovely "Starting Strength" program was created by this guy.

And of course, there's the "New Rules of Lifting" program, created by this guy.

Both have made wildly successful and popular programs, neither look "ultra fit".

Hell... look at arnold....

article-1381170-0BCBFDC000000578-566_224x423.jpg

haha, ya just because someone knows their stuff, doesn't mean they follow it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    3AAnn3 wrote: »
    spartan_d wrote: »
    Kr15by wrote: »
    Has to be in better shape than me
    This.

I've seen people post that they like having trainers who aren't in very good shape because this makes them feel comfortable. I find that baffling. Why wouldn't you want a trainer who knows how to achieve results and has actually done so?

Just saying, it's important to remember that not all of these trainers may be in their prime anymore either.

Our lovely "Starting Strength" program was created by this guy.

And of course, there's the "New Rules of Lifting" program, created by this guy.

Both have made wildly successful and popular programs, neither look "ultra fit".

Hell... look at arnold....

article-1381170-0BCBFDC000000578-566_224x423.jpg

haha, ya just because someone knows their stuff, doesn't mean they follow it.

Didn't he have a bunch of injuries and a heart thing? Look, people, you can be as tough as you want, but age and time even get to Schwarzeneggers.

Curious about this whole thing about people needing their trainers to be male. I have a female physiotherapist, and have worked with a female trainer, and both are tough as *kitten*.
  • shennin001
    shennin001 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    For me the trainer would have to be kind of scary tough that way i could respect him/her and not get my way, but not so much that i'm scared to even go to training. Oh and someone that doesn't make me feel bad about the way i currently look but motivates me to be better.