Benefits of Walking?

Options

Replies

• Madame_Goldbrick
    Madame_Goldbrick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Agree on the C25K. Additionally if you can find a steep hill incline walking will up the burns and increase your fitness capacity better than walking a flat route.
  • annetaryn
    annetaryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    dwozniak16 wrote: »
    annetaryn wrote: »
    I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

To be completely honest I think walking was the best exercise I've ever done for myself.
    I essentially walked off most of my weight that I lost. I think my first 3 months of eating right and just walking daily i lost 45 pounds. Right now I'm at 85 lost with weights included.

Oh wow! I long would you walk for? I walk at a quick lace and work up a sweat but for some reason I don't think it's enough. I'm not giving up though!
  • annetaryn
    annetaryn Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Agree on the C25K. Additionally if you can find a steep hill incline walking will up the burns and increase your fitness capacity better than walking a flat route.

Jogging sounds scary to me haha. Feels like my lungs will explode lol
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    you can start small. jog one block, walk one block etc
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Personally, based on how little difference it makes to my weight loss, I burn up very few calories with exercise, no matter how strenuous it is. If walking is convenient and you like it, there seems to me to be no reason to change it.

However...

Just today in my local newspaper there was an article about a number of people who lost significant weight since they began to use the relatively new commuter rail. The community where I live got a commuter train up and running about a year ago. If people's commutes run along a roughly north/south path, then this works for them somewhat, but bus transportation from the train stations to other destinations east or west can be sketchy. These train riders now bike (they say 200 bikes a day are taken on the trains now) or walk to and from the train stations and have unexpectedly lost weight and I mean something like 40 or 50 pounds over the past year. The article doesn't say whether these riders made any changes to their food intake.

This seems, at least on the surface, to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom that one's diet matters far more than one's activity for weight loss. Either way, I think walking is respectable exercise, no matter why you do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Personally, based on how little difference it makes to my weight loss, I burn up very few calories with exercise, no matter how strenuous it is. If walking is convenient and you like it, there seems to me to be no reason to change it.

However...

Just today in my local newspaper there was an article about a number of people who lost significant weight since they began to use the relatively new commuter rail. The community where I live got a commuter train up and running about a year ago. If people's commutes run along a roughly north/south path, then this works for them somewhat, but bus transportation from the train stations to other destinations east or west can be sketchy. These train riders now bike (they say 200 bikes a day are taken on the trains now) or walk to and from the train stations and have unexpectedly lost weight and I mean something like 40 or 50 pounds over the past year. The article doesn't say whether these riders made any changes to their food intake.

This seems, at least on the surface, to fly in the face of the conventional wisdom that one's diet matters far more than one's activity for weight loss. Either way, I think walking is respectable exercise, no matter why you do it.

not really...if their consumption didn't change, it makes perfect sense...they are more active and consuming the same calories as if they were less active...the diet is still key there...if they increase their calories to accommodate the activity then they would continue to maintain or even gain weight.

I've lost, maintained, and gained weight while exercising regularly and maintaining a reasonably good level of general activity despite a desk job...the difference between those weight control goals is my consumption. And actually, the more active I am...particularly if I"m actually training vs working out, the harder it is to maintain my weight...I'm hungry all of the time and want to eat everything. I put on a good 5 Lbs when i was training for my first century despite logging hundreds of training miles because I was insatiable.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

However...

The problem with the so called conventional wisdom is that people assume that people will increase the amount they eat as they increase their activity. In a case like this, were people aren't really thinking about the fact they are increasing their activity, there's really no reason to think they'll change their habits, so their calorie intake stays about the same.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    When my kids were old enough to sit up, I started using a back pack to carry them in. My oldest had colic and was a very fussy baby. Using the back pack was the only way I could get anything done. When my second came along, I paid a baby sitter so I had time to work out, I needed it both mentally and physically. Walking helps me to stay strong, and have more flexibility to get needed nutrients while staying under a calorie count that allows me to loose weight. It also helps with my anxiety and depression.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Whilst walking won't have the same sort of benefits for weight as higher intensity workouts do, it has done me good. The bottom of my legs are toned and I can walk reasonable distances comfortably now. When I first started walking to work,I was a mess by the time I arrived, so it must have done my health good. I love walking, its the one time of day I get to just relax and enjoy the outdoors - good for relaxing too I think!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    What has walking done for you?

58841349.png

Yup!

83768904.png

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    OP, can you do 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels while the baby is asleep or otherwise occupied in addition to 30 minutes of walking outdoors?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I thought of this thread a couple of hours ago when I was out walking. A father was out exercise walking with his little one (maybe 3 months old) in a front carrier. Loved it! He was so cute carrying that baby.
  • Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I love walking! Get yourself a babysling if your little one doesn't like the stroller.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. Strap the baby on!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Walking 10 miles most days gives me roughly 1000 extra calories. Best thing ever! :D
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Put that baby in a pack and take off. Most cranky babies are soothed that way and the extra weight will make you strong. I love to walk. I listen to audiobooks on my phone and take my dog. It reduces so much stress.
  • 460mustang
    460mustang Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do a net search for, " How to Get Fit Solely By a Baby Stroller " Walking is good, I do it everyday, usually for 40 min.
  • dwozniak16
    dwozniak16 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    dwozniak16 wrote: »
    I usually only have about 30 minutes that I can get away from baby to exercise. In that time I'll usually go for a walk at a brisk pace. I usually only burn about 150 calories though. I'm curious if this is enough to see a difference. The walking has been paired with good nutrition. What has walking done for you?

To be completely honest I think walking was the best exercise I've ever done for myself.
    I essentially walked off most of my weight that I lost. I think my first 3 months of eating right and just walking daily i lost 45 pounds. Right now I'm at 85 lost with weights included.

Oh wow! I long would you walk for? I walk at a quick lace and work up a sweat but for some reason I don't think it's enough. I'm not giving up though!

I'm so sorry I'm just seeing this now,

I would walk anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour a day.
    I think the big help was using an incline though.
    I'd walk at a 3.5 pace at a 15.0 incline on the treadmill.