Does being told you are thin ever get old?

Options

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    never gets old! I love saying, "yeah well, i used to be fat".
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone thinks. I live by the rule that 99% of people are clueless di%ks.
  • starfish235
    starfish235 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have been from the edge of obese to at goal weight and told to gain weight. I don't like it when people tell me I need to gain weight. I covered my upper body when I was heavy. I have thin legs. People need to keep comments about weight to their selves. If you are fat you know you are fat. People at what ever weight they are need to be loved as a person. Weight is a personal issue.
  • PneumaVision
    PneumaVision Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The question of greater interest to me is: does being told you're old ever get thin? ;)
  • bionic_woman
    bionic_woman Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I've been called "too thin" and that's just plain irritating.
    Interestingly both times by fat, failed dieters.

People react to the same words differently BTW - to me "thin" and "skinny" are negatives and "slim" is a positive descriptor.

I feel the same way.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I'm still over 20 lbs away from my goal, and somebody told me a few weeks ago that I'm "quite slim." I know that's not really true, but it still made me pretty freaking happy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. No because it's nice, yes because frankly, I'm not thin.
  • erichknguyen
    erichknguyen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Being called thin makes me feel like I've been malnourished! But when someone says I look leaner, that's a different story ;)
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    After being heavy most of my life, I lost 70 pounds and have been maintaining for over a year and a half now. While people I've known all along have generally (understandably) stopped making comments about my weight, I still feel surprised when someone says something about me being "skinny" or "thin". I usually get a thrill over it or look over my shoulder to make sure they are actually talking to me. Now, I'm 5'9" tall and weight around 145 (BMI of around 21), so I am at a healthy weight. The comments aren't personal or meant to be negative; more along the lines of a new massage therapist I went to who said she could feel the tension in my hip flexors because I was "super thin" or the girl at the department store who said I would look good in a particular dress because I was "so small". Do you ever get tired of hearing you are thin (or any other synonym)?

ABSOLUTELY YES - When the remarks about my body size starts to be more thin shaming because of other's poor body image of themselves, it becomes more of a back-handed compliment. God forbid if I point out if someone is heavy. It's all relative to body image & frankly it's no one's business imho.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    It did for me, so I started lifting weights. No one says I am thin anymore.

JohStewartBOOM_zps6fa3980d.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    If I start getting that more, I usually take it as a cue that I've been mentioning watching my diet too much. People tend not to say it to me out of the blue.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Not for me lol...probably because it feels a lot better than the ***** that made sure to comment about how big I'd gotten since she last saw me (before I started losing).

What DOES get annoying is those who make comments like "I ate so much at lunch...oh but you're so thin you don't have to worry about that." Like thinness just magically appears from...thin air ;) and not hard work.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    Not for me lol...probably because it feels a lot better than the ***** that made sure to comment about how big I'd gotten since she last saw me (before I started losing).

What DOES get annoying is those who make comments like "I ate so much at lunch...oh but you're so thin you don't have to worry about that." Like thinness just magically appears from...thin air ;) and not hard work.

I don't know that that is what they actually mean, but there is some truth to what they say. If you are well within the normal range, it would take several meals at which you overate to reach a point at which you would need to lose weight. But the obese person realizes they are unhealthy and anything they eat in excess will put them even farther from where they know they need to be. On top of that, the thin person has probably learned how to deal with overeating and can make up for it more easily.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

Terar21 hit the nail on the head. A true compliment never gets old for me. "Wow, you look great!" or "You look like you've been working out!" feels nice. What pisses me off is when my sedentary, burger-gorging office mates say "You're so lucky to be so thin." Nope, it's not luck at all. It's working my *kitten* off, passing on the junk food (even though it looks awesome), finding little ways to be more active throughout the day despite my office job, and lots of holding myself accountable (via MFP). Stop minimizing my efforts by calling it "luck."
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I don't really like the word 'thin'. Like some others, it has a negative connotation to me.
    It conjures up images of being malnourished etc. Which I most definitely am not lol

However, a friend I hadn't seen for a while recently referred to me as "F'king fit".

I'll take that happily :wink: :smiley:
  • victoriaamarie1330
    victoriaamarie1330 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between those saying "You look great" and "you're so skinny" or "you're too thin." I am thin, I'll admit that, but I am healthy and strong. I can squat more than my bodyweight and deadlift 2x my bodyweight, so when people tell me I am too skinny, yes I do get agitated.
  • indiecupcake89
    indiecupcake89 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm also 5'9 and although my goal weight was 145, I unintentionally got down to 138lbs. My family and pretty much anyone I have met who doesn't know me, make comments on how I'm too thin or bony etc. This caused me to put on weight just to please everyone. I wanted to get back to 145 but due to stress from graduating/being unemployed etc I gained an extra unwanted 5 lbs that I plan on losing slowly.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to like it then I discovered something way better than thin. Fit. Thin doesn't always look good. Fit always looks good. And you can eat cakes and stuff.

Agreed! I am not thin, so I rarely get called that. I do get called fit though, which is nice. Because not only did I eat for it, I worked/am working really hard for it and it's nice to know my efforts are paying off.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I don't like skinny or thin, so it makes me uncomfortable to be called that - but the intent is good, so I say thank you.

If you really want to get on my good side, call me strong or fit.
  • HAS415
    HAS415 Posts: 48 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm still getting used to it.