Cutting out Sugar and Alcohol

Options
jimbopolo
jimbopolo Posts: 40 Member
Yesterday I started my 3 week minimum challenge to cut out all food that has added sugar in and also alcohol. It is only day 2 and I am already finding it tough. Has anyone else out there cut out sugar from their diet/lifestyle that can offer any tips?

Replies

• dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've cut sugar out (still working on the alcohol part). As far as cutting sugar the best way is to do it child turkey, 0 sugar. The first couple days is tough and you'll feel sluggish, just hang in there. After about a week you'll feel much more energized and won't even miss it
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've cut sugar out (still working on the alcohol part). As far as cutting sugar the best way is to do it child turkey, 0 sugar. The first couple days is tough and you'll feel sluggish, just hang in there. After about a week you'll feel much more energized and won't even miss it
    0 sugar, now. Do you eat fruits and vegetables?
  • jimbopolo
    Options
    I have a mixed vegetable and fruit juice at lunch and starting to explore more vegetables in the evening meal. I did cut out alcohol earlier in the year for 8 weeks though I ended up substituting that with more sugary foods. How long have you both been off sugar?
  • FredSetToGetFit
    FredSetToGetFit Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Remember that fruit juice have a lot of fructose in it.
  • jimbopolo
    Options
    I just read about that this morning, I don't know how i would work out how much is too much
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Stay away from fruit juices, they are full of sugar. If you want fruit just eat fruit and get the benefit of the fiber. I'm one week into the same thing you're doing. Its hard to eliminate all added sugars but as long as you are reading labels you will be ok... theres some things you just wont be able to avoid but you can certainly make due. Good luck!
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Why? You can lose weight and still consume sugar and alcohol. Everything in moderation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    Why? You can lose weight and still consume sugar and alcohol. Everything in moderation.

this.

OP - unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to avoid sugar...
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical reason to avoid sugar?
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving up my wine, bananna splits or my pie. Good luck to you though.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this.

or alcohol.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    How about just eating all foods in moderation?? Mind blown!! ;)
  • thecountofsudan
    thecountofsudan Posts: 92 Member
    Options
  • Epaho
    Epaho Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Or maybe a little more support and a little less contradiction regarding choices is in order? I am trying to cut out sugars too - its a slippery slope for me and I can't moderate. Good luck OP - it's not easy.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    jimbopolo wrote: »
    Yesterday I started my 3 week minimum challenge to cut out all food that has added sugar in and also alcohol. It is only day 2 and I am already finding it tough. Has anyone else out there cut out sugar from their diet/lifestyle that can offer any tips?

you finding it hard to cope with or difficult to implement ?

You chose to cut out "added sugar" which is fairly straightforward if you don't buy any processed foods or restaurant meals and cook from scratch without adding sugar.

"Free sugars" is a more difficult definition - the fruit juice has to go - and "sugar" more difficult still esp as there are small amounts in vegetables etc.
  • ryanrieb
    ryanrieb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Do you have to have a reason to want to eliminate added sugar from your diet? OP is asking for advice from people who have done the same thing.. not peoples $.02 about why he doesnt need to do it.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this.

or alcohol.
    Agreed--unless you're insulin resistant and/or diabetic, MFPs gram allowances for sugar are reasonable enough. I suppose one could exclude all sugar (including sugar naturally occurring in foods), but that would severely limit your food choices, and life's too short.

I am with you that moderating sugar is a good thing--I try to keep mine at or below 30 g, and I do feel better.
  • MyWitchySelf
    MyWitchySelf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Why must ppl ask why? The OP is asking ppls thoughts on a choice he is choosing to try out for himself and what works for others. There is nothing wrong with that!!

OP-lowering your food choices with added sugar is and has been proven to be good for our bodies, the american diet consists of way to much added sugar and it wouldn't hurt any of us to lower our intakes of it. Good luck on your journey and I do hope it works out great for you!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Why must ppl ask why?The OP is asking ppls thoughts on a choice he is choosing to try out for himself and what works for others. There is nothing wrong with that!!

OP-lowering your food choices with added sugar is and has been proven to be good for our bodies, the american diet consists of way to much added sugar and it wouldn't hurt any of us to lower our intakes of it. Good luck on your journey and I do hope it works out great for you!

Because it's a discussion in a forum?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Why must ppl ask why? The OP is asking ppls thoughts on a choice he is choosing to try out for himself and what works for others. There is nothing wrong with that!!

because it is day 2 and OP feels like he is going to fail his 30 day thing. Did you read the OP?

So we ask why unrealistic expectations that OP might not be able to accomplish.