Are you a positive person?

Options
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to comment in these forums. I try to be very positive and supportive, while keeping in mind that different things work for different people. I'm just so surprised by those people that make back handed comments (usually it's someone who's lost a lot or all of their goal weight) disagreeing or putting someone down because they are achieving their goals in a different way than they did. If you aren't contributing positively to a conversation, then why are you commenting at all? Being around negative people is something that has blocked me from keeping up with with my goals in the past.

SO... If you like to have supportive positive friends on here, add me!

If you are someone who reads this and thinks for second about writing something negative or off putting, save yourself some trouble and just block me right now!! Thanks

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I feel the same way. If you don't have something nice to say than don't say anything at all. Everyone is different and everyone has to find what works for them. I wish you much success in your journey.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Definitely positive person. I'm optimistic about everyone's chances at physical improvement. However, I won't pacify them if I feel anything they are doing doesn't benefit them. If they are doing a program I KNOW is just a fad or scam, I'll let them know it. Sometimes people will view that as "negative", but in truth it SHOULD create a positive reaction.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Positive here! Sent you a friend request. The way I lose weight might not be the same for you (you meaning everyone else), but I don't push it on anyone. All I want is to see active people staying under calorie goals and most importantly KEEP THE WEIGHT OFF!
  • Fivefarthings
    Fivefarthings Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I get a bit annoyed by the 'know it alls' on here, the one who just argue constantly with someone if the way they are doing something isn't the way they would do it. There's no harm in giving constructive criticism and guidance (esp if someone has taken on a diet or plan that is going to be really bad for them or its a fad etc) but some times people in here are so mean and dismissive it really gets my goat!
  • MisterZ33
    MisterZ33 Posts: 567 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    im a realist with an open mind. There is a lot I don't know about a variety of subjects, health and fitness being one of them, so I dont pretend that I do.

At the same time, if im doing something that is a red flag or incorrect, i would rather someone speak up and tell me so that i don't carry on with the same errors.

There is a difference between being critical and rude. If they want to be the latter, I can usually bypass any BS and investigate further into the crux of their advice.
  • Iron_Mommy
    Iron_Mommy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @allaboutthefood Agreed! And thank you, good luck to you as well.

@ninerbuff I totally understand that point of view. If someone is taking on a crazy crash diet, or using a bunch of fad diet pills of course they should be informed that it is bad for them and will almost certainly gain all the weight back. But, it needs to come from a positive tone of voice. Better yet, it needs to come from someone they trust or an expert. And people will take it negatively, but you are right that in those cases...the truth hurts.

@busyPK So glad to connect with you! I'll be cheering you on!

@Fivefarthings Exactly! That's what gets under my skin too!

@MisterZ33 I'm glad to hear it. One thing i've come to realize is that I need to educate myself more when it comes to health and fitness. And sometimes, not believe everything I read on the internet! lol

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.
  • sjebert
    sjebert Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    It bothers me when people think that weight loss is a one size fits all. What works for you, might not work for me. Everyone needs to find what works for them and go with it.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Iron_Mommy wrote: »
    If you aren't contributing positively to a conversation, then why are you commenting at all?
    It seems like you might be conflating "criticism" with "contributing negatively." Sometimes people do foolish things and pointing out those foolish things is a much more positive contribution than "Hang in there, you, just keep doing what you're doing. You deserve success. <3<3 "

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    Lolz.

+1
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options

@ninerbuff I totally understand that point of view. If someone is taking on a crazy crash diet, or using a bunch of fad diet pills of course they should be informed that it is bad for them and will almost certainly gain all the weight back. But, it needs to come from a positive tone of voice. Better yet, it needs to come from someone they trust or an expert. And people will take it negatively, but you are right that in those cases...the truth hurts.

If it needs to come from someone they trust or an expert then they should ask someone they trust or an expert. Coming to a public forum to ask advice and then expecting only positive affirmations that they are doing the right thing is unrealistic. As far as tone of voice goes, the longer you stick around the forums you will see that the "know it alls" typically are people who have done a lot of research and know their stuff. From what I have seen, most of the time it is just stated matter of factly. Putting sunshine and rainbows around what they are saying doesn't make it any more or less valid.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This thread comes up so regularly that I have a standard copy/paste answer for it. Would you like to read it? I really don't care; I'm posting it anyway:
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) and let the mods deal with it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

Honestly, I have a copy/paste set-up for a lot of the advice that I give on these forums. Because after the 13th time PER DAY that I've been shouted at by someone who didn't really want advice or obliquely insulted by threads like this one, no, I'm not able to stay very positive. And I've been called negative/mean/bully/troll for using copy/paste advice. So, there really is no winning for anyone who's active on this site.

If that wasn't positive enough for you, well, you're welcome to block me. Just as soon as the ignore function comes back. We've been waiting for it's return for about 9 months now.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    JenAndSome wrote: »

If it needs to come from someone they trust or an expert then they should ask someone they trust or an expert. Coming to a public forum to ask advice and then expecting only positive affirmations that they are doing the right thing is unrealistic. As far as tone of voice goes, the longer you stick around the forums you will see that the "know it alls" typically are people who have done a lot of research and know their stuff. From what I have seen, most of the time it is just stated matter of factly. Putting sunshine and rainbows around what they are saying doesn't make it any more or less valid.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever seen around here is to read all posts in Kermit the Frog's voice. Not only is it entertaining to try, but it cuts through a lot of the tone that people tend to put onto another person's post.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread comes up so regularly that I have a standard copy/paste answer for it. Would you like to read it? I really don't care; I'm posting it anyway:
    It's been my experience that every helpful poster on these forums, every single one, will be called rude, mean, negative, troll, bully, etc. at some point or another no matter how carefully they phrase their advice. Posts like this tend not to be very helpful. When every helpful poster is called out as mean at some point or another, then making a post like this without examples or qualifications just ends up pointing fingers at everyone.

There is some actual rudeness that goes above and beyond what should be acceptable here. Report it (use the actual report function not the flags) and let the mods deal with it. But posts like this just add to the negative atmosphere that you're trying to combat instead of solving anything.

Honestly, I have a copy/paste set-up for a lot of the advice that I give on these forums. Because after the 13th time PER DAY that I've been shouted at by someone who didn't really want advice or obliquely insulted by threads like this one, no, I'm not able to stay very positive. And I've been called negative/mean/bully/troll for using copy/paste advice. So, there really is no winning for anyone who's active on this site.

If that wasn't positive enough for you, well, you're welcome to block me. Just as soon as the ignore function comes back. We've been waiting for it's return for about 9 months now.

/thread.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I wonder why I even bother to comment in these forums. I try to be very positive and supportive, while keeping in mind that different things work for different people. I'm just so surprised by those people that make back handed comments (usually it's someone who's lost a lot or all of their goal weight) disagreeing or putting someone down because they are achieving their goals in a different way than they did. If you aren't contributing positively to a conversation, then why are you commenting at all? Being around negative people is something that has blocked me from keeping up with with my goals in the past.

SO... If you like to have supportive positive friends on here, add me!

If you are someone who reads this and thinks for second about writing something negative or off putting, save yourself some trouble and just block me right now!! Thanks

That's one of the most negative positivity posts I've ever seen. Well done on upping the irony around here.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I don't do sugar coating or misguided asspats. Ask my kids. Also it's ironic to me that you talk about being totally supportive and all sunshine and bunnies and yet here you are lashing out at people who don't have the same approach as you. I think that's called hypocrisy.

And the saddest thing of all ... the block feature no longer exists. :cry:
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

HighFiveSnowWhite.gif
  • JessicaOnFitTrip
    JessicaOnFitTrip Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very very positive person here! Don't like negativity at all and don't work well with meanies or trolls. I try to keep them off my page as much as possible.

And anyone that's with me, about spreading positive motivation, positive feedback, and a general positive outlook on life, cheers to you, :drinker: and please feel free to add me. :heart: