Lightly Active or Sedentary? Please help

Options
I'm trying to differentiate if I'm Lighty Active or Sedentary so I can fill out my nutrional macros.

I sit at a computer at least 8 hours a day. My activity is I work 10,000 steps every day and I work out with weights for 20 minutes 5 days a week. Even though it is only 20 minutes, I take minimal time off between sets (30 seconds) and try to work hard.

Would you say I'm Lightly Active or Sedentary?

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. The exercise you do is logged separately.
  • rnasm
    rnasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have noticed there are somewhat two "schools of thought" on this:
    1. Based on workout: If you "exercise" an average total of 1 and a half hours per week, then you are lightly active. In this case, even if you are not reaching your 10,000 steps I would still consider you so.
    2. Based on normal lifestyle: Mostly what you do beside "exercising". The categories in general are if you work at a computer 8 hours a day then be definition it is sedentary. Lightly active is for some teachers or sales people who their work means standing for longer times.
    Sorry if this is not much help, but this is what I have noticed. I am less active than you (I only do exercise for 1.5 hours per week without step counting) and I still change my answer depending on the context. If the choice is to setup exercise and fitness goals I go with sedentary as besides trying to meet these goals I lead a sedentary life. If it is for overall way of life I sometimes chose lightly active.

With the combination of 10,000 step/day and 20min heavy exercise I would still err on the side of Lightly Active. In general it could depend on why you need to identify this classification as well as how do you reach your 10,000 steps/day.

Cheers,
    Rana
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Sedentary.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. I have a desk job & commute to work by public transportation. My commute helps me get to 10k steps a day.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Sedentary...
  • grza36
    grza36 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    If there's any doubt whatsoever, sedentary.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I run ultra marathons and am incredibly active. But, I sit at a desk for eight hours a day. I put sedentary for myself. :p
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Sedentary if you're adding exercise calories to eat... Lightly active if you're not counting exercise calories to eat. The key here is not to add the calories twice so you end up overeating.
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I hear ya but I agree with the folks on here: sedentary is what my doctor told me to choose. I sit off and on for 8 hours a day at work. I do take 10 minute walks every two hours though and workout after work but most of my day is on my can.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sedentary. If you end up losing too quickly, adjust.
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like to claim sedentary so that I can log my exercise calories and be "rewarded" for what I did. Also, it gives me buffer so that I'm more likely to eat less than my goal rather than more than my goal. Since all nutritional labels have up to like 20% error and measurements can't always be precise, even if you're weighing foods, I like the fact that sedentary means I will more likely come in under rather than over my goal.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Yeah I always just go by occupation. My job has me sittin at a desk, no matter how much exercise I do the rest of the day.
  • rnasm
    rnasm Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    rnasm wrote: »
    If the choice is to setup exercise and fitness goals I go with sedentary as besides trying to meet these goals I lead a sedentary life. If it is for overall way of life I sometimes chose lightly active.

Sorry I somehow missed reading first line of your question :blush:
    timmax wrote: »
    I'm trying to differentiate if I'm Lighty Active or Sedentary so I can fill out my nutrional macros.

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    timmax wrote: »

I sit at a computer at least 8 hours a day. My activity is I work 10,000 steps every day and I work out with weights for 20 minutes 5 days a week. Even though it is only 20 minutes, I take minimal time off between sets (30 seconds) and try to work hard.

Would you say I'm Lightly Active or Sedentary?

Just go with the lowest to be on the safe side and reevaluate after a couple of months.