Losing Weight without Working Out?

Options

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    If you are strict about portion control, you can lose weight without exercising. Check out this New York Times article, which explains why eating less is far more important than exercising: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?abt=0002&abg=0
    I would hardly say eating less is far more important then exercising. The body was meant to move... a lot. Sure you can lose weight without exercise, but just because you can does not mean you should. Exercising offers so many benefits–supporting weight loss is merely one of them.

In my experience, people put too much emphasis on diet and not nearly enough on exercise...

Tell that to the folks who think sex in an exercise.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    If you are strict about portion control, you can lose weight without exercising. Check out this New York Times article, which explains why eating less is far more important than exercising: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/16/upshot/to-lose-weight-eating-less-is-far-more-important-than-exercising-more.html?abt=0002&abg=0
    I would hardly say eating less is far more important then exercising. The body was meant to move... a lot. Sure you can lose weight without exercise, but just because you can does not mean you should. Exercising offers so many benefits–supporting weight loss is merely one of them.

In my experience, people put too much emphasis on diet and not nearly enough on exercise...

You are making no sense...

• yopeeps025
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

You are making no sense...

From my experience, the women who feel sex is an exercise are not really in shape. One of them were saying they think they were very close to my weight when I weighed 210.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I'd like to support what a previous poster said about your mother. I see that you are only 18, so I don't know how viable moving out on your own is, but you need to get yourself out of that toxic environment. You can love yourself NOW, by the way – it shouldn't be dependent on how much you weigh. Your mother and sister have done a lot of damage to you by saying those things. If you can't leave physically, then you need to tune out their noise as much as possible and start loving yourself as you are now.

God, stuff like that makes me SO MAD. I can't even believe family does that to a loved one.

That said, I have grown to love exercise over the past year! Find something that you enjoy doing so that you want to keep doing it. Try some new things. For me, it's been running, tennis, hiking, cycling, and yoga, and there are more things I want to do! For you it might be something else. I'm to the point now where if I don't exercise it feels funny.

However, you don't have to exercise to lose weight, as others have mentioned. For me, it makes it more fun. I love the rush I get after a job well done, and it makes me feel powerful and strong. And it all started with short walks, because that was all I could do. I can now run 3.1 miles (5K) without too much trouble, and I'm aiming for much more!

Good luck to you and PLEASE take care of yourself. Move out if you can.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    People see exercising as punishment. I don't get it.

Exercising is (to me, naturally) many times more beneficial for the brain than the body.
    Nothing worth doing in life is easy.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    andrikosDE wrote: »
    And when it's easy, where's the fun in that?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    People see exercising as punishment. I don't get it.

Exercising is (to me, naturally) many times more beneficial for the brain than the body.

I actually fine progressive overload a very easy concept to accomplish. Exercising to me is not difficult.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    And when it's easy, where's the fun in that?

Exactly my line of thinking...
    :)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I know everyone is different, but for me exercising and eating for what my body needs go hand in hand.

I don't exercise so I can eat more, though that's an awesome side benefit, I do it because it makes me feel good and it's fun! I rollerblade so 100% of my exercise is outside in the Florida sun. After blading the last thing I want to do is eat high calorie, highly processed junk food.

So I eat better, which makes my blading easier, which is building my muscles better, which makes me blade more, which makes me want to eat properly. It's a good circle to be in. So while it may be possible to lose weight without any sort of exercise at all, doing something, anything may yield you some benefits you didn't know exist.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism. Eat lots of protein and healthy fats instead for about 3 months. Take ephedra (OTC asthma meds) with caffeine if you aren't on thyroid meds or have heart trouble. Drink 4 cups of green tea and a gallon of water daily. Don't work out on this diet or you will be too sore and tired, your muscles need carbs to uptake protein. Again, only do this for 3 months and cycle back to a balanced diet. Your heart will thank you.

With all respect for your opinion orangevalkyrie, to the OP please don't follow this advice. Especially taking ephedra. Nothing can really take the place of sensible (for your body) calorie intake and sensible (for your body) exercise or daily movement. There is no "magic".

• maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight without exercise.

Weight loss is about burning more calories than you consume - Calories in - Calories out (CICO).

Most of your weight loss is going to come from eating less, not exercise. An hour on the treadmill or exercise bike will only burn about 200 calories. That's about a slice of pizza. It's generally much easier to create a deficit by eating less than by exercising your way to one.

A 2-pound-per-week weight loss goal, which is about the most aggressive goal recommended, requires a caloric deficit of about 1000 calories per day. Trying to achieve that through exercise, particularly if you are not currently in shape, is very hard to do. You would probably have to spend at least 2 hours a day exercising to achieve it, and that with strenuous exercise.

That said, one of the problems with losing body fat is that your body responds to that by reducing your metabolism about 10%-15%, mostly as a result of skeletal muscles becoming about 20% more efficient in an attempt to preserve energy and fat stores. Exercise may counter this effect. This is important because in order to lose weight not only will you have to hit your standard deficit but you will have to eat 10%-15% less than that to be achieving the full deficit. Exercise may let you eat more by disallowing the body to cut muscle metabolism.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you want to lose just weight then by all means eat less then you burn. If you want to lose fat and keep your muscles, then I would advise exercising as well...
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose just weight then by all means eat less then you burn. If you want to lose fat and keep your muscles, then I would advise exercising as well...

This.
  • nikkidoodleee
    nikkidoodleee Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Hey, if you don't believe in losing weight without working out, please stop commenting on my thread. Clearly you don't believe in it and now you're just spamming. So please leave the thread, thank you.

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Just eat in a calorie deficit you will lose weight
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Hey, if you don't believe in losing weight without working out, please stop commenting on my thread. Clearly you don't believe in it and now you're just spamming. So please leave the thread, thank you.

But...he's right.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    An hour on the treadmill or exercise bike will only burn about 200 calories. That's about a slice of pizza. It's generally much easier to create a deficit by eating less than by exercising your way to one.

For me, running an hour burns about 500 or so calories (approximately 6 miles).

Eating 1400 is a lot different than eating 1900; eating 1200 is different than eating 1700, etc.

It's also easier for me to eat in a healthy, lower calorie way if I feel like I have a reason to do so (improving overall fitness), and I'm focused on performance.

But yes, of course you can lose weight without exercise and if you are unable to exercise much I don't think anyone should be discouraged.

Exercise is important for health if you can do it, though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I seriously lost 24lbs being less than sedentary :flushed:
    Now I exercise to maintain my weight and because it allows me to eat more.
  • nikkidoodleee
    nikkidoodleee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

But...he's right.

Yes, he maybe, but this thread is not about that, it's for help for people who have a harder time with motivation to work out, or are just getting started in losing weight and want to start by easing into more healthy food choices. He's said what he's wanted to say, but now he keeps replying to people and talking back. We get it. :P Not trying be mean though.
  • orangevalkyrie
    orangevalkyrie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Cut calories and reduce carbs to under 20 grams a day (ketosis) to jump start your metabolism. Eat lots of protein and healthy fats instead for about 3 months. Take ephedra (OTC asthma meds) with caffeine if you aren't on thyroid meds or have heart trouble. Drink 4 cups of green tea and a gallon of water daily. Don't work out on this diet or you will be too sore and tired, your muscles need carbs to uptake protein. Again, only do this for 3 months and cycle back to a balanced diet. Your heart will thank you.

With all respect for your opinion orangevalkyrie, to the OP please don't follow this advice. Especially taking ephedra. Nothing can really take the place of sensible (for your body) calorie intake and sensible (for your body) exercise or daily movement. There is no "magic".

Thank you for kindly disagreeing. When I said her heart would thank her, I can see how that was misinterpreted to mean my advice was good for her heart. On the contrary, high fat diets coupled with ephedra can be very risky. I have seen many people try it and loose weight, but many of those same people could not give up ephedra and later caused adrenal damage. I'm sure down the road they may also have heart issues. If used responsibly and for a short time one could drop weight. It would all come back of course if you ate an excess of calories or if you had an undiagnosed thyroid disorder. I apologize to anyone who feels strongly against pharmaceutical interventions. They are a personal choice and do need to be researched considerably before deciding to take for oneself. As far as the Atkins or Carb Nite type diets, they too are effective although I am not convinced they are safe. The above are well documented and not at all magical but do require a sober understanding of why they work.Thank you again for the respectful reply.