Starting lifting heavy at home - recommendations

Options
Hi everyone, I'd like to start lifting at home and I'm looking for advice and recommendations. I'm 36, female and on a 500 cal deficit since I'd like to lose about 20 - 25 pounds, so I know I'm not going to gain a lot of muscle at this point, but I might as well start as I mean to continue after I reach my goal weight/fat level :smile: I have sciatica and arthritis in my knees, my doctor has cleared me for lifting as long as I'm sensible. Anyway, I have a barbell and dumbbell set which goes up to 50 kg, no possibility of joining a gym, no rack and no bench and very limited space. Does anyone have any recommendations for at home workouts which can be done with this equipment, which is suitable for a beginner?

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I did the 1st stage of New Rules of Lifting for Women at home with dumbbells. It worked fine. For the lat pull, I used a resistance band that you can hang over the door. If you don't know how to adjust a barbell lift for dumbells, just google it ;) I mostly did goblet squats or just held them to my side.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I started All Pro Beginner's routine with dumbbells and made good progress. Eventually as the lifts get heavier you will need to switch to a barbell and use a rack for safety. As sistrsprkl said you can use google, youtube or search MFP for help. There was a post on the Eat, Train, Progress Group that addressed using dumbbells for barbell routines.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569/barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells/p1
  • rebeccamorgan58152
    rebeccamorgan58152 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your responses, I'll have a look at New Rules of Lifting, it seems to be quite popular and looks like you've had great results, sistrsprkl :smile: . I just got a barbell, perhaps I'll be able to rig up a rack somewhere over the next few months. I'll also have a look at the routine you mentioned, loulamb7, don't think I've seen that one before.
  • Immerito
    Immerito Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Strong Curves also has an at home version of its program.