Good Carb ideas?

Options
I have always had a problem getting my carbs as I don't like anything that has them in it
Rice
Pasta
Bread
I will go out of my way to avoid them lol I replace my bread with lettuce and will wrap a sandwhich / piece of chicken whatever in lettuce before even thinking about bread.
Anyway I've given in on the rice, although I don't like it I will try to eat a little brown rice everyday, my question is, any recommendations for HEALTHY carbs onlt that I may enjoy a bit more.
Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    uhhhh...you don't have to "get your carbs." if you don't like rice, don't eat rice...if you don't like bread then don't eat bread...none of those things are necessary to be healthy.

maybe eat some fruit...
  • ahayes7768
    ahayes7768 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    uhhhh...you don't have to "get your carbs." if you don't like rice, don't eat rice...if you don't like bread then don't eat bread...none of those things are necessary to be healthy.

maybe eat some fruit...

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm trying to build muscle. Prettt sure I nees carbs for that..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ahayes7768 wrote: »

maybe eat some fruit...

Sorry forgot to mention that I'm trying to build muscle. Prettt sure I nees carbs for that..

Nope.
    A bit more focus on PROTEIN is usually what's recommended for folks trying to build muscle.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

maybe eat some fruit...

well first and foremost you need calories then...you need to eat at a surplus. and yes...carbs are important to a bulk...but are you eating in a surplus? if you're not, you're doing it wrong.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in a calorie surplus and progressive resistance training for muscle development. Many people find it easier (and cheaper) to add carbs. In addition, carbs can provide more energy during a bulk.

That said, there are no "bad" carbs (unless they put you way over your calorie goal). Heck, just adding a serving of gelato to your maintenance calories would be right around 200-250 calories, which is about what you need for a moderate surplus.

No reason to force yourself to eat something you don't like just because someone labeled it "healthy". Eat a majority of nutrient dense food, but feel free to add in some calorie dense treats, especially if it helps you hit your goals.
  • auddii
    Options

maybe eat some fruit...

Nope.
    A bit more focus on PROTEIN is usually what's recommended for folks trying to build muscle.

Acutally, protein intake is more important when eating at a deficit than eating at a surplus. OP is right that people typically recommend "adequate" protein, and adding in more carbs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Try carby vegetables. This could be yams, potatoes, winter squash, or corn. There are tons of options.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

maybe eat some fruit...

Nope.

Acutally, protein intake is more important when eating at a deficit than eating at a surplus. OP is right that people typically recommend "adequate" protein, and adding in more carbs.
    To build muscle?
    I guess most important, yes a surplus.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Try carby vegetables. This could be yams, potatoes, winter squash, or corn. There are tons of options.

Great suggestion. There are lots of great high carb vegetables. Lots of the root vegetables. Legumes are good sources of carbs as well.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    when I did my bulk I ate a ton of potatoes and sweet potatoes...like 2 or 3 per day...and pasta with a good bolognese.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

maybe eat some fruit...

Nope.

To build muscle?
    I guess most important, yes a surplus.

protein for maintaining muscle mass
    carbs for muscle building due to insulin spike produced.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    when I did my bulk I ate a ton of potatoes and sweet potatoes...like 2 or 3 per day...and pasta with a good bolognese.

mmmm bolognese.

Is the OP bulking? I must have missed that.

A question, wolfman (since you're one of the most knowledgeable guys on here): why carbs and not fats for a bulk? I've never *tried* to gain weight. Going on the pill was the easiest way for me to bulk lol.
  • ndj1979
    Options

cosign
  • ahayes7768
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Potatoes! Yes love it! Corn as well!
    Thanks!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - if you want to truly bulk, I would suggest starting a thread in the "gaining forum" there is a little more to it then just carbs.

Do you not like carbs because of the taste of some of the things you listed, or do you not like them because someone told you they are "bad"..??
  • ndj1979
    Options
    oh and there is no such thing as good or bad carbs, there are just carbs. eat them, or not, the choice is yours...
  • tspencer824
    tspencer824 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You don't need that many carbs, so I just suggest that you don't really eat them except in veggie and fruit form. If you want, only eat complex carbs that take more energy for your body to use them and then they won't convert to unnecessary fat.
    Steel cut oats
    Sweet potato
    Brown rice (I am a cheater with this and get the wild/brown mix)

Those are all the carbs I eat except on Refeed day... which is Sunday after my bikini competition, woo hoo!
  • ahayes7768
    Options

maybe eat some fruit...

well first and foremost you need calories then...you need to eat at a surplus. and yes...carbs are important to a bulk...but are you eating in a surplus? if you're not, you're doing it wrong.
    Well I'm deff doing it wrong as I have no idea what that means, I'm in school and have part time job can't afford a personal trainer so try to educate myself online about it. Sadly so much of it is wrong.
    However I'm 5'2 weigh 125 and still have a little tummy that I want to be a 6 pack in a few months lol so I'm gonna keep trying
  • ndj1979
    Options
    OP - I would suggest reading the below stickys...you may not want to bulk, but you could give recomp a shot. That is, if you truly want to gain some muscle:

Recomposition:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/33125652#Comment_33125652

Bulking:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners
  • auddii
    edited July 2015
    Options

maybe eat some fruit...

Well I'm deff doing it wrong as I have no idea what that means, I'm in school and have part time job can't afford a personal trainer so try to educate myself online about it. Sadly so much of it is wrong.
    However I'm 5'2 weigh 125 and still have a little tummy that I want to be a 6 pack in a few months lol so I'm gonna keep trying
    Give this a read:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners/p1

And this:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

ETA: If you're happy with your current weight, this could also help:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat