Smartwater

Options
Hi, Does anyone else on here have Hypothyroidism and drink smartwater? Any problems retaining water when drinking the smartwater?

Thanks,
Nicole

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. You mean this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SmartWater ?
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SmartWater? I bought a bottle the other day to see what the hype is (cost me £1.79 for 600ml). It's just distilled water with added ions electrolytes etc. It's a waste of money... I don't see how it would help with hypothroidism lol.

wait... wat
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Unless you're talking about something different Smartwater is just tap water that's vapor distilled so it's "pure". Your body isn't going to process it differently than regular water you've filtered at home with a Brita or something.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    SmartWater? I bought a bottle the other day to see what the hype is (cost me £1.79 for 600ml). It's just distilled water with added ions etc.

wait... wat
    Added ions? Are you positive?

• IsaackGMOON
    Options
    SmartWater? I bought a bottle the other day to see what the hype is (cost me £1.79 for 600ml). It's just distilled water with added ions etc.

wait... wat

Not ions sorry lol, electrolytes.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

wait... wat

So, negative on the ions, then.

• IsaackGMOON
    Options

wait... wat

Chemistry jokes.. pls no. I hate chemistry.

pls.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

wait... wat

I'm chortling over here.
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    That joke took me far too long to get... oh my lawd...worst thing I actually take chemistry as a class..
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    That joke took me far too long to get... oh my lawd...worst thing I actually take chemistry as a class..
    Na, BrO, no more.

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If it's this stuff: drinksmartwater.com, then it looks like it's just like any other bottled water.

I have heard that fluoride can interfere with iodine absorption, and if you have an iodine deficiency, then it could cause hypothyroidism. This bottled water doesn't contain fluoride, and probably lots of other brands don't either. So drink it if you want to, or you could get a filter that removes fluoride from your tap water (Brita filters don't remove it). A lack of fluoride in your drinking water may make no difference, or maybe it will help. I don't know.
  • nickimc13
    nickimc13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    sorry for the confusion and thank you for the answers. I have hypothyroidism, have had it for 14 years, I have recently started drinking smartwater (yes the one everyone is talking about on here) for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack. But I am noticing that I am retaining water weight, Hypothyroidism can cause this also, but I have noticed that since I started drinking the smartwater i have retained water weight. Didn't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    nickimc13 wrote: »
    for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack.

Did a doctor recommend this? I ask because there's electrolytes in food. You don't have to get them from fancy water. Just eat things. I can't think of a food that doesn't have electrolytes.

Really, did a doctor recommend this? If you're retaining water/swelling that could be a whole HOST of issues from diabetes to kidney disease.
  • yellowantphil
    Options
    sorry for the confusion and thank you for the answers. I have hypothyroidism, have had it for 14 years, I have recently started drinking smartwater (yes the one everyone is talking about on here) for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack. But I am noticing that I am retaining water weight, Hypothyroidism can cause this also, but I have noticed that since I started drinking the smartwater i have retained water weight. Didn't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks

I don't think it has any significant amounts of electrolytes. The ingredients label says that it contains calcium, potassium, and magnesium. It doesn't list an amount of potassium or magnesium, but it says "not a significant source" for calcium. Also, regular tap water tends to have a bit of calcium in it.

I would suggest supplementing your electrolytes some other way. Plain bottled water won't have enough to have much of an effect.

I can't think of any way that SmartWater would cause water retention. Lots of other things can cause it though. Maybe it was just a coincidence that you started retaining water around the time you started drinking this brand of water?
  • nickimc13
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Did a doctor recommend this? I ask because there's electrolytes in food. You don't have to get them from fancy water. Just eat things. I can't think of a food that doesn't have electrolytes.

Really, did a doctor recommend this? If you're retaining water/swelling that could be a whole HOST of issues from diabetes to kidney disease.

Yes a doctor recommended drinking more electrolytes.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha @DeguelloTex

What you did there...saw it

Bahahaha
  • yellowantphil
    Options

Fruit juice has a lot of potassium. Sports drinks have a lot of sodium, and some potassium. I am not aware of any drinks that have a lot of magnesium, but there might be some. Bottled water won't have much of any of those.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I drink smartwater because it tastes like nothing. Absolutely nothing, and I enjoy that.
  • nickimc13
    Options

Thanks

I don't think it has any significant amounts of electrolytes. The ingredients label says that it contains calcium, potassium, and magnesium. It doesn't list an amount of potassium or magnesium, but it says "not a significant source" for calcium. Also, regular tap water tends to have a bit of calcium in it.

I would suggest supplementing your electrolytes some other way. Plain bottled water won't have enough to have much of an effect.

I can't think of any way that SmartWater would cause water retention. Lots of other things can cause it though. Maybe it was just a coincidence that you started retaining water around the time you started drinking this brand of water?

Thank you for your information, I don't drink my tap water at home due to high levels of fluoride, which are bad for people with thyroid problems. I will probably stop drinking for a few days and see if any difference.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »

Did they mean things like this?
    http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-a313/k2-_775f4f6a-b2ad-4892-b7ce-74405e1b73bd.v2.jpg

Really, the electrolytes in smart water are quite low and mainly just affect flavor.