• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

• yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    nickimc13 wrote: »
    Thank you for your information, I don't drink my tap water at home due to high levels of fluoride, which are bad for people with thyroid problems. I will probably stop drinking for a few days and see if any difference.

Yes, if you're trying to avoid fluoride, bottled water is good for that. Or getting a filter, but I think that filters for fluoride might be kind of expensive.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Mind if I hijack a lil bit? It's at least on topic!

So...I ONLY drink water (and coffee) before/during/after working out. Is that fine or *should* I be drinking something like Gatorade with these "electrolites" that you speak of? Someone enlighten me! Most of my work outs aren't too hard but sometimes I'll run 4 miles in the heat and I'll feel wasted the rest of the day...sometimes...
  • nickimc13
    nickimc13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack.

Did a doctor recommend this? I ask because there's electrolytes in food. You don't have to get them from fancy water. Just eat things. I can't think of a food that doesn't have electrolytes.

Really, did a doctor recommend this? If you're retaining water/swelling that could be a whole HOST of issues from diabetes to kidney disease.

Yes a doctor recommended drinking more electrolytes.

Did they mean things like this?
    http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-a313/k2-_775f4f6a-b2ad-4892-b7ce-74405e1b73bd.v2.jpg

Really, the electrolytes in smart water are quite low and mainly just affect flavor.

Not sure I will check with my dr, he wanted me to not have all the sugar and calories since I am trying to loose weight. He showed me a powder to mix in water but I am allergic to sweeteners so i didn't want to drink that.
    Thanks for the link
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack.

Did a doctor recommend this? I ask because there's electrolytes in food. You don't have to get them from fancy water. Just eat things. I can't think of a food that doesn't have electrolytes.

Really, did a doctor recommend this? If you're retaining water/swelling that could be a whole HOST of issues from diabetes to kidney disease.

Yes a doctor recommended drinking more electrolytes.

Did they mean things like this?
    http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-a313/k2-_775f4f6a-b2ad-4892-b7ce-74405e1b73bd.v2.jpg

Really, the electrolytes in smart water are quite low and mainly just affect flavor.

Not sure I will check with my dr, he wanted me to not have all the sugar and calories since I am trying to loose weight. He showed me a powder to mix in water but I am allergic to sweeteners so i didn't want to drink that.
    Thanks for the link

a powder like this?
    http://www.gianteagle.com/ProductImages/PRODUCT_NODE_14/70074560823.jpg
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish I was the person who came up with the idea of bottled water.

I mean, come on. The bottled water is making millions upon millions on dollars on something everyone in a developed country can get for free!

The kicker is that tap water is frequently cleaner than bottled water as well!!!

Boy oh boy, I would be a wealthy man if I came up with something as silly as bottled water.
  • nickimc13
    nickimc13 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

So...I ONLY drink water (and coffee) before/during/after working out. Is that fine or *should* I be drinking something like Gatorade with these "electrolites" that you speak of? Someone enlighten me! Most of my work outs aren't too hard but sometimes I'll run 4 miles in the heat and I'll feel wasted the rest of the day...sometimes...

My Dr told me your body needs electrolyte replacement after a workout. Gatorade has high sugars and calories for a small amount of the drink. Companies make powders to mix in water, and there are some waters that have electrolytes in them. I also heard that Figi water has electrolytes added.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

I mean, come on. The bottled water is making millions upon millions on dollars on something everyone in a developed country can get for free!

The kicker is that tap water is frequently cleaner than bottled water as well!!!

Boy oh boy, I would be a wealthy man if I came up with something as silly as bottled water.

Just make some bogus diet pills, captivate a lot of newbies = $$$ gainz
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Fluid & electrolyte (acid-base) balance is a complicated thing. Many, many books have been written to help students who study it understand it all. Any halfway decent library will have one. I can't imagine anyone who doesn't need to learn some it bothering to do it, but if you're really fascinated, it's there. Some Anatomy & Physiology before would be a big help. And Chemistry, maybe, before the A&P.

The numbers for what's normal are debated and different hospitals have different ranges. Even different doctors in the same hospitals will have their own ideas in their heads if what they want to see. It's really hard to say, "This is it. This is okay and that's not," because it depends on the person, but that goes for everything.

Most people, when they talk F&E balances here are stalking about sodium and potassium. Not always, but usually. :)
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Fluid & electrolyte (acid-base) balance is a complicated thing. Many, many books have been written to help students who study it understand it all. Any halfway decent library will have one. I can't imagine anyone who doesn't need to learn some it bothering to do it, but if you're really fascinated, it's there. Some Anatomy & Physiology before would be a big help. And Chemistry, maybe, before the A&P.

The numbers for what's normal are debated and different hospitals have different ranges. Even different doctors in the same hospitals will have their own ideas in their heads if what they want to see. It's really hard to say, "This is it. This is okay and that's not," because it depends on the person, but that goes for everything.

Most people, when they talk F&E balances here are stalking about sodium and potassium. Not always, but usually. :)

So...just drinking water is fine then?

:hushed:
  • yellowantphil
    yellowantphil Posts: 787 Member
    Options

My completely uninformed opinion is that you're fine just drinking water, unless you sweat a lot. Then it wouldn't hurt to have a Gatorade. You could try it and see if it seems to help. There are the low-calorie sports drinks if you don't want all the sugar.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    What is your TSH level? If it's between 0.3-3.0 then no. Fluoride has the potential to bind iodine, but this is minuscule, besides if you're already diagnosed and being treated there is no issue.

Athletes need a consistent electrolytic replenishment program; however the average person won't see much difference between Gatorade and tap water. As a general guideline if your sports drink tastes sweet/salty you don't need it. Any of the water additives are a much cheaper alternative (e.g. Mio Fit).
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    "Smart" water.

Lol.

Marketing genius, right?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Bahahaha @DeguelloTex

What you did there...saw it

Bahahaha

^This.

I have hypothyroidism. And an electrolyte problem. I drink Propel Zero on my doctor's recommendation to get a little something extra in that regard.

If I retained water from it, I didn't notice. If you are shy on blood sodium like I am, you might be doing so, though.

• jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options

If the tap water around me was drinkable, I would drink it. I either buy a bottle of water or (more commonly) fill my water bottle up with the purified drinking water I have in my shop's water cooler or at my house. The tap water is absolutely disgusting and no amount of filtering (except reverse osmosis) will make it taste palatable.
  • BobTheMad
    BobTheMad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If it's this stuff: drinksmartwater.com, then it looks like it's just like any other bottled water.

I have heard that fluoride can interfere with iodine absorption, and if you have an iodine deficiency, then it could cause hypothyroidism. This bottled water doesn't contain fluoride, and probably lots of other brands don't either. So drink it if you want to, or you could get a filter that removes fluoride from your tap water (Brita filters don't remove it). A lack of fluoride in your drinking water may make no difference, or maybe it will help. I don't know.

Your tinfoil hat is slipping there.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, have had it for 14 years, I have recently started drinking smartwater (yes the one everyone is talking about on here) for the electrolytes because mine are out of wack. But I am noticing that I am retaining water weight.

Correlation is not causation.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease) and I drink Smartwater. It's no better nor worse for you than any other water.

Yes.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

For most people, most of the time, yes. Especially if you are not doing intense workouts, you probably don't need Gatorade or the like.

I've also had doctors recommend sports drinks, which initially surprised me. I have endocrine issues, extremely low blood pressure and do intense workouts. I freeze a bottle with 1/3 ice, then add 1/3 filtered water and 1/3 low-cal Gatorade. It was an easy fix for the dizziness/fainting problems that I was having.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

I cannot tell anyone this or that is fine for them. That's something only your doctor can do.

Healthy adults will almost never require F&E assistance. Some athletes, like endurance athletes (e.g. Long distance runners) may need to keep an eye on it. But most people can go workout in the gym, swim a mile or spend a day walking around in a tropical climate and if they have water to drink when they're thirsty, they will not require medical attention. Or Gatorade.

What you need is something I can't answer.