Best breakfast. protein v fat v carbs

Options
Views on best type of breakfast is it best to eat a high fat breakfast over cereal

Replies

• nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    for fat loss it doesn't matter, what matters is overall macros/calories through the entire day/week
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Your question is too vague to answer.
  • bobby19666
    bobby19666 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Well will protein and fat aid weight loss more than a carb - cereal based diet such as all bran
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Depends on your own individual goals.

What I consider my "breakfast" is actually the third time I eat each day because I hardly count a pre-workout Quest bar or a serving of post-workout crust-less quiche a meal. Since I consume so much protein before breakfast and quite a bit at dinner as well, my breakfast meals tend to be a little lower in protein and higher in carbs. The only reason for that is to hit my macros every day. If I wasn't tracking macros, it wouldn't matter as much as long as the calories fit into my day. The fat content is usually 10 grams or less, but that's not planned - again, it's just what fits my macros.

Keep in mind that I take in 130g protein daily and weigh 118 lbs, so I'm not restricting protein by avoiding a bunch of it at breakfast. I just see no point in doing IIFYM if I'm going to be way over in protein and therefore way under in carbs every day. Plus, carbs are delicious.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »

Well will protein and fat aid weight loss more than a carb - cereal based diet such as all bran

Any evidence to back this claim up?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

No. Eating the breakfast that has fewer calories, and provides the macros you need, when isolated from the rest of your diet, would be the ideal solution.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    It won't "aid fat loss" - only a calorie deficit will do that. It will keep you satisfied for longer, and prevent sudden drops in blood sugar, so you don't feel like eating within an hour after breakfast.....
    I mix my high protein, high fibre cereal with a protein shake from Costco instead of mixing it with plain milk...Still low in fat, but it keeps me full until noon.....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Depends on the person.

Upon experimentation, I tend to be fuller with a higher protein breakfast, whether balanced between macros (my usual vegetable omelet with fruit and dairy or salmon) or higher in protein and carbs (my oatmeal with fruit and protein powder and veggies on the side), than with a higher fat OR higher carb breakfast that has less protein. So for me the protein content is most important and the relative amount of fat and carbs unimportant, except that it might affect what I choose to eat at later meals.

I also like to have a breakfast that's larger, about 400 calories. Some people prefer smaller breakfasts.

Also disagree re carbs at breakfast being bad for weight loss.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Personally I have to have fewer carbs in the morning. If I have a breakfast of just toast and coffee, or cold cereal, I get that mid-morning shaky-must-eat-everything-in-sight kind of hunger. If I eat more protein -- eggs, cheese, nuts -- then I'm hungry at lunchtime, but just an ordinary hunger.

So for me I have to have protein in the morning, no question.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

It wasn't a claim - it was a question. It lacked a question mark, but it was definitely a question.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

It wasn't a claim - it was a question. It lacked a question mark, but it was definitely a question.

oh... derp :D
  • ibnfaqir
    ibnfaqir Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    who is claiming it was a question?
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal (40g) with sliced almonds (5-10g), and then add whatever fruit is in season. I eat that around 8-8:30 and for the most part am good until lunch. Some days I get hungry in between, so I will grab a snack to hold me over (usually fruit, veggie, nuts, or jerky).
  • bobby19666
    Options
    Cheers everyone. Really want to keep blood sugars low.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I've been making a smoothie for breakfast for the last couple weeks.
  • bobby19666
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

For me the amount of fruits will have too much sugar. Though good sugar, I read too much raises insulin storing fat. I'm not a body builder just want to tone down through swimming
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

For me the amount of fruits will have too much sugar. Though good sugar, I read too much raises insulin storing fat. I'm not a body builder just want to tone down through swimming

Fat is easily stored without insulin
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You will store fat if you eat more calories than you burn.

You will not gain net fat if you eat fewer calories than you burn.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Only if you are in a calorie surplus...and ALL sugar is good :)