Carbs & Sugars

Options
Nickeybody
Nickeybody Posts: 19 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
is bread or bagels bad for you, is subway bad? Is gram crackers or saltine crackers good please bel struggling with carbs n sugars

Replies

• Stewnamie
    Stewnamie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, bread reacts in your body very much like sugar. I try to avoid bread. It is really hard to figure out things to eat without eating them with bread, until you are in a new habit. I think Subway should be a treat every once in a while. We should all be able to indulge sometimes, right?
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    No food is bad . I eat what I love in moderation. If you want bread , make it fit into your day. If you want sugar, make it fit into your day. I lost all my weight while eating ice cream every night. It comes down to calories in calories out. Eat at a deficit and you'll lose weight.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or medical issue with carbs, no they are not bad.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No. No food is bad for you if eaten in moderation. I recommend trying to hit your daily macro goals instead of worrying about what specific foods to eat (unless you're a diabetic, of course).
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    It depends on your metabolism. Healthy people can often get away with eating a lot of carbs.

If you have diabetes, pre-diabetes, PCOS, insulin resistance, hypothyroidism, syndrome x/metabolic syndrome, adrenal insufficiency, pituitary failure, adult HGH deficiency or similar, you will need to limit carbs. A large percentage of people fall into this category.

Tracking is helpful in this regard. If you carefully track everything that you eat, you can see what really works for you over time.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation. I have half of a whole wheat bagel (or toast, whatever I have on hand) with a little peanut butter after my workout. Subway is fantastic. You can ask the "Sandwich Artist" to pull out some of the middle of the bread if you are really watching carbs, but I love piling on the veggies with my oven roasted chicken sub, provolone, with a little bit of vinegar :)
  • redfiona99
    redfiona99 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Bread is not bad for you. Bagels, for my mind, are too high in calories to be anything but an occasional treat, but they too, are not bad for you if you've budgeted for them in your daily total.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Struggling how? Do they make you sick?

All of the foods you listed are compatible with weight loss. Weigh them and log them accurately and make them fit into your daily calorie allowance.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Breads and other starchy carb foods are not bad for you unless you have specific digestive or metabolic conditions (like diabetes).

They do tend to be calorie dense, so if you're trying to lose weight with a large deficit it may be hard to have a lot of those foods and feel satisfied with what you're eating.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you are watching/restricting carbs then those things will have to be watched. There are hundreds of paths to choose in a sound weight management strategy. Choose a side, read a book on the choice and go for it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    There are no "bad" foods. What are you struggling with?
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There are no "bad" foods. What are you struggling with?

This

there is only TOO MUCH food.
    As long you dont have medical issues you can eat it all, To lose weight stay in your calorie allowance.
    Thats all.

• meulf6f
    Options
    Where do y'all get this from? I know it has to be a book by some guru or another. Please share. I would definitely find it enlightening as I love a good read.
  • RealtorKaylaned
    RealtorKaylaned Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to stay as far away fr carbs as possible and that does include subway unless your eating a salad but I've never been a big fan of subway ever
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    meulf6f wrote: »
    Where do y'all get this from? I know it has to be a book by some guru or another. Please share. I would definitely find it enlightening as I love a good read.

I got my knowledge from The University of Wageningen" in Holland.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Everything is fine in moderation. I have half of a whole wheat bagel (or toast, whatever I have on hand) with a little peanut butter after my workout. Subway is fantastic. You can ask the "Sandwich Artist" to pull out some of the middle of the bread if you are really watching carbs, but I love piling on the veggies with my oven roasted chicken sub, provolone, with a little bit of vinegar :)

This is SO far from what those of us who really have to watch carbs need to do.
  • meulf6f
    Options
    I love the Atkins approach. DANDR opened my eyes to carb sensitivity and cravings due to insulun spikes. New studies still coming out due to his observations, even if only trying to prove him wrong. He, and the others after him have given us greater choices to navigate through the madness.

Cool. I'll look through their online info.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Unless you have an allergy or medical issue with carbs, no they are not bad.
    This. Same for sugar. Maintain a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    is bread or bagels bad for you, is subway bad? Is gram crackers or saltine crackers good please bel struggling with carbs n sugars

Nope, none of those are good or bad, unless you simply don't like them. Carbs cause water retention by nature, but that disappears after a few days. Water retention is not fat.

Eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight no matter what you eat.