Options

Replies

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    bobby19666 wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I've been making a smoothie for breakfast for the last couple weeks.

For me the amount of fruits will have too much sugar. Though good sugar, I read too much raises insulin storing fat. I'm not a body builder just want to tone down through swimming

Eat fruits with lower amts of sugar then. Berries are a great example. I've been eating cherries by the handful as they are in season and cheap right now. They have a high sugar content, and I am still losing. :)

But as others have said, the sugar/insulin/fat storage broscience is nonsense. I eat a lot of fruit.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I missed it, do you have a medical reason to be concerned about sugars? If not, spend more time understanding how to consistently maintain a caloric deficit. Once you master the basic principal that governs all weight loss, feel free to "fine tune" your approach with more complicated matters. If you can't do the basics, why muck it up with other stuff? If you do have a medical reason to worry about your sugar intake, make that info known, as there are many here with loads of experience dealing with insulin issues.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Perhaps I missed it, do you have a medical reason to be concerned about sugars? If not, spend more time understanding how to consistently maintain a caloric deficit. Once you master the basic principal that governs all weight loss, feel free to "fine tune" your approach with more complicated matters. If you can't do the basics, why muck it up with other stuff? If you do have a medical reason to worry about your sugar intake, make that info known, as there are many here with loads of experience dealing with insulin issues.

+1
  • Stewnamie
    Stewnamie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal (40g) with sliced almonds (5-10g), and then add whatever fruit is in season. I eat that around 8-8:30 and for the most part am good until lunch. Some days I get hungry in between, so I will grab a snack to hold me over (usually fruit, veggie, nuts, or jerky).

This is my exact meal of choice!
  • Stewnamie
    Stewnamie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am curious about sugars.....I thought that sugar spikes caused fat to build up around your abdomen. I have NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) and I have been told to erase as much sugar as possible from my diet to help melt away that fat surrounding my liver. It was suggested I only eat one piece of fruit a day. I have been eating this way for two weeks. I am getting used to it, but man do I miss fruit!
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    if you eat fats and proteins for breakfast it will minimize or eliminate the spike in blood sugar. Fats and proteins also keep you from feeling hungry much longer than a carb filled breakfast if you are prone to being hungry not long after eating carbs.

I eat 2-3 fried eggs for breakfast and don't even think about food again for 3-5 hours! It is very liberating and helps me stear clear of nutrient-sparse "fun" food that everyone else thinks is great to bring to work in the morning.
  • meulf6f
    meulf6f Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats work for me. I eat around 6am and fast until after my afternoon run, usually @6-7pm. Carbs trigger my hunger.
  • bobby19666
    bobby19666 Posts: 57 Member
    Options

No medical reason. Just rather focus now than when it'd too late. Also want bod

No medical reason. Have a deficit everyday just focusing before its too late. Still eat fruit for snacks. Just think if I keep insulin low il burn more fat
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    if you eat fats and proteins for breakfast it will minimize or eliminate the spike in blood sugar. Fats and proteins also keep you from feeling hungry much longer than a carb filled breakfast if you are prone to being hungry not long after eating carbs.

I eat 2-3 fried eggs for breakfast and don't even think about food again for 3-5 hours! It is very liberating and helps me stear clear of nutrient-sparse "fun" food that everyone else thinks is great to bring to work in the morning.

this is interesting - i will try this tomorrow - can i have two boiled eggs instead?? as i always get hungry an hour or 2 after breakfast
  • bobby19666
    Options
    Stewnamie wrote: »
    I am curious about sugars.....I thought that sugar spikes caused fat to build up around your abdomen. I have NAFLD (non alcoholic fatty liver disease) and I have been told to erase as much sugar as possible from my diet to help melt away that fat surrounding my liver. It was suggested I only eat one piece of fruit a day. I have been eating this way for two weeks. I am getting used to it, but man do I miss fruit!
    Stewnamie wrote: »

I heard this too, one I'm toned il be ok. Snacking at work was my down fall. Though it was crap I was eating flapjack crisps and chocolate bar 1000 cal. That wasn't helpful, but canteen food is dire lol
  • bobby19666
    Options

Think an omelette with tabasco for me then. Maybe bacon too.
  • bobby19666
    Options

this is interesting - i will try this tomorrow - can i have two boiled eggs instead?? as i always get hungry an hour or 2 after breakfast

Boiled eggs are fine. Maybe have half an avacado too or bacon. Some form of fat.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

No medical reason. Have a deficit everyday just focusing before its too late. Still eat fruit for snacks. Just think if I keep insulin low il burn more fat

Nope. If you do not have a medical condition, there is no reason to be concerned about sugar. Calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. You are not going to magically lose more weight if you keep sugar low.
  • umayster
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm not an expert, but have been trying to learn for a very long time why following traditional nutrition advice leaves me feeling hungry. For breakfast I eat eggs fried in bacon fat and no carbs at all. You may need to experiment to find what foods satiate you well.
  • umayster
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Nope. If you do not have a medical condition, there is no reason to be concerned about sugar. Calorie deficit is a calorie deficit. You are not going to magically lose more weight if you keep sugar low.

Calorie deficit is for weight loss, the chemical composition of your chosen foods is for your health. Diseases caused by diet can take 5-50 years to develop. Today and tomorrow you will be fine eating virtually anything, but if you prefer not to wake up sick and miserable in 15 years then thinking about what you eat is important.

Please stop telling people they don't need to care about their nutrition unless they have a documented medical reason. Fitness includes weight and health, not weight alone.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Calorie deficit is for weight loss, the chemical composition of your chosen foods is for your health. Diseases caused by diet can take 5-50 years to develop. Today and tomorrow you will be fine eating virtually anything, but if you prefer not to wake up sick and miserable in 15 years then thinking about what you eat is important.

Please stop telling people they don't need to care about their nutrition unless they have a documented medical reason. Fitness includes weight and health, not weight alone.

I see nothing in that post telling OP not to worry about health or nutrition. Not focusing on reducing sugar does NOT equal not focusing on health. Sugar is not inherently bad for a healthy individual, stop implying that it will cause someone to wake up "sick and miserable" in 15 years. Unsubstantiated fear mongering is pathetic.

OP, without a medical reason, focusing on reducing sugar will not help you lose anymore weight or fat than you will by reducing calories. I suggest you master your calorie targets first, nail the basics, and then if you want feel free to adjust other variable such as sugar and see how you feel. If you change too many things at once, there is no way for you to truly isolate how something makes you feel.
  • umayster
    edited July 2015
    Options

I see nothing in that post telling OP not to worry about health or nutrition. Not focusing on reducing sugar does NOT equal not focusing on health. Sugar is not inherently bad for a healthy individual, stop implying that it will cause someone to wake up "sick and miserable" in 15 years. Unsubstantiated fear mongering is pathetic.

OP, without a medical reason, focusing on reducing sugar will not help you lose anymore weight or fat than you will by reducing calories. I suggest you master your calorie targets first, nail the basics, and then if you want feel free to adjust other variable such as sugar and see how you feel. If you change too many things at once, there is no way for you to truly isolate how something makes you feel.

Op is eating at a deficit already, so according to you it means that we are permitted to talk about the actual composition of his diet now, right?

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are shorter term fuel than fats or proteins. When the short term fuel is used up or stored, then you get hungry again. I don't know about you, but I eat less when my stomach is not growling. This conversation is about weight loss AND food composition. It is really OK to try and understand chemical processing of food beyond the calorie level of understanding.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Personally I like quite a bit of protein with my breakfast (usually from yoghurt or eggs) because it seems to "last" longer than a toast/cereal meal and so stops me grazing mid-morning at work.
    Breakfast happens about 06:00 and lunch can be as late as 14:30.

You may find that your needs/preferences are different.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

If you think that's what people are saying, you are sorely mistaken.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Op is eating at a deficit already, so according to you it means that we are permitted to talk about the actual composition of his diet now, right?

Sugar is a carbohydrate. Carbohydrates are shorter term fuel than fats or proteins. When the short term fuel is used up or stored, then you get hungry again. I don't know about you, but I eat less when my stomach is not growling. This conversation is about weight loss AND food composition. It is really OK to try and understand chemical processing of food beyond the calorie level of understanding.
    Putting the rude tone of this post aside...

Op stated that they believed keeping sugar low would aid in fat loss and that was their reason for restricting them. Correcting that misinformation is NOT saying don't pay attention to nutrition. By the way, I'm assuming you were referring to diabetes as the medical condition that can develop later on, which is also false. High sugar intake does not cause diabetes.