Clean eating.

Options

Replies

• soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" doesn't have a consensus meaning and is really great at creating food shame. I focus on eating whole foods and cooking things for myself. Lots of vegetables, good quality meats and carbs. The key to sticking with anything for me is to eat a variety of things. So I will go to the store and buy things that I haven't had before and plan a meal around that.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Basically I suck at it. Tips and helpful hints?

Try and eat a bit more fruit and vegetables within your calorie goal than you were before.

Relax.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options

For me it was baby steps over a long time period. Soda was the biggest waste of calories - zero nutritional value, so it got replaced with water. Next was the sugar in my coffee, changed from sugar and half n half to no sugar and cream. And on from there. Over time the goal is to infuse your go to food choices with a variety that match your long term nutritional goals.

I define my version of clean based on the genetic risks I face from the diseases that are common in my family, yours may be different.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Duplicate
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    People sometimes wig out over the word "clean" and don't want you to use it. "Healthy" seems to be less reviled. :)

Try taking steps, maybe, instead of doing it all at once. Nook at it as adding things in instead of taking anything away. First week, drink your water. They say about eight 8oz glasses...but just add water to your diet. The next week, add a couple servings of fruits every day. The following week, add a couple servings of veggies. Then add whole grains.

You don't have to take anything out while you add these things. But the more healthy stuff you add, the less you're going to want to eat other things - because you'll be full. :)

That seems to work for a lot of peeps.

I did a cold turkey, flip-a-switch kind of diet change and it was hell. I think adding bitty bits is easier. :)

Food for thought, anyway. :)

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options

@YellowBird0722 I agree with others you will have to discover what works best for your body over time. In my case it seems like my body has a problem processing carbohydrates that started when I was around 20 years old. After 40 years of painful arthritis last Oct (2014) I stopped eating things like grain or food containing natural or added sugar.

Within 30 days my pain level dropped from a subjective 7-8 pain level to 2-3 on a 1-to 10 scale. I do wake up after sleeping 8-9 hours (amount of sleep best if wanting to lose weight I read) but I eat all I want all day. Now if I eat at bed time I will not lose or gain weight per the scales. To lose more weight I have to stop eating at 5 PM but I am not really hungry at 10-11 PM.

Not sure what will work for you but leaving off the carbohydrates (eating under 50 grams of carbs daily) is working for this old man. I wish I would have put in practice at age 23 what I did at age 63 in my personal case.

Again when we are young we can get away not eating well and get away with it for years. There are a lot of Youtube info from medical conventions that I have found helpful. Best of luck.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    you have to want to change. you have to believe that the benefit outweighs the hassle. you have to believe you're a better parent/spouse/citizen when you're doing it. it's like recycling.

Doritos, Little Debbies, Pepsi... these kinds of things are engineered by scientists and marketers for you to LOVE them, for the packaging to appeal to you, for you to identify with the lifestyle they're connecting the products to.

Carrots from the local farmer don't necessarily have a glossy ad campaign or banner ads on the internet. Eating at a sensible caloric deficit doesn't have spokesmodels on popular magazines touting their success with it.

For me it was seeing my uncle die in his 40s that helped me (in my 20s at the time) decide that the path I was on was a painful, awkward adulthood and an early grave. Change your path, one step at a time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

@YellowBird0722 I agree with others you will have to discover what works best for your body over time. In my case it seems like my body has a problem processing carbohydrates that started when I was around 20 years old. After 40 years of painful arthritis last Oct (2014) I stopped eating things like grain or food containing natural or added sugar.

Within 30 days my pain level dropped from a subjective 7-8 pain level to 2-3 on a 1-to 10 scale. I do wake up after sleeping 8-9 hours (amount of sleep best if wanting to lose weight I read) but I eat all I want all day. Now if I eat at bed time I will not lose or gain weight per the scales. To lose more weight I have to stop eating at 5 PM but I am not really hungry at 10-11 PM.

Not sure what will work for you but leaving off the carbohydrates (eating under 50 grams of carbs daily) is working for this old man. I wish I would have put in practice at age 23 what I did at age 63 in my personal case.

Again when we are young we can get away not eating well and get away with it for years. There are a lot of Youtube info from medical conventions that I have found helpful. Best of luck.

OP indicated no medical condition so this advice is basically useless...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    you have to want to change. you have to believe that the benefit outweighs the hassle. you have to believe you're a better parent/spouse/citizen when you're doing it. it's like recycling.

Doritos, Little Debbies, Pepsi... these kinds of things are engineered by scientists and marketers for you to LOVE them, for the packaging to appeal to you, for you to identify with the lifestyle they're connecting the products to.

Carrots from the local farmer don't necessarily have a glossy ad campaign or banner ads on the internet. Eating at a sensible caloric deficit doesn't have spokesmodels on popular magazines touting their success with it.

For me it was seeing my uncle die in his 40s that helped me (in my 20s at the time) decide that the path I was on was a painful, awkward adulthood and an early grave. Change your path, one step at a time.

so clean eating now equals saving the world, really?

what would be the difference between bagged carrots from publix and a carrots from a local farmer?

you can eat dorios, little debbies, and pepsi, hit your calorie/micro/macros targets, and still be healthy.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

what would be the difference between bagged carrots from publix and a carrots from a local farmer?

you can eat dorios, little debbies, and pepsi, hit your calorie/micro/macros targets, and still be healthy.

You're putting words in my mouth. Much like deciding to recycle, you have to decide to eat a certain way because Marketers would rather you eat their foods. I'm not advocating one way or another. The OP finds it "hard" to "eat clean" (whatever that means). I gave my perspective about why they find it "hard."

Hope you have a good day.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

AND support local workers. All of those grocery store owners and employees, delivery drivers, etc.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

OP indicated nothing, lol.

My advice, if you suck at it, don't do it. Eat dirty WHILE meeting your macro needs. It can be done.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I prefer the term "nutrient dense" and try to incorporate as many fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains and dairy into my day as I can fit into my calories. But I always save some discretionary calories for "emotionally dense" foods like wine, chocolate, and ice cream.
  • ndj1979
    Options

My advice, if you suck at it, don't do it. Eat dirty WHILE meeting your macro needs. It can be done.

true ..

It is just an astronomical leap to go from 'I can't eat clean' to advice about a medical condition that was never even indicated...

• pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Wash the food before you put it in your mouth. :p
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

true ..

It is just an astronomical leap to go from 'I can't eat clean' to advice about a medical condition that was never even indicated...

Agreed. Unfortunately, another OP has fallen by the wayside after a very vague statement.

tumblr_mmjx0jUXLO1qk8jpko1_250.gif
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ditto on what umayster & Kalikel said. 1) Don't try to give up everything at once; 2) If you want it, eat it (only a smaller portion). 3) Ditch (for the most part) canned veggies--keep some for emergencies; I buy frozen and then cook up what my husband & I will eat at dinner time (usually no or very little leftovers). 4) Make swaps you can live with; this should be a lifestyle, not a "diet" to lose X# of lbs--you will only gain back what you have lost (and then some).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I prefer the term "nutrient dense" and try to incorporate as many fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains and dairy into my day as I can fit into my calories. But I always save some discretionary calories for "emotionally dense" foods like wine, chocolate, and ice cream.

Nice way to put it. I prefer to use the term "convenience foods" rather than "junk foods" or "processed" too.

ETA: wine is not only emotionally dense but one of the necessities of life. Currently on a Tempranillo kick.

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

This has nothing to do with what the OP ask for.

LOL