How do I stop the grazing?

Options

Replies

• Kathrynha77
    Kathrynha77 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hormones?

I know there are times of the month when I am constantly hungry. I try to continue to eat my 3 healthy and filling meals, then try and ensure that the grazing is as healthy as possible so it does minimal damage.
    And also drinking plenty as everyone else has said.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone I try and drink 2 litres of Water a day I drink from pint glasses so it's hard to add cups I also don't drink normal water on its own the taste is boring so I add no added sugar squash to it.

A UK pint is 2.4 cups for logging.

If the grazing is in the morning try to reduce your carb intake and eat something more protein / fat based for breakfast. Lose the banana, wafer biscuit and other sugary things and you may get less hunger from blood sugar dropping later.

On the other hand if you're grazing because you're bored.....
  • mirlredmann
    mirlredmann Posts: 28 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I looked at your diary: stop eating those "light" products and sugar replacements, they mess with your brain. Eat the full calorie versions, get away from eating those condiments and sugar "replacements" every day all the day.
    And I also agree with T.Toad above: do eat fats.
    And really: You eat A LOT of carbs squeezed in here and there, this will not help with not feeling hungry - try for example eating your morning yoghurt not with oats but with nuts.

Hej, and you look great, you already went a long way...
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for their help - i really dont like nuts in any form what about any other fruuit? i havent gotten the habit of light products from slimming world lol its very hard to eat full fat stuff as i just automatically buy the light dressing etc
    what do you mean about squeezed carbs hun?
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    for the record - ive just eaten a graze box containing dried fruit, cocunut and spongy tyoe things - whilst high in calories it has satisfied me more....

maybe this is the problem not enough fat
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I graze because I get bored, but I make sure at work I have satsumas or yoghurt near by, always eating something, still losing weight.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but what has helped me to stop grazing is:
    -pre-logging and pre-planning my meals and snacks - I make sure to have a morning and afternoon snack and I set times for them so that I know when I will be eating
    -instead of cutting my calories from the 2500+ I was eating right down to 1700 where I want to be, I cut down by 100 every 1-2 weeks and that gradual reduction has stopped me feeling as hungry/deprived. I think that's what they recommend on the NHS Website to cut down gradually.
    -find healthy food to snack on - that you actually enjoy. I don't mind almonds on their own but I don't really love them either, but I found a Nature Valley protein bar that has decent macros on it (for what it is) to eat instead of forcing myself to sit and eat almonds that I wasn't enjoying
    -plan "treats" for the day, e.g. I have a couple of hundred calories of chocolate on an evening
    -eat mindfully - this is the most important for me. I used to eat standing up, wandering around, while watching something on TV.... not even thinking about what I was stuffing in my mouth. Now I make myself sit down and savour every mouthful I eat and stop when I'm not enjoying it anymore, even if I'm just eating a piece of fruit, a chocolate bar, whatever, I will sit down and eat it properly

Like I say this is what's worked for me I'm not pretending to be an expert :)
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn with a sprinkle of cinnamon or PB2. I get those hungry days and when I do I just eat extra and then try and burn it off with exercise.
    I do find if I'm desperately craving something the thought of having to do an hour on the exercise bike to burn it off really helps me decide if I actually want it.

Agree though if you are regularly hungry you need more protein. I didn't look at your diary (sorry) are you eating enough calories and doing some exercise?
  • madz0007
    madz0007 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Another thought is watch you sugar intake, that can lead to a boost in insulin making you more hungry and then you are in a cycle of sugar, body makes more insulin, hungry, eat sugary snack.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Prelog your day. Make sure you're getting lots of fats and proteins, as they keep you sated longer.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you have a hungry day every few weeks, allow yourself a few hundred extra calories and don't agonize. If you are frequently hungry, you need to change your calorie/weight loss goals or your eating habitshabits.
  • divvyh
    divvyh Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of water when you're tempted to snack. Keep sweet gum at hand.
  • noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I graze a TON when I don't eat early during the day. If I have simple carbs for breakfast like a muffin or if I don't eat enough like days when I just grab a banana, I graze ALL DAY LONG. For me the trick is eating enough calories early. Eggs or some sort of protein usually do it. It's different for everyone, but I find saving the most calories for dinner is a bad plan. Try eating heavy early in the day and lighter at night. Drink water, black coffee, and tea at snack times so you still get your mental breaks and get to fiddle.
  • Kk2Aa
    Kk2Aa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey lovely,

I've found that set times for snacks has stopped me grazing I am a terrible grazer! Also keeping busy helps, you forget that you have the munchies!

Chewing gum does work it helps me in between meals and snacks when I just want to chomp something!

You know you can always message me :)

xx
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Add some more protein might help. Also, find something to do with your hands. For me, grazing was habit, even if my stomach was telling me to do so. Once I found something to distract myself like drawing, the general snack urge lessened dramatically. Of course, if your body is really hungry, it will still let you know, but that's a good way to weed out habit snacking.

Of course, if you want, you can split up your calories any way you want to, just have to keep it within your goal. So if you end up wanting to eat 6 or 7 times a day, you can adjust the amount you eat each time and that's perfectly fine. Some people do better that way.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    While I agree that low fat is not a great approach...your actual macros don't show you being low on fat at all. There are even a couple of days recently where you are over. I'm also seeing quite a bit of processed foods, even though some of your meals are from scratch. Your water additive, very processed yogurts, snack bars and lots of candy--none of these are homemade. Not that this is inherently wrong, but it doesn't match the story you are telling yourself about how you eat.

Has it been hot where you are recently? If you are getting around 8 cups of water a day, that might not be enough in the heat.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    While I agree that low fat is not a great approach...your actual macros don't show you being low on fat at all. There are even a couple of days recently where you are over. I'm also seeing quite a bit of processed foods, even though some of your meals are from scratch. Your water additive, very processed yogurts, snack bars and lots of candy--none of these are homemade. Not that this is inherently wrong, but it doesn't match the story you are telling yourself about how you eat.

Has it been hot where you are recently? If you are getting around 8 cups of water a day, that might not be enough in the heat.

Can I just ask you to point out the candy ?? As I don't eat that and this week I've been having very small square if chocolate at 9g each I had 1 biscuit a couple of mornings but I haven't had much
  • leahcollett1
    Options

Can I just ask you to point out the candy ?? As I don't eat that and this week I've been having very small square if chocolate at 9g each I had 1 biscuit a couple of mornings but I haven't had much

The snack bars are slimming world bars high in fibre so better than normal cereal bars
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Thanks everyone I try and drink 2 litres of Water a day I drink from pint glasses so it's hard to add cups I also don't drink normal water on its own the taste is boring so I add no added sugar squash to it.

A UK pint is 2.4 cups for logging.

If the grazing is in the morning try to reduce your carb intake and eat something more protein / fat based for breakfast. Lose the banana, wafer biscuit and other sugary things and you may get less hunger from blood sugar dropping later.

On the other hand if you're grazing because you're bored.....

@ljones22903- Ya, I'd be hungry in an hour after your Breakfast, Snack and Supper from today, but your Lunch and Dinner would fill me up. Check out the different mix of carbs, fat, and protein in those meals. Maybe moving forward keep notes on what meals satisfy you and what don't.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for their help - i really dont like nuts in any form what about any other fruuit? i havent gotten the habit of light products from slimming world lol its very hard to eat full fat stuff as i just automatically buy the light dressing etc
    what do you mean about squeezed carbs hun?

If your light products contain artificial sugar, you may be one of the people for whom studies show artificial sugar increases hunger.