Any successful weight loss just following fitness pal's recommend calories

Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    serasmommy wrote: »
    It has worked for me! Actually, it has worked for me despite my frequent lapses.

LOL, we don't discuss the lapses and maybe we should. We all have them. Those who have continued success log them and move on.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yeah ..you rock OP

I can't recommend progressive resistance training strongly enough though ...especially if you're looking for a tight, toned look

Muscles rock
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

Yes, when I first started using MFP in April 2012 I couldn't exercise much due to knee issues and lost weight by just following the recommended calorie allotment.

(I started with a goal for 2 #/week but that was too aggressive and making me miserable. I put it down to 0.5 #/wk to give me a cushion and by the summer, my knees were better, I was able to swim and walk, and I lost 1 #/wk.)

• pam338
    pam338 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've lost 36 lbs in four months just using the pal...no exercise...but now that I am at a healthier weight I'm incorporating walking in...went from 209 to 173 so far
  • Littleowl101
    Littleowl101 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that it definitely works! I've lost almost 50 pounds since the end of November. I've increased my activity level since starting because I feel better the lighter I get.

The important thing is, as others have said, to be as accurate as possible with your logging and tracking. A food scale is invaluable for this, especially with so little to lose.

Littleowl, your posts in this thread sound like you have reasonable expectations and goals, and I see good things ahead for you -- you've got this!

Thank you! Congrats on your weight loss 50lbs is amazing and thanks for the advice. It's appreciated :)
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    serasmommy wrote: »
    It has worked for me! Actually, it has worked for me despite my frequent lapses.

The main thing is you keep trying instead of giving up, you should be proud of that :)
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    83 pounds, here. I do work out (walking, yoga, lifting), but that's for fun, not because I feel like I have to.

You can do it :)

Well done on your weight loss :) I wish I was one of those people who exercise for fun haha, and I think I can do especially with all the advice and help from MFP

• Littleowl101
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Hi I'm sure this has been asked before but just wondering, has one followed the calories that fitness pal recommends every day and successfully lost weight? Without changing anything else? They recommend that to lose the amount I want that I consume 1350 calories daily, which I think is ok but should I include more exercises or just keep doing what I do.

Yes, when I first started using MFP in April 2012 I couldn't exercise much due to knee issues and lost weight by just following the recommended calorie allotment.

(I started with a goal for 2 #/week but that was too aggressive and making me miserable. I put it down to 0.5 #/wk to give me a cushion and by the summer, my knees were better, I was able to swim and walk, and I lost 1 #/wk.)

Thanks for your reply, what I love about MFP is how it can be adjusted to suit you and your lifestyle, congrats on your weight loss :)
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    pam338 wrote: »
    I've lost 36 lbs in four months just using the pal...no exercise...but now that I am at a healthier weight I'm incorporating walking in...went from 209 to 173 so far

Wow congrats!
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    83 pounds, here. I do work out (walking, yoga, lifting), but that's for fun, not because I feel like I have to.

Well done on your weight loss :) I wish I was one of those people who exercise for fun haha, and I think I can do especially with all the advice and help from MFP

You have to find what is fun for you. I like exercise as much as I would like to get an STD. I wanted to be a runner except for the fact that I can't breathe after I run a block. Then I got a bike for the first time in like 2 decades. I LOVE my bike! I ride 10 miles and while it is still a struggle at times, I feel good about it. It's not a chore. The onslaught of afternoon storms (and flash flooding) here the last 2 weeks have hindered my riding and I can feel myself turning into a big ol' B the longer I go without being able to ride.

I'll be honest I did precious little in terms of exercise pretty much the whole time I've been losing weight, and what I have done has been more sporadic than child support payments from my ex. And I'm still 50 pounds down from where I started at last year. :)
  • Littleowl101
    Options

You have to find what is fun for you. I like exercise as much as I would like to get an STD. I wanted to be a runner except for the fact that I can't breathe after I run a block. Then I got a bike for the first time in like 2 decades. I LOVE my bike! I ride 10 miles and while it is still a struggle at times, I feel good about it. It's not a chore. The onslaught of afternoon storms (and flash flooding) here the last 2 weeks have hindered my riding and I can feel myself turning into a big ol' B the longer I go without being able to ride.

I'll be honest I did precious little in terms of exercise pretty much the whole time I've been losing weight, and what I have done has been more sporadic than child support payments from my ex. And I'm still 50 pounds down from where I started at last year. :)

Hahaha this genuinely made me lol, i know what you mean though. I did Zumba a few years back and loved it, I managed to lose a stone doing it but the instructor left and even though I have tried a few different Zumba classes since, I can never find an instructor that made it as fun. I also loved polercise but wasn't very good at it haha.
  • Littleowl101
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    You've got this, Littleowl. I did notice that you say you want to lose 14 pounds. That isn't a lot, so just be aware that if you do this in a healthy way, you may not see a 1 pound per week loss - it'll be more like .5 pounds per week. I've just got 20 to go (though it doesn't always feel like "just", lol!) and I sometimes have to remind myself that I can't and shouldn't expect to see 2 pounds per week, and rarely even 1 pound.

The nice thing about MFP is that you can trust the system. Stick with it and you'll reach your goal without making yourself miserable in the meantime.

Exercise is fantastic for lots of reasons, as you know - and it's been found to be one of the most significant factors in keeping weight off long-term in those who have successfully lost. Best wishes to you!

No I understand 14lb isn't a lot but I just want to be at a weight that I am comfortable with so that I feel confident in myself. I work with the public and my customers aren't shy in mentioning my weight.. 'Your fairly putting the weight on' ect, also I was at a wedding recently and a 'friend' decided to mention how 'fat' we both are 'we are soooo fat, like really 'fat' and genuinely just putting me down. My weight does make me unhappy, and I want to do this for myself, however hearing these nasty comments makes me want to prove these a**holes wrong! So they may think they are hurting me but they are really giving me incentive to succeed. Be it 1lb or half a lb, a loss is a loss. I can do this :)
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Mines is currently set for 1lb a week, I'm in no rush and it took time for this weight to appear so it'll take time to lose it

Good call.

I had a hard time losing at first, but I hadn't yet peeked in on the forums to see all the good advice. I was doing nothing but cardio and trying to lose 2lb/week. Needless to say, that didn't really work for me and I was tired all the damn time.

Then I learned there was no special diet needed, got myself a rudimentary little food scale, stopped stressing about low-fat foods, focused on getting enough protein, picked up some weights and did the math required to lose at a reasonable rate, and I'm nearly 14 lbs down in three-ish months.

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options

Hahaha this genuinely made me lol, i know what you mean though. I did Zumba a few years back and loved it, I managed to lose a stone doing it but the instructor left and even though I have tried a few different Zumba classes since, I can never find an instructor that made it as fun. I also loved polercise but wasn't very good at it haha.

If you enjoy it, then keep doing it! I'm sure I'm quite the laughable spectacle on the side of the road huffing and puffing going up a modest hill, but IDGAF because I'm in it for the downhill breeze in my hair (through my helmet) moments. ;)
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I would echo what you've been told already. Use MFPs recommendations but adjust them based on your personal experience. Initially MFP set me at 1850 to lose 1 lb/week (sedentary setting). I was losing more than a lb/week, so i adjusted my setting to lightly active and 2250 and was able to lose 50+ lbs in 5-6 months. Also don't forget to eat back anywhere from 50-100% of your exercise calories back (again adjust based on experience). Best of luck.
  • crochetpaws
    crochetpaws Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    All these success stories are helping me with having the motivation to continue. I'm on my 4th day logging my calories (second attempt) and going good so far! I have a lot to lose. And I'm happy to know that MFP works without much excercise. It's hard for me to a lot of excercise at the weight I'm out. But hopefully I will be able to after I've lost a little weight.
    My doctor prescribed me Contrave, tho I have not started it yet.
    I ordered a food scale which will arrive tomorrow.
    Giving this 100% this time. It's nice to see the support here!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* I started out with about 35lbs to lose, going from 185 to my goal of 150. I did bike at first to give myself more calories, but that tapered off because I'm lazy. I currently weigh 144lbs (6lbs under my original goal) and the last 20lbs or so were all from following MFP's recommendations with little to no exercise at all. Still trying to find my maintenance calories (I don't want to lose too much; hubby likes my curves and so do I), but yeah; totally doable just following the recommendations and not working out.

Sidenote: I have my thingy set to sedentary, so I think just walking from my car to the store every day counts in my favor even if I don't count it.
  • rockclimberr
    rockclimberr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For myself at least adding an extra 200 calories and doing calisthenics or rockclimbing 3 days a week gets way better results. Your metabolism doesn't crash and your muscles get toned. Plus you are strong!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    All these success stories are helping me with having the motivation to continue. I'm on my 4th day logging my calories (second attempt) and going good so far! I have a lot to lose. And I'm happy to know that MFP works without much excercise. It's hard for me to a lot of excercise at the weight I'm out. But hopefully I will be able to after I've lost a little weight.
    My doctor prescribed me Contrave, tho I have not started it yet.
    I ordered a food scale which will arrive tomorrow.
    Giving this 100% this time. It's nice to see the support here!

Good luck!! :) It's not always easy (and almost never fun), but totally worth it and YOU CAN DO IT!! <3