2»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Don't need the salt.

Why does this myth persist? A can of Diet Coke has around 40 mg of sodium which accounts for a paltry 2% of a recommended total of 2000 mg per day. Nobody is having sodium problems because they drink diet soda.

Agreed. Using salt as a reason to avoid diet soda is completely ridiculous. It has about as much sodium as plain tap water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    OP, I love diet soda. It has helped me curb cravings for sweets in a pinch, and it's just an enjoyable addition to my everyday intake when I drink it in moderation. I don't drink more than a can or so a day (if that) just because I don't always buy it since it's expensive. But I don't feel any guilt or shame if I drink it, and I'm certainly not worried about the dodgy claims of its "dangers." Fear mongering isn't my style.

If you like it, drink it. If you don't like it, don't drink it. Just don't listen to people who are afraid of it because it contains chemikillz that they don't understand.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I think there's nothing wrong with a can or two a day. I like the fizz, and the caffeine is helpful for some people (people on night shift, like you, for example).

I agree with those who said bring your own from home. There's a couple of benefits - you avoid seeing the Payday in the candy machine, you have a greater variety and can be sure what you want is with you, and it costs a lot less. If you pay $5 for a case of 12 (that seems to be the average non-sale price around here), it's still just 42 cents per can, which is a lot less than vending machines.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking it although it is a favourite food, or non-food. It isn't a natural substance - not a real food. I know many people will now say we eat lots of non-foods and chemicals but I think that comes from a play on words. Pop is not something hmans have evolved to eat and I think I am better off without out.

I stopped because I am trying to treat some health issues with food as well as lose weight, which I find very difficult with sweets around. My situation will not apply to others. I'm sure there are people who can drink pop and have no side effects, just like I know smokers of 30 years who have no health issues, heavy drinkers (compared to average) who are perfectly healthy, and people who eat sugary treats everyday yet appear slim and healthy.

I don't think there is a one size fits all diet. For me, pop is off my foods list. Do whatever works for you. If you find diet soda is leading to snacking, you might want to drop it. I switched to carbonated water with lemon and spinach, avocado, kiwi smoothies. It helps me not miss the pop as much.

Best wishes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've drank diet soda for decades, and lots of it. I drank it when I was gaining and as I've lost weight.
    -It has zero calories, so I don't need to worry about that.
    -It has water in it, which hydrates you (yes, studies have shown that your body DOES use water from carbonated and caffeinated diet soda).
    -There have been more than 100 studes dones about aspartame (it may actually be the most studied substance regulated by the FDA). The 2 studies that show all kinds of health problems were done by a former doctor (her medical license was revoked) who did not use proper controls and testing to be used for anything. Even if you use the junk data, it doesn't actually conclude that there are risks for people who consume asapartame. So her conclusions didn't match even the inflated empirical results.
    *There are some who have a rare genetic disorder that should avoid aspartame.

Most diet sodas are switching to Splenda these days anyway. Splenda is actually natural sugar, but with an atom removed so that your body is unable to absorb it. It just passes through, and thus represents 0 calories still.

OK, so now that I've gotten past that....

I drink a lot of diet soda. In fact, I think I'm addicted. I would like to decrease soda consumption for 2 reasons:
    1. To save money. I can easily afford diet soda, but this would free up some extra cash... who doesn't want that?! But I don't want this badly enough to suffer through trying to quit.
    2. I hate feeling like I need to have it. I don't like to be dependent on this substance, and I fear what would happen if I were unable to access diet soda for an extended period of time.

I'm not sure if I'll ever decrease consumption or quit, just because it is stressful... maybe when I have less stress otherwise in my life, I might try to quit.
  • angell2277
    angell2277 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A couple of years ago. I was not losing so my friend suggested stop all diet soda, Nutrasweet and Spelenda in any form. Gave it up for three weeks. I did not lose a pound so I went back to all of it. :(
  • tesha_chandler
    tesha_chandler Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I love my diet Dr Pepper!! I have heard that drinking diet sodas can actually hinder weight loss. I've never actually looked into that nor did it cause me any issues, though. But we all know that "water is best" :p
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I love my diet Dr Pepper!! I have heard that drinking diet sodas can actually hinder weight loss. I've never actually looked into that nor did it cause me any issues, though. But we all know that "water is best" :p

My understanding of why it supposedly hinders weight loss is because there is a belief that sweet taste (even at 0 calories) causes hunger. Based on that belief, people who drink diet soda will over-eat and cannot lose weight.

If someone is accurately tracking calorie intake, then the whole theory (that sweet taste = unknowing over-consumption) doesn't hold water.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The biggest concern with diet soda as it pertains to weight loss, is the fact it produces the same chemical triggers in the body as a regular soda or other high sugar item. You get the high, followed shortly by the crash, and the crash tends to cause ppl to crave and overeat.

How well you handle cravings will determine what you should do concerning allowing or limiting your intake.

As to health concerns due to artificial sweeteners or other additives, that is a whole different story. I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, and I dont keep up on the latest info, so I can't tell you which ones they have reclassified as poisons or safe this week.

Since they're constantly changing their recommendations on everything, and just about anything these days has some kinda chemical additive in it, your gonna get exposed to something that causes an increased risk of some medical issue like every 15 mins, and theres nothing you can do about it. Since it's impossible ( at least practically ) to get away from it, it just ends up being more useless noise/chatter, and I ignore it.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I miss it, there is nothing wrong with it.

I get bad migraines and when I stopped drinking diet soda with aspartame my headaches decreased. Otherwise I would still be drinking it. Unfortunately anything sweetened with aspartame triggers migraines for me so I have to watch all foods that are artificially sweetened.
  • IronBatMaiden
    IronBatMaiden Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I hate it. I used to drink it, but I don't anymore.

Hell, I don't even drink regular soda most of the time.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I don't drink pop at all unless it's a coke with rum in it. And I tried getting diet coke to mix with my rum and I'd rather just drink the rum straight.

Diet Polar Orange Dry + pineapple (or coconut, or pineapple coconut) rum? F Yeah.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I miss it, there is nothing wrong with it.

I get bad migraines and when I stopped drinking diet soda with aspartame my headaches decreased. Otherwise I would still be drinking it. Unfortunately anything sweetened with aspartame triggers migraines for me so I have to watch all foods that are artificially sweetened.

Correlation =\\\= causation.....

OP: diet soda is my favorite calories of the day!!! Although I do enjoy coffee more.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    love my coke zero!
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I love diet soda, and I think it tastes even better since I've reduced my sugar intake.

I laugh when I read studies that link obesity with diet soda, then everyone runs around screaming that diet soda makes you fat. I think the more likely reason is people just tend to overeat when they think they're saving so many calories with the diet soda. If you're tracking calories, overeating shouldn't be a problem.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    teephil wrote: »
    I love diet soda, and I think it tastes even better since I've reduced my sugar intake.

I laugh when I read studies that link obesity with diet soda, then everyone runs around screaming that diet soda makes you fat. I think the more likely reason is people just tend to overeat when they think they're saving so many calories with the diet soda. If you're tracking calories, overeating shouldn't be a problem.

Diet soda AND sugar are making people overweight
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    teephil wrote: »

There is a link between shopping at Walmart and being fat, ergo shopping at Walmart makes you fat.
    There is a link between driving your car to work and being fat, ergo driving your car makes you fat.
    There is a link between eating chicken and being fat, ergo eating chicken makes you fat.
    There is a link between sleeping on a mattress and being fat, ergo sleeping on a mattress makes you fat.
    etc.