What to ask a nutritionist?

Options
AmieAP
AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
Hello,
I am going to a free one hour session with a personal trainer/nutritionist tonight and I don't quite know what I need to know. I don't know what to ask or what I should be doing and eating. It's exciting but I'm afraid I will burn up my hour with the wrong questions.
Thanks,
Amie

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Question 1: Where did you get your certifications from and what credentials do you hold?
  • AmieAP
    Options
    She got her stuff from UofA (Alberta)
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Why aren't you a Dietitian? What are you going to try and sell me?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Have you been keeping a diary of your food intake and exercise? Always start from where you are.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    Her info online says UofA, specializing in nutrition. I don't know what that means. I do log food and exercise.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    I don't care where she got her credentials from. I just don't want to waste my hour asking dumb questions. What would you guys ask about nutrition and health?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    I don't care where she got her credentials from. I just don't want to waste my hour asking dumb questions. What would you guys ask about nutrition and health?

You should

A "nutritionist" isn't a recognized credential with any sort of standardized qualifications whatsoever. It could be that they took some kooky online quiz, and printed out a certificate saying they're now a "nutritionist".

At least here in the US, the credential you want to look for is "Registered Dietician". Since you said U of Alberta, I assume you're in Canada, and don't know what the equivalent credential is up north, but surely they have one.

It's also pretty common that many trainers know jack squat about nutrition issues, hence the additional care I'd give in verifying her credentials. Many get 'certified' by some MLM company and will try to hock overpriced crap on their clients.

In fairness, it's quite possible she knows her stuff, and will be very good too. But I'd verify before taking any advice or asking anything further.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would prepare information on yourself, with your stats and personal goals. And then ask her what calorie intake she would recommend for you, what ratio of macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) she would recommend, and maybe what are some good staples to include in your diet. You could also ask her to help you construct some sample hypothetical meals to get a good understanding of how to construct a good meal and portion sizes. That's what I would ask.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    To benefit from your meeting, bring in your diary of food and exercise for the past two days. That will give the both of you something to work with.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    AmieAP wrote: »

You should

A "nutritionist" isn't a recognized credential with any sort of standardized qualifications whatsoever. It could be that they took some kooky online quiz, and printed out a certificate saying they're now a "nutritionist".

At least here in the US, the credential you want to look for is "Registered Dietician". Since you said U of Alberta, I assume you're in Canada, and don't know what the equivalent credential is up north, but surely they have one.

It's also pretty common that many trainers know jack squat about nutrition issues, hence the additional care I'd give in verifying her credentials. Many get 'certified' by some MLM company and will try to hock overpriced crap on their clients.

In fairness, it's quite possible she knows her stuff, and will be very good too. But I'd verify before taking any advice or asking anything further.

Thank you. I will do that. You are right, I don't want to take bad advice. That's no better than no advice at all.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    rh091 wrote: »
    I would prepare information on yourself, with your stats and personal goals. And then ask her what calorie intake she would recommend for you, what ratio of macronutrients (fat, protein, carbs) she would recommend, and maybe what are some good staples to include in your diet. You could also ask her to help you construct some sample hypothetical meals to get a good understanding of how to construct a good meal and portion sizes. That's what I would ask.

Thank you. I will do that as well.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

This is a red flag to me if she's claiming a degree from UofA. Still go to her session, by all means, and see what she has to say; she might have a reasonable knowledge base, even her credentials are a bit shaky. Just be cautious if she tries to set you up with more sessions.

I second taking your diary there. It will save a lot of time if she can see what you've already been doing. If she ignores it and automatically tries to set you up with a new product/plan, then there's another sign.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    it just said she studied at UofA, whatever that means.

I will not pay for more sessions because Im cheap - I mean frugal, im frugal.

that's for the tips. if she tries selling us. ill close up shop.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fellow frugal Edmontonian, I take it. ;)
  • br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ask her what part of the body monosaturated and polysaturated fats keep from shutting down. Answer gallbladder. also what burns first second and last? Carbs protein or fat? Answer in that order. If she doesn't know these answers find someone qualified.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Why aren't you a Dietitian? What are you going to try and sell me?

@isulo_kura
    In Alberta, Canada, Registered Nutritionist is the same as a Dietician.
  • mistib1229
    mistib1229 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just a guess...but I'm assuming if she were a registered dietitian/nutritionist then it would say that specifically. My sister is a registered dietitian and from what I've been told and witnessed, they make a point to emphasize the "registered dietitian" part to separate themselves from the "nutritionist/nutrition coach" crowd.
  • javakitty
    javakitty Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Talk to her about your challenges. Whatever issues you have that make it difficult to stay on plan!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    mistib1229 wrote: »
    Just a guess...but I'm assuming if she were a registered dietitian/nutritionist then it would say that specifically. My sister is a registered dietitian and from what I've been told and witnessed, they make a point to emphasize the "registered dietitian" part to separate themselves from the "nutritionist/nutrition coach" crowd.

She may have. People in their field will make those distinctions but most people will just refer to them as dieticians or nutritionists. Many people are not aware of the distinction. No one in this thread used the term "registered dietician".
    Also, the person specificed she is in a University level program specializing in nutrition. Their "nutrition" program is a dietetics program.