Weird question....

Options
Does anybody else get heart burn or indigestion because they exercise? For example, there was a period of time I didn't exercise and during that time got no heart burn or indigestion but every time I start up again I get it. Maybe something's wrong with me? And I would also throw up every morning not intentionally, idk if that means I'm stressing my body too much? Or will I get used to it and my body will stop?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    yeah i get heartburn and indigestion when i workout if i'm not careful what i eat before i work out and the timing of when i eat it. If you're using your core properly you'll be squishing up everything in your stomach. When i put on my belt, i like a somewhat empty stomach or it all gets pushed up and painful. there have been times i've had to go throw up to make it stop. Just be aware of what you eat and how soon before you workout. If i drink water directly before or while im working out, it happens also.
  • jojo4everjq839
    jojo4everjq839 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So happy I'm not the only one!! I try exercising in the morning before I eat anything so that there's nothing to make me feel like my food is coming up but then the entire rest of the day I get heart burn and indigestion with every meal and it's not like I'm eating a lot anymore but I try to drink lots of water which pushes my food up. It's so annoying. Sometimes I have no choice but to exercise after dinner but that's rare and those are the worst times.
  • tenkides
    tenkides Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Try eat cheese or milk before you workout. It has helped me a lot.
  • jojo4everjq839
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @tenkides Milk sometimes helps but I need to buy a low fat milk for myself cause the fam likes whole fat. Whole fat makes me gain and I think I'm lactose so its hard on my stomach. Cheese actually gives me heart burn haha ugh my body is so freakin sensitive!!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i always have zantac in my gym bag. for me its just about not eating acidic or spicey foods. As much as i love the nutrition content and ease of a giant chicken burrito before i work out, i just can't do it.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to drink, and eat about 2hrs after workouts.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I do when I'm working my core... Working out on an empty stomach helps me
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i always have zantac in my gym bag. for me its just about not eating acidic or spicey foods. As much as i love the nutrition content and ease of a giant chicken burrito before i work out, i just can't do it.

It's so hard to eat foods that aren't acidic it seems like everything I eat is acidic or maybe I create a lot of bile? Eating an avocado cheese eggs chicken anything does it for me it seems like. Haha I always thought that maybe it was all the bad stuff trying to get out of your body when your getting healthy.
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    Even vitamins for crying out loud! Haha and I take them with a meal.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    So happy I'm not the only one!! I try exercising in the morning before I eat anything so that there's nothing to make me feel like my food is coming up but then the entire rest of the day I get heart burn and indigestion with every meal and it's not like I'm eating a lot anymore but I try to drink lots of water which pushes my food up. It's so annoying. Sometimes I have no choice but to exercise after dinner but that's rare and those are the worst times.

Have you tried just plain toast/bread or crackers? Something dry usually helps me-as long as it's a small portion (even a cookie!) Lots of food does this to me, especially if I lift extra heavy or am doing intense cardio. Even too much water makes me sick. You definitely have to find a balance. Not eating makes me want to vomit when I workout, personally. Keep trying different stuff
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I'm on a reduced carb diet and rarely get heartburn.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Everything gives me horrific heartburn. I'm also a nervous barfer and a stress barfer. yeah. I take protonix now and it's been totally gone unless I partake in salsa or spicy Thai food. I've been like this since kids, not before, doesn't seem to be related to exercise, though I don't do core exercises really like situps or anything.
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

Have you tried just plain toast/bread or crackers? Something dry usually helps me-as long as it's a small portion (even a cookie!) Lots of food does this to me, especially if I lift extra heavy or am doing intense cardio. Even too much water makes me sick. You definitely have to find a balance. Not eating makes me want to vomit when I workout, personally. Keep trying different stuff

Thank you I'll take that into consideration!
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »

Hmm...may help..what are good foods that don't have so many carbs?
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    Everything gives me horrific heartburn. I'm also a nervous barfer and a stress barfer. yeah. I take protonix now and it's been totally gone unless I partake in salsa or spicy Thai food. I've been like this since kids, not before, doesn't seem to be related to exercise, though I don't do core exercises really like situps or anything.

Oh my gosh! I'm so with you on that! I've gotten all these horrible effects since kids not before! It sucks I'll get into a big argument with the hubby and then the next thing you know I'm puking for days and it's not like I want to stress and anxiety make me sick. Have you been through anything traumatic? I think that's why I get sick with that. Is protonix prescribed to you? But yeah exercise does it to me could be stress related.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »

I'm not on a reduced carb diet and I also rarely get heartburn. I don't think carbs really have anything to do with it.

Have you tried going to the doctors, jojo? Throwing up that much doesn't sound normal. How much are you working out? You might be doing too much too soon.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else get heart burn or indigestion because they exercise? For example, there was a period of time I didn't exercise and during that time got no heart burn or indigestion but every time I start up again I get it. Maybe something's wrong with me? And I would also throw up every morning not intentionally, idk if that means I'm stressing my body too much? Or will I get used to it and my body will stop?

you need to speak tp your doctor. throwing up every morning is NOT normal
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @tenkides Milk sometimes helps but I need to buy a low fat milk for myself cause the fam likes whole fat. Whole fat makes me gain and I think I'm lactose so its hard on my stomach. Cheese actually gives me heart burn haha ugh my body is so freakin sensitive!!

DOCTOR
  • jojo4everjq839
    Options
    If they tell me it's stress and anxiety I don't think imma take an anxiety med or anything like that cause I'm not about that life haha
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I burp a few times while I exercise. I've got to be careful so I don't throw up. If I burp at the wrong moment, my snack may end up on my shirt. :|