You don't have to go No-Carb to burn fat

Options
2»

Replies

• 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Russ. I do think the so called junk carbs are demonized way too much. I continue to progress eating ice cream, cake, donuts and pizza. The key is creating a window of not eating carbs early in the day and then eating whatever carb you want in the evening.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    One thing that struck me from the OP was the mention of carbs in the evening.

This seems counter intuitive as carbs are much harder to process and in the evening your body is winding down. Why would you eat them in the evening?

Was this based on any research?

I agree with pretty much everything else said. But carbs in the evenings doesn't seem right...
  • thegoodner
    thegoodner Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about eating chicken and water all day with no Carb snacks, then I agree. But a good amount of carbs come from fruits and veggies! Whole grains are not necessary to the body, and in fact mine is allergic! I went to the doctor miserable and depressed and overweight, after finding my celiac diagnosis and By eating lean meats, fish, nuts, berries, seeds and all kinds of yummy veggies, I am eating a ton of food and having to try to eat above 1200 calories. I am sleeping better, exercising harder, recovering easier, and literally dropping weight daily. Fact is that everyone's body is different. We would all do well to avoid processed foods, but what works for one wont for another! Good luck everyone and listen to YOUR body: )
  • atrayubrandy
    atrayubrandy Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One thing that struck me from the OP was the mention of carbs in the evening.

This seems counter intuitive as carbs are much harder to process and in the evening your body is winding down. Why would you eat them in the evening?

Was this based on any research?

I agree with pretty much everything else said. But carbs in the evenings doesn't seem right...

I'm wondering the same thing. I was told by a diabetic friend who dropped almost 100 lbs and is now able to control his diabetes without medication that if you are going to eat carbs do so in the morning so your body can process it and work it off. He would have the occasional mocha in the morning but that would be his only treat for the day.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. Plain and simple. Love them.

However, I disagree with eating all my carbs at night. I try and eat them in the morning so my body has time to burn them off through the day.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I lost 130~ as well and gained muscle in the process by eating no carbs.

Then slowly carb cycled back into them.

Started body building and again eliminated carbs from my diet.

While I agree that it's not the only way, it is one of the best ways.

To this day I keep my daily carbs at about 50-70g and maybe two or three times a week I'll eat around 150g.

Fat is a better energy source than carbs, too.
  • JenniferVegas
    JenniferVegas Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Russ. I do think the so called junk carbs are demonized way too much. I continue to progress eating ice cream, cake, donuts and pizza. The key is creating a window of not eating carbs early in the day and then eating whatever carb you want in the evening.

Interesting. I heard the reverse. If you're going to eat carbs do it before evening. However, I presume it's working for you so kudos. =)
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I lost 130~ as well and gained muscle in the process by eating no carbs.

Then slowly carb cycled back into them.

Started body building and again eliminated carbs from my diet.

While I agree that it's not the only way, it is one of the best ways.

To this day I keep my daily carbs at about 50-70g and maybe two or three times a week I'll eat around 150g.

Fat is a better energy source than carbs, too.

QFT. New to MFP, not new to no/low carb.

Once you break the mindset that carbohydrates are at the base of the food pyramid, you find out how much more efficient fatty fuel sources are.

I only eat carbs for 3 reasons. a) For fun (yum, dairy queen). b) For high-intensity interval training lasting longer than 60min (50g dextrose in juice form). c) For a fibre/mineral supplement (bleh spinach).

There are no other times that I need to spike my blood glucose, blood glucose is toxic to the body so it MUST be stored. Insulin is an anabolic hormone, if you induce insulin by eating carbohydrates your body WILL store that energy (i.e. glycogen and body fat). I don't know why people have such a hard time letting go of carbohydrates, the good ones taste bad and the tasty ones promote insulin resistance and fat storage. The key to eating carbs is to not spike your blood glucose, so you can tip toe around the "good carbs" or you can refuse to eat any (except during/post/prior to high intensity exercise).
  • Akiyah
    Akiyah Posts: 57
    Options
    I absolutely love carbs and would fail miserably if I cut too much of them. I am making good progress on the diet plan I have now and am ok with losing slow and steady. Dieting alone always made me unhappy but now that I have implemented exercise as well, I couldn't feel more free. : )))
  • Knightrobs
    Knightrobs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Anyone ever notice how much the "carb-lovers" sound like drug addicts...
  • rileysmom7603
    Options
    Hahahaha!!!!! It is sooooo true! I am a total sugar addict! The longer I go with out it the better I feel. No more cravings. Now a piece of fruit is my dessert and I am fully satisfied! I started working out with a trainer on feb 1st and his first words to me are " NO SUGAR!!! I don't care about the fat but NO SUGAR!" 60lbs lighter and a hell of a lot stronger I don't even want to look at bad carbs cause I know how sluggish I feel afterward.
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    People still do low carb diets ?

Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat close to bedtime as well. I do 40/40/20 (P/C/F), lift heavy 4 times per week, some cardio, and eat in a deficit. I eat Chipotle, chocolate, or whatever else I want as long as I have all my macros in for the day and I am still at a calorie deficit. Weight is coming off at 2-3 lbs per week, although I have it set for 1 lb per week.

Just keep it simple. Calorie deficit and macros are all that matter.

Back in the early 90s I lost 100 lbs on a high carb/low protein diet, but it was also a low calorie diet (I don't recommend this, especially for keeping muscle mass, but it just shows that is it calories in/calories out that matters). I kept it off for over 10 years and I am back here because I am weightlifting and need to lose a few pounds after a bulk.
  • Agglaki
    Agglaki Posts: 105
    Options
    People still do low carb diets ?

Meal timing is irrelevant. I eat close to bedtime as well. I do 40/40/20 (P/C/F), lift heavy 4 times per week, some cardio, and eat in a deficit. I eat Chipotle, chocolate, or whatever else I want as long as I have all my macros in for the day and I am still at a calorie deficit. Weight is coming off at 2-3 lbs per week, although I have it set for 1 lb per week.

Just keep it simple. Calorie deficit and macros are all that matter.

Back in the early 90s I lost 100 lbs on a high carb/low protein diet, but it was also a low calorie diet (I don't recommend this, especially for keeping muscle mass, but it just shows that is it calories in/calories out that matters). I kept it off for over 10 years and I am back here because I am weightlifting and need to lose a few pounds after a bulk.

Do you mind giving an indication of your build? Weight / Height / Approx body fat?

It is always easier to drop fat and in turn weight if you are already overweight. But once you drop down to single digit body fat the impact of carbs, protein, the timing of meals etc all play a major role in any further development.

In fact I would even go as far as saying that the type of carb you take on once you reach single digit body fat levels is vital if you want to shed the last bits of fat around the belly button and the love handles.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I scoffed at all of the Paleo threads until I realized there's various variations of it, and they do still intake complex carbs from vegetables. I don't like the idea of a Keto diet though, at least not for long term weight loss.