Ketogenic diet - who else?

Options
Hi,
It's been a week since I went to keto diet. I'm new to this app and looking for other keto-dieters to share experiences. :)

Replies

• AudreyBanks
    AudreyBanks Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm doing the keto diet and I'm doing IF @ the same time I've lost 36 pounds since March 26 2015
  • Iwosial
    Iwosial Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow!! Good job!!! Nice to meet you :-)
  • Becky03026847
    Becky03026847 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of the keto diet...can you give me some details of how it works? Thanks.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    keto diet (off the top of my head) is usually a high fat, low carb, medium protien diet designed to get your body to use ketones for energy instead of glucose. As far as i can remember, i think that is the general laymans explanation.

It can be tiring, especially after the first week or two, and im not so sure about the con's of a high fat diet outweigh the pro.

Still, if it helps you stick to it then go for it.

I find IF fantastic btw, and much more effective for me.
  • midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love IF. It's amazing how awesome it can feel and the wonders it does for weight loss.

As far as my understanding goes, keto for long term (like a few years) could be harmful but short term is fine. My sister who has epilepsy is on a keto diet and has been for two years by recommendation of her doctor.
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    are you advertising your business?? :/

OP you dont need to spend money to lose weight, no fancy crap needed.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
  • Iwosial
    Options
    Thanks!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I have a friend doing keto. Although he's eating probably 90% of his fat from saturated fat. Not sure how healthy that is, but I think it's a little overboard.... He does the bullet proof coffee thing every single morning, but uses 2 full stick of butter instead of a tablespoon. I almost puked for him when he was guzzling it down.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    We know that saturated fat in the blood stream isn't really a function of sat fat in the diet for most people but some people might crank up their LDL cholesterol with a high intake. No idea whether that's healthy or not.
  • Iwosial
    Options
    In fact keto-diet is recommended as a life changing diet :) there is plenty of people who have been on keto for years and they're healthier than people who are not on any diet, or just eat normally. There is lots of articles and medical proofs that keto diet is good for human body. And it's rather long term diet, diet for life than short term
  • jesterkazuzi
    jesterkazuzi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    IwonaPalko wrote: »
    Hi,
    It's been a week since I went to keto diet. I'm new to this app and looking for other keto-dieters to share experiences. :)

I have started last week. How are you finding it?
  • gainesma
    gainesma Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Neither ketogenic eating or fasting is harmful to our bodies. Science has clinically proven this repeatedly.

The longest fast was 383 days and the patient lost 276 lbs and only got healthier each day he did not consume food. 5 years later he's still 190 lbs.

Dietary Fats and proteins are 100 % essential to life. Dietary carbohydrates are 0% essential. That's right you can live a perfectly healthy l kj iife if you don't eat a single carbohydrate. The 383 day clinical fast clearly proved this to be factual. The only thing he ate was his own body fat... Honestly tons of studies out here today including p eer reviewed gov. Studies showing high fat diets are not bad for our health and very beneficial for diabetics.

Lots of lectures on YouTube by medical doctors from excellent universities all over the world.

SWEDEN HAS OFFICIALLY ADOPTED KETOGENIC DIETS AS THEIR GOLD STANDARD...
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    gainesma wrote: »
    Neither ketogenic eating or fasting is harmful to our bodies. Science has clinically proven this repeatedly.

The longest fast was 383 days and the patient lost 276 lbs and only got healthier each day he did not consume food. 5 years later he's still 190 lbs.

Dietary Fats and proteins are 100 % essential to life. Dietary carbohydrates are 0% essential. That's right you can live a perfectly healthy l kj iife if you don't eat a single carbohydrate. The 383 day clinical fast clearly proved this to be factual. The only thing he ate was his own body fat... Honestly tons of studies out here today including p eer reviewed gov. Studies showing high fat diets are not bad for our health and very beneficial for diabetics.

Lots of lectures on YouTube by medical doctors from excellent universities all over the world.

SWEDEN HAS OFFICIALLY ADOPTED KETOGENIC DIETS AS THEIR GOLD STANDARD...

Lol!

So he lost 0 lbm?

Sweden certainly did not, I was just in sweden, they eat a good amount of carbs there, in Denmark as well.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did keto for awhile, its great for weight loss because of the satiation, but I couldn't recommend it as a lifestyle. I need convenience and social foods in my life, and keto has very little leeway for that. On top of that, it can hinder strength training unless you do something like CKD or TKD.
  • arb037
    arb037 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Keto FTW.