I just read people don't need to stress abut macros?

Options
This interests me as I saw it on another post..

And it made me think, if we shouldn't have to worry about macros then why do we use MFP?

My mind is blown :-/

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Some people count calories without focusing on macros.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Link?
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,773 Member
    Options

same, i pay attention to macros but i dont worry about them..to be honest i dont worry about calories but i like to know what im doing.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I never even look at the macros, except maybe the protein from time to time. :)
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I care about my macros for nutritional balance and because being prediabetic, I need to watch my sugar. I also tend to get too little protein, and since protein is so filling, I'm less snacky when I watch my protein intake.
  • BJG7_UK
    BJG7_UK Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    interesting, so people are just generally calorie counting?

• DeguelloTex
    Options
    BJG7_UK wrote: »
    interesting, so people are just generally calorie counting?
    Some people are, yes. Some people aren't.

• dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've seen it said that people should first focus on the total calories, and when they've got a handle on that then maybe start to think more carefully about macros - I'm sure that's in the famous Sexypants thread. Kind of aimed at newbies who are getting confused and stressed about low carb/paleo/eat"clean"andneverneedtocountcalories etc etc and putting the cart before the horse.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options

Yup. I log my food to keep track of the calories. I glance at the other stuff now and then, but don't worry about any of that stuff. Just the calories.

• mich19025
    mich19025 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think there is a difference between focusing on fat loss and weight loss. When trying to drop bodyfat and keep lean mass you have to go about things a little differently.
  • BJG7_UK
    Options
    I've seen it said that people should first focus on the total calories, and when they've got a handle on that then maybe start to think more carefully about macros - I'm sure that's in the famous Sexypants thread. Kind of aimed at newbies who are getting confused and stressed about low carb/paleo/eat"clean"andneverneedtocountcalories etc etc and putting the cart before the horse.

Very interesting...

In another post I read from a runner, people shouldn't stress about macros as long as they eat fruit, veg and lean protein...

But, that didn't really make sense to me as that promoting a low fat diet and fat in a macro..

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't know many people in my personal life that care about macros. Everyone I know who's on a diet is all about the calories.
  • BJG7_UK
    Options
    mich19025 wrote: »
    I think there is a difference between focusing on fat loss and weight loss. When trying to drop bodyfat and keep lean mass you have to go about things a little differently.

I agree, and I guess that sums it up pretty well :)
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Very interesting...

In another post I read from a runner, people shouldn't stress about macros as long as they eat fruit, veg and lean protein...

But, that didn't really make sense to me as that promoting a low fat diet and fat in a macro..
    Well, yeah, you're probably going to want more fat than that will provide. Still, you have to start somewhere and for most people that's calories, rather than macros.

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    I really only use MFP for calorie counting.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    I check my calories

I glance at my protein to ensure I'm around 100g minimum, unless a heavy workout day and then I look harder

Less frequently I check my fats

I always eat fresh veg daily

But yeah I don't really sweat it
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    But by logging if the mood takes me I can check over time and then if something is jarring I can adjust it
  • BJG7_UK
    Options

Very interesting...

Well, yeah, you're probably going to want more fat than that will provide. Still, you have to start somewhere and for most people that's calories, rather than macros.

My issue with the advice I read is that I did just that when I started dieting last time **fruit, veg, lean protein**.. and at 235lbs I hit a wall pretty quick. I took some convincing to track macros, and boom I drop to 179lbs.

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My main focus is my fats and carbs. I try to eat more fat than carbs percentage wise. But I mean I don't obsess about it. I just check it at the end of the day to see how I did and if its good, its good. If its bad, its good.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

Very interesting...

My issue with the advice I read is that I did just that when I started dieting last time **fruit, veg, lean protein**.. and at 235lbs I hit a wall pretty quick. I took some convincing to track macros, and boom I drop to 179lbs.
    I'm gonna have to say that has nothing to do with macros, per se. You were eating less, probably because you were tracking.