I Stay Constipated. What To Do?

Options
pwponton44
pwponton44 Posts: 17 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
....I typical have a decent bowel movement once a week and that only happens after taking dulcolax or some other form of "wash out" as my Jamaican elders would call it. I am diabetic and the doctor believes it a side effect of my medication Metforim. I can't reduce the dosage any further. Everything I am told to drink is high in sugar which is counterproductive to my weight loss effort. Any suggestion for relief?

Replies

• ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pwponton44 wrote: »
    ....I typical have a decent bowel movement once a week and that only happens after taking dulcolax or some other form of "wash out" as my Jamaican elders would call it. I am diabetic and the doctor believes it a side effect of my medication Metforim. I can't reduce the dosage any further. Any suggestion for relief?

Fiberous fruits (apples, pears, etc...) and lots of water. You'll need to watch your carbs a little, but most T2s can fit in some fruit. Also, maybe a Fiber One bar once and a while? There are a decent amount of carbs in there as well, but once again - an occasional bar (or 1/2) should be okay.

Erm... and coffee usually works a little, too, and that's something that doesn't require extra sugar.

If diet doesn't seem to be helping, I would go to the doctor again and have an examination done. There could be something blocking your colon.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Track your fiber
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Diarrhea is a side effect of Metformin. I've never heard of it causing constipation.

Are you eating enough fats? Do you eat fruits and veggies? Peaches, pears, plums, prunes, pineapple, peppers. If it starts with p it will make you go.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Any Walden Farms product does the trick for me.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Most important thing is regular exercise.

Drink water.

Eat enough fiber.

But you should really see a doctor. Pooping once a week is not normal.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    What does your fat intake look like?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    probiotics and lots of coffee
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I drink a lots of water. More than the recommended 8 cups. Then lots of fruit. Apples and pears and others with fiber. Some days I might eat 3 apples. Soft bananas, not my favorite. Prunes. Warm prune juice. This one really works. Don't drink too much of it though. Fiber supplements. Make sure you drink plenty of fluids and increase fiber slowly. Also beans and peas. Oatmeal and raisins. That's all I can think of now. I have had my fair share of problems. Make sure you get your thyroid checked out. Low thyroid can cause constipation.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Diarrhea is a side effect of Metformin. I've never heard of it causing constipation.

Are you eating enough fats? Do you eat fruits and veggies? Peaches, pears, plums, prunes, pineapple, peppers. If it starts with p it will make you go.

ICWYDT ;)

Ditto on the Metformin thing. I was kind of hesitant to offer this at first, as the two people I know of who are on it (and close enough that I would know their bathroom habits) don't have gallbladders. Metformin, in my experience, has resulted in the opposite problem.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hydration - Dietary fat - Physical movement - Caffeine

There are 2 types of fiber: soluble and insoluble: http://www.webmd.com/diet/compare-dietary-fibers

My go-to insoluble is oatmeal

If you need to increase your fiber intake....go slowly.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    A dose of Miralax every single morning, and 4-8 ounces of prune juice every/every other day. Drink lots of water. Be careful with fiber such as Metamucil - if you don't drink a lot of water every day, it can actually cause a blockage - landed me in the hospital a few years ago with a complete blockage. Caffeine helps, and walking helps - going up and down stairs a few times will help. Fleet enemas, both water and mineral oil, may be needed, not too often though, only when you really can't go. Make an appointment with an internist/gastroenterologist to see if there is something mechanical going on that can be treated.

I have had IBS-A for 40 years, and also have other bowel issues, so I am always going back and forth trying to find the right combo that will keep me as regular as possible, but it's a real struggle, so I feel for you.

I just found these great videos yesterday, they are really helpful: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHgeHcpwJOlQi5WMddMAQ6WtnI-oYfi5W

Good luck.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Since I started here, the same thing has been happening to me. I probably don't drink enough water, but I do try to have at least 2 bottles a day but I've never been a big water drinker. I have drank more water in the past 3 months than I normally would in a year.

I have narrowed my issues down to the protein drinks I do for lunch and/or stevia. There is stevia as an added sweetener in one of the protein powders I use, so I cut that particular powder this week and this morning...well, let's just say it worked. Now I'm only using a protein powder that doesn't have stevia for the next few days to see what happens. I noticed when I started using stevia extract to make lemonade the same thing was happening. I'll be bummed if it's the protein powder because I really enjoy having a protein smoothie for lunch.

I'm not saying stevia is your issue, OP, but maybe it's a change in your diet that could be causing something?
  • pwponton44
    Options
    Many thanks to all who responded. I have tried several of the suggestions and will try others. The protein example hits close to home so will see about adjustments there. In the end, though, may very have to see a gastroenterologist. Again, thanks.
  • pwponton44
    Options
    @LaceyBirds Many thanks for your response. Really appreciate hearing from someone who has or had experience with the issue. I have an appt. with the gastroenterologist next week. Meanwhile, I am trying some of the suggestions made by others.
  • winnie141
    winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue although I am pretty regular but on the same medication as you! I eat a ton of fibre such as fruit and vegetables during the day but it still poses problems! I have to drink ALOT of water and no substitutes and even more during the summer as metformin can dehydrate you pretty bad. Dehydration is one of the number one reason diabetics end up in the ER in the summer. So when it's hot out start chugging! I also eat bran buds in the morning which is SUPER HIGH in the fibre department. It makes sense when we don't drink water it affects the regularity of using the bathroom! I hope you find relief soon!
  • pwponton44
    Options
    @jburke141 Thanks. I must admit that drinking water is a struggle for me and could do better on that front. Didn't realize the link between Metforim and dehydration so thanks for that. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 6 months ago and really didn't take it seriously until recently told by my aunt that when my mom passed at 53, many years ago, she lost her eye sight due to mismanaged diabetes. Freaked me out as I am 4 years away from that age. That's when I got serious with MFP - about a month ago. Still a lot to know about managing my diabetes. Thanks for the friends connect.
  • cococraze24
    cococraze24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Girlfriend trust me ..get a box of raisin bran And enjoy a NICE bowl of it. Eat it once a day and you'll be straight.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Are you on regular metformin or extended release? ER causes fewer GI side effects in many people. And the regular causes diarrhea as a common side effect.

So either way, it might help to try the other one and see if that does the trick.
  • MellyLester
    MellyLester Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Slippery elm, spiralina or psyllium husks daily will help.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    A dose of Miralax every single morning, and 4-8 ounces of prune juice every/every other day. Drink lots of water. Be careful with fiber such as Metamucil - if you don't drink a lot of water every day, it can actually cause a blockage - landed me in the hospital a few years ago with a complete blockage. Caffeine helps, and walking helps - going up and down stairs a few times will help. Fleet enemas, both water and mineral oil, may be needed, not too often though, only when you really can't go. Make an appointment with an internist/gastroenterologist to see if there is something mechanical going on that can be treated.

I have had IBS-A for 40 years, and also have other bowel issues, so I am always going back and forth trying to find the right combo that will keep me as regular as possible, but it's a real struggle, so I feel for you.

I just found these great videos yesterday, they are really helpful: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHgeHcpwJOlQi5WMddMAQ6WtnI-oYfi5W

Good luck.

I'd go for the doctor and totally bypass continued usage of Miralax unless instructed to do so and being watched over by a medical professional.

I had 8"-10" of my colon removed earlier this year and I am on a high fiber diet to keep things running smoothly. If you're restricting carbs because of the diabetes you could, and more than likely are, cutting down your fiber intake. Most people don't even hit the recommended 25g of fiber as it is. I personally have found that post-op I do much better at 50g of fiber per day, but I can no longer take pysllium husk like I used to to help boost my fiber. Now I take Smarty Pants gummies with fiber, and while they are expensive the 6 gummies offer up 6g of fiber (and other vitamins I was having issues hitting day to day).

Raspberries are one of the best fruits with a really high fiber count. Cheerios are also a good source of fiber at 17g for 42g (1.5 servings) and have become a staple for me.