Just can't get my butt a-movin

Options
2»

Replies

• clouddancer19
    clouddancer19 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My get up and go got up and went a looong time ago. Living with depression, in poverty, working from home in a sedentary job (transcription), coupled with a giant sweet tooth, a big appetite, short stature (I'm 5'2" and the shortest in my family), and a general tendency toward laziness and sedentary hobbies, combined to get me where I am today: Stupidly fat. My husband is on the heavier side, too; in fact we've both gained over the years. Part of his I could credit to actually being hungry and starving for a bit of his childhood. Also, living in a very limited budget means not the greatest of dietary choices if we want to have enough food last until we get paid again. I really have no excuse; my parents modeled good choices and didn't let us have a lot of junk. I just chose to ignore that after I left home.

Right now, I'm starting small. I really don't like exercise at all. But, I can change my diet some. We like fresh veggies more than anything here, so I'm making a point to eat salads more often. And I really don't need a heaping plate of spaghetti, a more normal serving will be fine, and I can have leftovers later. I can stay within my calorie goal. Perhaps once I've lost a fair amount I will be up for exercising, and maybe by then it'll be cool out so I won't start sweating just by stepping outside (me and sunshine don't get along right now anyway, thank you basal cell). I have been successful before, then I stopped, and even gained 10 lb in 2 months recently. I believe a good NSV for me will be when I can sit in normal sized chairs comfortably again. I don't have delusions of being a really skinny woman, I was never skinny, but I don't have to be this fat.

I think I got off track....
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think we'd all love to be peppy about it, but I don't think that's the reality. There are days that I drive to the gym and sit in the parking lot for thirty minutes before I drag myself inside! You're going to have some crappy days. That's just part of it.

I agree that signing up for the gym doesn't count as a baby step. You don't have to go (or work out at all) to lose weight. Just eat less and make choices that get you to your goals. Make small changes that will turn into healthy habits.

Oh yeah... Never ever rely on someone else to give you motivation. Or motivation at all for that matter! Girl, some days you'll have no motivation but you just have to fake it til ya make it!
  • R1rainbows
    R1rainbows Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Best quote I ever heard that helped me find and maintain my motivation: "a year from now you'll wish you started yesterday!!" You have to start somewhere and I understand more than anyone that in the beginning it truly feels pointless and that it will never work. BUT IT DOES work and it just takes some time and dedication! Don't be in a rush or set a deadline for your goal weight, change your lifestyle first, nutrition, calorie deficit goals, exercise! Make those things your new habits first and then the weight loss is like an added bonus! You can do this! *cheers*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So ignore the gym and start eating at a calorie defecit

Weigh and log your foods accurately

Can the excuses...it's about diet and you weigh 300lbs so you should have quite a big calorie allowance

You're fat because you eat too much for your body ...get that under control

As you start to drop weight you can start to move more...just walk ...it doesn't need to be "exercise" but there will come a time you're ready to add that too
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's with all the focus on the exercise responses

Losing weight is 90% the calories you consume

Exercise is for health
  • tschlach
    tschlach Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Talk about lack of energy. I never make New Year's resolutions because I never wanted to break them. This year I did although I waited till Feb to start. I joined the gym and started on the elliptical. 10 mind in I thought I was going to die. I was exhausted. I stopped. The next time 15 mins. I'm now up to a hour. I've list 26 lbs. My husband also kept telling me I was beautiful and was perfect but I didn't feel it. I have 70+ lbs to go but I am not giving up. Get moving and don't worry about what other people think.