Fitness DVD....What works and What doesn't

Options
Hey Everyone,

I am a full time student and full time worker. I live in a fairly small town that only has one gym. WIth my crazy work and school schedule it doesn't really work with me. So here is my question to all of you: What fitness DVD work and What doesn't. I need something that I can do in my apartment living room. I would like something with multiple work outs and options or ones where you can mix and match. I have one that is a 10 min solution Dance your way thin? something like that and it has 6 10 mini workouts to where you can just do one 10 min work out or any combination of the 6. I really like ones like that. But I also want something that is going to give me a good work out!!!! And also honestly I would rather spend 10-15 dollars a month on a new DVD than 40 a month on a gym membership that I will maybe get to use once a week. With the DVDs I can use those everyday!!!!

Thanks in advance for your input
and good luck in all that you do!,

Replies

• kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I also live in a small town with one gym. I do not and cannot justify spending my money and time there.
    I am a real big fan of Jillian Michaels dvds!!!! 30 day shred(20min) Troublezone or banishfatboostmetabolism(40mins) or ripped in 30(24mins).
    good luck in whatever you do.
  • Cosmo_SLRYAN_Girl
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I work at Wal Mart, so I will have to check and see if we carry any of the Jillian Michales DVDs there and if so which ones!! :D
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I am not sure if you have Netflix but they offer workouts so you don't have to buy the DVDs.

Jillian Michaels is good and I have also heard good things about Billy Blanks. I do believe Wal Mart sells DVDs by both people.

If you have a Wii there are some good workout video games. I burn 150 - 200 calories doing a 20 minute class with Zumba Wii.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam! (Can't get them at Walmart, though). If you're really new to working out, Biggest Loser DVDs are a good place to start.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I swear by Tae-bo! The 30 day shred is good, but it's only 20 minutes. So i usually do about a half hour of tae-bo and then the 20 minute 30 day shred. You can burn some major calories and have fun at the same time :)
    I bought my 30 day shred at Wal-mart, you should have it there.

Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Really effective workouts are the ones you really like doing!

I love to mix and match mini-workouts.

Firm Target Toning: Zero in Ten has 5- 10 Minute workouts (all aerotone).
    Amy Dixon Give Me 10 has 5-10 min. (and Give Me 10 More! has 6-10 min.) variety toning / cardio / stretch
    Denise Austin - Get Fit Daily Dozen has 5 - 12 Minute workouts (2 toning, 2 cardio,1 yoga)

Look at collagevideo.com for video clips & reviews
  • victoriaFalcone
    Options
    Try 5 factor fitness by Harley Pasternak.
    It comes with three dvd's in it, each dvd containing 2 workouts. Each video is 25 minutes long. You do one workout per day, they are labeled so you know which ones to do on what day. ( day one, day two...). Each video works a different part of the body. It's really good.
    You could also try P90X, but the videos range from about 40-60 minutes long.
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I just completed 6 week 6 pack. Its a great workout and really works. £6 on Amazon or Play.com and 35 mins long.
  • Cosmo_SLRYAN_Girl
    Options
    Well I do have netflix so I will have to check that out. I don't have a wii but I have an xbox (but no kinnect). The town I live in does have one other place to buy DVD's its just that WalMart is usually cheaper. I know we have a lot of different DVDs and they are usually only 10 bucks!!! I am not new to working out at all, but I might still look into the Biggest Loser DVD. I used to play sports in Middle School, and I was in the Colorguard and Cheerleading in High School. So as a result from past injuries and playing hard, I don't have the best joints in the world! :D Thanks for all the great tips and I will def keep all of your advice in mind!

Best of Luck!
  • AerikaJ
    AerikaJ Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've relied on fitness DVDs for decades. I love Turbo Jam, The FIRM and Cathe Friedrich, who is super tough but excellent. I have so many VHS and DVDs, I accidentally repurchased three Cathes that I already had (to eBay they will go). You can check Cathe out on YouTube and The FIRM on Hulu.com.
  • Summerleahd
    Summerleahd Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian micheals. I just completed ripped in 30 and got awesome results! I love all of her DVDs
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Visit the following website:

http://www.collagevideo.com/main.aspx

If you have On Demand you might be able to try out some routines.
    Also, check your local library.

I like the following:

Cathe ( will need weights and a step)

The Firm ( may need some equipment)

Jillian Michaels ( 30 Day Shred and 6 Week Abs is great)
  • Cosmo_SLRYAN_Girl
    Options
    Hey Thanks everybody! I will def check all of these out!! I know I have a friend at work who is loaning me one of her Jillian Michales DVD...she said its a pretty awesome work out!!!

Best Wishes,
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I have started Insanity about two weeks ago which is a 60 day program. It is expensive but I plan to do the set multiple times and will definitely make my money back!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    Thanks for the information! I work at Wal Mart, so I will have to check and see if we carry any of the Jillian Michales DVDs there and if so which ones!! :D

yup! I bought all mine there and for $10.00 or under each.
    30-day shred
    no more trouble zones
    and burn fat/boost metabolism

the Jackie Warner crunchless Abs is good too (also 10 bucks at Walmart)

I think anything is good if you use it consistently!!