Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Hi!
    I know this is a little odd to ask, but I am just curious. I am 5'3" and I used to weigh 115 lbs. I personally was confident, happy, and thin at that weight. Life took me for a ride and now I weigh 127 lbs. Many people have told me that I look better now, that I have curves again, and my face isn't as narrow and sunkin in.

I feel "okay" at 127 lbs. I would like to get back down to 115 lbs, but if people find me more attractive at this weight, then I would almost rather stay... My clothes still fit, minus a few things, so I am not worried about that aspect of it. In other words, I don't "have to" lose the weight--- its just vanity thing.

Multiple men have paid more attention to me, and I can't figure out if its because of where I am locationally in my life, or because of my body...

I don't want this to sound conceited, just looking for advice.

So, 12 pounds made a difference in how life treated you? That is not a weight issue at all, but more a personal issue that needs to be addressed. For your height, both 115 is underweight, and 127 is not. Weight chart

It's not about whether other people find you attractive at any weight, it's about staying healthy and deciding what weight is right for you within a healthy BMI range.

As for the rest.....LOL.

@SLLRunner - At 5'3 115lbs is within the healthy range.

104.5 (18.5 BMI) to 140.5 (24.9 BMI) is the healthy range for someone who is 5' 3". 115 lbs would give her a BMI of 20.4.

Well, i'm only an inch taller than the OP (@ 5.4" and 128 lbs) and if i was at the lower end of the BMI chart i'd look Skeletal!
    The BMI chart is not a good indicator to what a healthy weight should be, as it doesn't account for frame size, muscle mass or ethnicity (which is a big factor).

She did specifically say that 115 lbs was underweight for 5'3 and to aim for something within the healthy bmi range. I was pointing out that 115 lbs is still within the healthy range.

I won't argue that frame size and body composition will determine what is a good weight for you on the scale. I'm 5'4.5" and I could still lose quite a bit. Do I think I could get down to the lowest? No, but I'm thinking with my frame size I might look okay in the low 120's. However, I know that there are other women out there at my height on the low end of the BMI and look great. There are also women, like @arditarose , that weigh roughly what I do and look 10 x better than me because their frame size/composition is different than mine.

You are correct, I did say that. It is most likely underweight, and I stand by that.

According to the chart you posted, it's not.

Everyone needs to remember that our bodies are all so different. Frame size, muscle mass, fat mass... it's amazing sometimes. I'll see someone post that they weigh much more than me, same height, and yet they wear a much smaller size than me.

To me, the only people who can say what weight should be the goal weight for the OP, is the OP and those that know her in real life (as long as they are not underweight by BMI). OP, I personally put more emphasis on looks and size, than on weight at this point in my journey. I'd rather add muscle mass and lose some fat, than lose weight.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I am also same height as you. I think 120 pound is best for our height.

Don't be daft

There is no correct weight for height ..it depends on frame size, musculature, where you carry weight

The most you can say is you think 120lb is best for you

That's not quite true. No matter how or where you carry your weight there is a certain range that is considered healthy. I would definitely recommend talking to a doctor about it. If you want to be smaller you could compromise and go for 120.

But seriously. Talk to your doctor. Especially since it's a vanity thing you run the risk of caring more about what you see and what the scale says than what's actually healthy.

LOL the poster I was replying to said 120 is a good weight for that height

The BMI range is a totally different discussion altogether, designed to be used on populations only and erroneously applied to individuals...however it has an accuracy for about 70% ...there are 30% outliers that it's irrelevant for although the majority are on the overweight side

I'm pretty sure more MFP posters believe they are outliers than is true though
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I should also mention, which I didn't think to before until someone mentioned being healthy. My period has returned after years of it being crazy. I have had it every month for the last 8 months and it only hit that consistency with my weight between 120-127.

If you lose your period at 115, I definitely wouldn't aim for that, in that case. If you're unhappy with certain areas of your body, you could always try a compound lifting program, but stay at the same weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I know this is a little odd to ask, but I am just curious. I am 5'3" and I used to weigh 115 lbs. I personally was confident, happy, and thin at that weight. Life took me for a ride and now I weigh 127 lbs. Many people have told me that I look better now, that I have curves again, and my face isn't as narrow and sunkin in.

I feel "okay" at 127 lbs. I would like to get back down to 115 lbs, but if people find me more attractive at this weight, then I would almost rather stay... My clothes still fit, minus a few things, so I am not worried about that aspect of it. In other words, I don't "have to" lose the weight--- its just vanity thing.

Multiple men have paid more attention to me, and I can't figure out if its because of where I am locationally in my life, or because of my body...

So, 12 pounds made a difference in how life treated you? That is not a weight issue at all, but more a personal issue that needs to be addressed. For your height, both 115 is underweight, and 127 is not. Weight chart

It's not about whether other people find you attractive at any weight, it's about staying healthy and deciding what weight is right for you within a healthy BMI range.

As for the rest.....LOL.

104.5 (18.5 BMI) to 140.5 (24.9 BMI) is the healthy range for someone who is 5' 3". 115 lbs would give her a BMI of 20.4.

Well, i'm only an inch taller than the OP (@ 5.4" and 128 lbs) and if i was at the lower end of the BMI chart i'd look Skeletal!
    The BMI chart is not a good indicator to what a healthy weight should be, as it doesn't account for frame size, muscle mass or ethnicity (which is a big factor).

She did specifically say that 115 lbs was underweight for 5'3 and to aim for something within the healthy bmi range. I was pointing out that 115 lbs is still within the healthy range.

I won't argue that frame size and body composition will determine what is a good weight for you on the scale. I'm 5'4.5" and I could still lose quite a bit. Do I think I could get down to the lowest? No, but I'm thinking with my frame size I might look okay in the low 120's. However, I know that there are other women out there at my height on the low end of the BMI and look great. There are also women, like @arditarose , that weigh roughly what I do and look 10 x better than me because their frame size/composition is different than mine.

You are correct, I did say that. It is most likely underweight, and I stand by that.

Everyone needs to remember that our bodies are all so different. Frame size, muscle mass, fat mass... it's amazing sometimes. I'll see someone post that they weigh much more than me, same height, and yet they wear a much smaller size than me.

To me, the only people who can say what weight should be the goal weight for the OP, is the OP and those that know her in real life (as long as they are not underweight by BMI). OP, I personally put more emphasis on looks and size, than on weight at this point in my journey. I'd rather add muscle mass and lose some fat, than lose weight.

You are right, I misread that. Thanks for clearing thatnup.

Still, I question a person wanting to be a weight where she looked too skinny.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

You are right, I misread that. Thanks for clearing thatnup.

Still, I question a person wanting to be a weight where she looked too skinny.

I agree with the exception of wanting to bulk after getting skinny. So I guess it depends on her long term goals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not try for the middle ground?
  • bubaluboo
    bubaluboo Posts: 2,098 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people have a problem with OP wanting a BMI of 20. It's not unhealthy. I haven't been as healthy as I am now (BMI 20) for a long time. Looking 'too skinny' is in the eye of the beholder. People are so used to people being overweight that we're told we're too thin when actually we're healthy!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bubaluboo wrote: »
    I don't understand why people have a problem with OP wanting a BMI of 20. It's not unhealthy. I haven't been as healthy as I am now (BMI 20) for a long time. Looking 'too skinny' is in the eye of the beholder. People are so used to people being overweight that we're told we're too thin when actually we're healthy!

We'll it might be because she's unsure, she's been told she looks much better now, she's been told she was sunken and drawn at that weight and she admitted later on that her periods only stabilised around 120lbs

Which all point to the fact that she's fine where she is and maybe needs to learn to love herself a little more
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No, as to your last statement, as it's a generalization.
  • stormyview
    stormyview Posts: 81 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

QFT

There does seem to be some strangely common belief on MFP that the middle to upper range of the "healthy" BMI range is the only reasonable place to aim. There are plenty of people with small frames who look great at the lower end of their healthy BMI ranges. Our society's horrifying norm of being overweight or obese has really skewed people's perceptions of what a healthy weight really looks like, so I'm always skeptical when someone says they were told they look skeletal or too thin. Many of us here heard those things while still at an overweight BMI!

That being said, I'd suggest OP talk to her doctor about the skipped periods. If it was due to her weight being 115, then that would seem too low for her! Weight is not the only reason that skipped periods might stabilize, but that's something she should figure out with her doctor.

Also, 115-127 is a 12 pound range. Is there no middle ground possible for you to try, OP?
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

I see what you're saying....and i think i remember commenting on a post that you and arditarose posted your photo's on and said you both looked good.
    Sometimes it's not about getting to a low weight.... i used to think this too. ("Oh maybe i should lose another 10 lbs then i'll see my Abs"). No. I'd only end up looking like a scrawny twig. Lol
    Most of the time, when you're already at a healthy weight - it's about building muscle to acheive a leaner looking shape.
    With regards to the OP, she has said she had irregular periods at 115lbs, now at 127lbs she's all good.
    So definitely in this instance, 115lbs is too low for her.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Generally, I think everyone should do whatever pleases them, but if what you want is actually unhealthy, then maybe you need to re-think what you want.

115 is not unhealthy at 5'3. My sister has looked good and very healthy at 110 and 5'3, although she's currently more like 115. I think it would be a bit thin for me (also 5'3 but built a bit differently) but who knows. (I'm generally happy at 125 but would ideally drop a few more lbs--or, more to the point, recomp so I have less body fat more muscle, even if I end up heavier, which would be totally fine.)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Are you healthy?

When you look in the mirror do you like what you see?

Can you strutt what you have?

What makes you believe you should be a specific, lower scale weight?

It's up to you ...I know for myself I like my curves, I like having the kind of build that looks fit and would dislike looking "skinny" so it's not something that would worry me ...but that is the conclusion I came to and does not rely on external validation

Anyway, this.

I'd say within a healthy range don't worry about the specific number.
  • SunnyPacheco
    SunnyPacheco Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    OP, it shouldn't be about the number on the scale. Where did you feel most comfortable and most healthy? It seems your body is telling you that the 120-127 range was healthier than 115, but that doesn't mean you couldn't get back down to 115 with a healthier diet if that's what you'd prefer. On the other hand what if you worked more on fitness and building muscle? You might find you like 127 when you start seeing some muscles in the mirror. [=
  • Sheseeksstrength
    Sheseeksstrength Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    stormyview wrote: »

QFT

There does seem to be some strangely common belief on MFP that the middle to upper range of the "healthy" BMI range is the only reasonable place to aim. There are plenty of people with small frames who look great at the lower end of their healthy BMI ranges. Our society's horrifying norm of being overweight or obese has really skewed people's perceptions of what a healthy weight really looks like, so I'm always skeptical when someone says they were told they look skeletal or too thin. Many of us here heard those things while still at an overweight BMI!

That being said, I'd suggest OP talk to her doctor about the skipped periods. If it was due to her weight being 115, then that would seem too low for her! Weight is not the only reason that skipped periods might stabilize, but that's something she should figure out with her doctor.

Also, 115-127 is a 12 pound range. Is there no middle ground possible for you to try, OP?

I think finding a middle ground sounds great. I think I will aim for 120-122 lbs.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with being at the lower end of the healthy BMI range. Just lose until you're at a stage that YOU feel comfortable.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

I am 5'3 and have been 110-116 my entire life and was a very active competitive long distance swimmer. i was never underweight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

I am 5'3 and have been 110-116 my entire life and was a very active competitive long distance swimmer. i was never underweight.

Did you read any subsequent replies? I guess not, because you would have seen where I corrected myself. ;)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Hi!

As for the rest.....LOL.

Did you read any subsequent replies? I guess not, because you would have seen where I corrected myself. ;)

i realized that after haha im sorry.. i typed some of it out then put some pizza in the oven did some dishes then came back and posted it then was like ohh dang!
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At 5'3", your face wouldn't look "sunken" at 115. I would personally believe that people who prefer you at 127 just want to make themselves feel better.

Not one person ever told me I looked too thin at 118 and 5'6". Because I didn't.

THere is also NO WAY, unless she was insanely athletic, that she would be skipping periods due to low fat mass at 115lbs.

Because there are a lot of people here who have been obese much of their lives, there's a prejudice against the entire bottom have of healthy BMI...despite the fact that MOST women at the top of BMI are over-fat and often have poor waist-hip ratios and often poor belly circumferences. Personally, I don't hit all health markers until I'm below 140lbs, and I'm 5'6". I think a lot of people here are frankly uncomfortable with ankle bones and knee bones...and, yes, ribs, which ARE slightly visible, especially near the collarbones, in healthy-weight people.