Chia seeds?

Options

Replies

• stevwil41
    stevwil41 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I like to use them in smoothies (particularly recipes that aren't very think, I let the ingredients set for about 20 minutes before blending) and I've made chia puddings with varying degrees of success (it mostly depends on the other ingredients and flavorings). I also sprinkle them on salads and non-mayo based coleslaws.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm not 100% sure about the choking hazard (in truth I've eaten them pre-soak), but I've seen someone warn before. In theory, I guess if you're eating them plain you could choke. Nix the choking hazard!
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I eat them with out soaking all the time and don't see choking as being a problem. I sprinkle them over my salad. They are great at helping you stay regular. My teen son who is not using them for weight lose, but likes the extra fiber, uses them in pancakes with syrup, in smoothies or anything with a sauce. I think they have a mild nutty taste.
  • txfrankie0823
    txfrankie0823 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    How do u eat or use chia seeds??

Just bought them but have any ideas :/
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    How do u eat or use chia seeds??

Just bought them but have any ideas :/

Read above... There are lots of ideas.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I enjoy chia seeds for their high proportion of soluble fiber. They are high in calories, too, but you don't need that many.

Here's an interesting recipe of my own creation. I would also add equal proportion of yogurt, which turns it neon pink:

http://www.grouprecipes.com/139236/ginger-beets.html

My refrigerator oatmeal has frozen fruit, yogurt, about 1/4 cup oatmeal, and a teaspoon of chia seeds.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in smoothies and refrigerator oatmeal.
  • amykluver
    amykluver Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do them in my overbite oats as well - if you add a tablespoon of the, add 2 T of extra liquid/nut milk.

I've heard (but not tried yet) that you can use chia & water as an egg sub in vegan baking (like a "flax egg") where you soak them a bit to get to a gelatinous consistency.

My fave is to make pudding (which I do a little different than most recipes I've seen). I made a yummy dark chocolate pudding last night:

- 2/3c Silk Vanilla Casherw milk
    - 1 T organic raw cacao powder (unsweetened Dutch cocoa would work too)
    - 1 T organic blue agave nectar
    - 1 1/3.- 2 T chia seeds (depending on how firm you want it)

> Mix the cacao & agave until it's a thick melted chocolate look. Then add it to the milk & blend (I use small jars so I just lid & shake it). Then add your chia & mix again. Before you refrigerate it - be sure to scrape any chia down from the sides back into the liquid. The more chia you use - the firmer it will be so it depends on how thick you want it.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds are your best source of cholesterol lowering ALA among fiber and a host of other micronutrients I toss a tablespoonful into my morning smoothie. They should be soaked in liquid before consuming because they absorb liquid really fast and could be a choking hazard if eaten dry.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    All the ideas here are great. I use them often as a chia seed pudding. I've also added them to overnight oats and smoothies. I've seen them in "nutrition" bars and have used them in "energy balls" that my husband LOVES. I have a friend that even adds them to her water.

I love the texture of chia seed pudding. although it does look a little like salamander/frog eggs. (Which I find entertaining).
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    In my Oatmeal every morning, no recipe needed.
  • Aramat77
    Aramat77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I enjoy chia seeds for their high proportion of soluble fiber. They are high in calories, too, but you don't need that many.

Here's an interesting recipe of my own creation. I would also add equal proportion of yogurt, which turns it neon pink:

My refrigerator oatmeal has frozen fruit, yogurt, about 1/4 cup oatmeal, and a teaspoon of chia seeds.

Can I use coconut milk in the pudding?
  • Aramat77
    Aramat77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

chia seed pudding is great - i blend one banana, about 100ml of milk and a couple of grams of cacao powder, then soak about tbsp of them in the liquid overnight in the fridge, then serve with frozen berries in the morning :)
    if you look on places like pintrest, there's millions of recopies :)

Can I use coconut milk for the pudding?
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I bought my first bag this week because i was impressed with the fiber content, although there is a lot of woo online for people that think they do everything except grow back a limb.

I have thrown them dry over things and find they work well in salads and over veggies, not just in liquid. I will be adding them to my next batch of overnight oats for sure.
  • daisybelle84
    daisybelle84 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I haven't personally tried them but have a friend that adds them to her shakes
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I put them in my yogurt and smoothies. I have also snuck them into dinners like spaghetti. They are so versatile... just toss them into pretty much anything that has enough liquid to soften them up. I can't drink them personally.
  • J383
    J383 Posts: 4,573 Member
    Options
    I have organic chia seeds daily. I use them in my smoothies and yogurt for snack. For example. My snack today was Oikos Triple Zero yogurt, unsweet vanilla almond milk, 1Tbsp Chia seeds, 1Tbsp Real medley granola. I mix it in my portioned container and let it sit in the fridge for 15mins. Delicious and very filling. I have been using them for almost 2 weeks and wont go a day without them. :)
  • cbrook29
    cbrook29 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I put it in my smoothies and mix it with granola and honey for a snack
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Chia Fresca is the traditional way to consume them in Mexico. It is essentially lemon- or limeade with Chia. Very tasty and refreshing.
  • pzyxian
    pzyxian Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do it the following 2 ways:

chia seeds in oatmeal with yogurt soaked overnight in refrigerator
    chia seeds in water