Sugar strike!

Options

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't use sugar or sugar substitutes. I never really had a need to use sugar and about the time I joined MFP I quit soft drinks and sweet tea. I do enjoy fruit daily so if that is counted as "sugar" then I am guilty as charged.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Josieqc wrote: »
    Hi! This is day 2 on my new sugar strike lifestyle. Would anyone be interested in joining me get rid of sugar in their diet once and for all?

No thank you. I enjoy my dairy and my veggies.

I got 52 grams of sugar from fruit and vegetables yesterday and I didn't even have all that much fruit (some cherries and a pluot).

I also had some ice cream, but that was in addition to the 52 grams from the produce. ;-)

Good thing you didn't have a banana!

I see that advertisement all the time. Bananas will surely slit your throat immediately after consumption.

Bk57kdNgNe-14.png
  • Shereewhitney88
    Shereewhitney88 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi! This is day 2 on my new sugar strike lifestyle. Would anyone be interested in joining me get rid of sugar in their diet once and for all?

While I have cut out all sweets like cookies, ice cream and candy (Only because I eat them at excess and can't control myself so if I don't buy it, I can't eat it lol ) I could never do away with my fruit and dairy ... I would lose my s**t. Why are you trying to cut all sugar?
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    OP do what you feel like you need and want to do. There are so many fit people on here who are going to tell you that there is nothing wrong with sugar, either in fruits, starchy food or just "real" sugar. That may be their experience, but it doesn't mean it will be yours. Just realize with the elimination of any food item, specifically one which is so pervasive in the SAD, that you need to stick with it for a few weeks to really see how the elimination affects you. The first few days to week your body is freaking out looking for the food it was used to and not functioning as it will long term. Also, If you feel strongly that sugar is bad for you, or have an autoimmune issue with dictates the removal of it, of course it's sustainable. If it's going to kill you (albeit slowly), of course you will learn to live without it.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

While I have cut out all sweets like cookies, ice cream and candy (Only because I eat them at excess and can't control myself so if I don't buy it, I can't eat it lol ) I could never do away with my fruit and dairy ... I would lose my s**t.

Very sound advice. You are cutting out sweets because you have trouble controlling yourself. I rarely have peanut butter in the house for the same reason. We all have our little vices >:) The trick is to know what works for you and what doesn't, not to eliminate foods you love totally.

• LauraAC12
    LauraAC12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Just wanted to say good luck! Surprised by all the negative comments you have been getting, I would have thought people would be more supportive since they took the time to actually join the thread. Guess some people just have way too much time on their hands. Also odd they would assume you mean you are eliminating 'natural sugars' as well. All sugars ARE NOT created equal. I can eat sources of natural sugars all day....fruits and veggies etc, with no issues, but I am allergic to processed sugar, it basically makes me sick so I am going to slowly start working it out of my diet. I know I will never eliminate it, but at least I can take in less. So, best of luck!

• SharpTeeth
    SharpTeeth Posts: 22 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.

you don't need to avoid sugar to be healthy.

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.

....... in 3, 2, 1
    Haha! I'm new here. I had no idea that was about to happen.

To respond to a little of it, the difference is that sugar which naturally occurs is generally found in food that is also nutrient dense (fruit, dairy, etc.) If I'm not altering my diet in any other way, those little sugars I'm cutting out in non-nutrient dense foods really add up (breakfast cereal is a biggie, for example), which is something myfitnesspal is helping me keep track of. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, and obviously, it's not. I'm no harpy, telling people they can't have their apple pie.

I lost weight paying attention to my starches and portion sizes, in combination with daily exercise. I definitely cut out nearly all sugary snacks and altered the way I cook to suit my new lifestyle. I absolutely cut out as much sugar as I knew how to at the time.

edit: To add, eating consistently no added sugar and paying attention to salt helps to me to feel less guilty when I do indulge on special occasions. As a friend likes to say, "I'll take my sugar in my beer, thanks."
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options

Can you clarify? Are you striking out added sugar or all sugar, including naturally occurring in produce? I'm guessing it's added sugar. if you have a medical reason for this that's fine. If you're just interested in losing weight, all you need is a small deficit of 250 calories per day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    OP...eliminating an ingredient from your diet is much harder to do than you might realize. It is not just a matter of no more sugar...no more sodium...or anything else. Many of these ingredients occur naturally in food.

I have had to reduce my sodium. Sodium is one of those elements that occur naturally in food as does sugar. You can only cut it back so much and still consume other nutrients that you need.

To reduce my sodium I had to give up some foods that I really really like to eat. I had to learn how to get flavor in my food with less sodium. Learn how to buy different ingredients.

It is a commitment to eliminate something from your diet. If it wasn't for health reasons I would think twice about total elimination which is basically impossible. That doesn't mean that you can't take steps to reduce. Set your limits and then work toward reducing to that level.

I went from 2300mg to 1500mg of sodium...it has been work to get it there and even more work to keep it there. At some point I will probably take it down a little further...slowly.

Good luck in reaching your goals.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    LauraAC12 wrote: »

Just wanted to say good luck! Surprised by all the negative comments you have been getting, I would have thought people would be more supportive since they took the time to actually join the thread. Guess some people just have way too much time on their hands. Also odd they would assume you mean you are eliminating 'natural sugars' as well. All sugars ARE NOT created equal. I can eat sources of natural sugars all day....fruits and veggies etc, with no issues, but I am allergic to processed sugar, it basically makes me sick so I am going to slowly start working it out of my diet. I know I will never eliminate it, but at least I can take in less. So, best of luck!

is this a diagnosed allergy or a 'dem feelz' allergy?

sorry but the sugar in an apple = the sugar in a snickers. They are the same.

no one is being negative, we are telling the OP that a "sugar strike" has nothing to do with weight loss or being healthy. It is called accurate dissemination of information.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my best in the past week to cut out added sugars. I just finished reading "A Year of No Sugar" and it really seems to me that if I can avoid added sugars, why not? Health is all about those little changes, after all.

I eat about 70-100 grams of sugar a day and my blood work comes back nearly perfect every year.

I can only do what works for me. I used to be pre-diabetic, so if I can choose a peanut butter without hfcs in it, that's my plan. I'm not talking about foods in which sugars naturally occur (fruits, starches, dairy, etc). I'm talking about choosing foods without sugar in the ingredients.

....... in 3, 2, 1

To respond to a little of it, the difference is that sugar which naturally occurs is generally found in food that is also nutrient dense (fruit, dairy, etc.) If I'm not altering my diet in any other way, those little sugars I'm cutting out in non-nutrient dense foods really add up (breakfast cereal is a biggie, for example), which is something myfitnesspal is helping me keep track of. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, and obviously, it's not. I'm no harpy, telling people they can't have their apple pie.

I lost weight paying attention to my starches and portion sizes, in combination with daily exercise. I definitely cut out nearly all sugary snacks and altered the way I cook to suit my new lifestyle. I absolutely cut out as much sugar as I knew how to at the time.

you can hit micros and eat sugar, the two are not mutually exclusive.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options

Which is fine if you can sustain it. But for most, having a small slice of cake at a party, ice cream cone at a hot outing, or even yogurt won't cause an issue with sugar as long as it's not an excessive amount. The take away here is that one doesn't have to go to the extreme to REDUCE the amount of sugar intake. Just be conscious about total intake per day should be considered.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SharpTeeth
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Which is fine if you can sustain it. But for most, having a small slice of cake at a party, ice cream cone at a hot outing, or even yogurt won't cause an issue with sugar as long as it's not an excessive amount. The take away here is that one doesn't have to go to the extreme to REDUCE the amount of sugar intake. Just be conscious about total intake per day should be considered.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think we're on the same page with that. In a post on the previous page I added that, for me, eating well consistently (which we all our own definition of, of course) helps me feel good about having a sweet something when I do indulge. Naturally occurring sugars in nutrient dense foods (within reason) are still on the menu for me on a daily basis.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

You view it as negative commentary, but the truth is that many people who try to do extreme "cuts" of any food tend to regain the weight and more. It's not uncommon in the dieting world.
    Also, you CAN'T be allergic to processed sugar because believe it or not, the body doesn't recognized the difference. All it does is break sugar down to it's simplest form, regardless of source, to be absorbed. Nothing negative about giving out correct information.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think we're on the same page with that. In a post on the previous page I added that, for me, eating well consistently (which we all our own definition of, of course) helps me feel good about having a sweet something when I do indulge. Naturally occurring sugars in nutrient dense foods (within reason) are still on the menu for me on a daily basis.

I really enjoy going for quality sweets now, and I usually have less just "meh" sweets. And I agree, I can usually enjoy those in smaller portions.

Find what works for you, but keep in mind what you're describing is what a lot of people consider moderation and not a "sugar strike", so while most people are disagreeing with what they thought your post was, they probably would agree with what you're doing.
  • ninerbuff
    edited July 2015
    Options

....... in 3, 2, 1

To respond to a little of it, the difference is that sugar which naturally occurs is generally found in food that is also nutrient dense (fruit, dairy, etc.)
    Sugar is sugar. Nutrients that ACCOMPANY it would be the difference. Sugar cane and beets don't have much nutrient value, but are still "naturally" occurring in sugar.
    If I'm not altering my diet in any other way, those little sugars I'm cutting out in non-nutrient dense foods really add up (breakfast cereal is a biggie, for example), which is something myfitnesspal is helping me keep track of. I'm not saying this is right for everyone, and obviously, it's not. I'm no harpy, telling people they can't have their apple pie.
    Which is fine, but still correct information should be conveyed.

edit: To add, eating consistently no added sugar and paying attention to salt helps to me to feel less guilty when I do indulge on special occasions. As a friend likes to say, "I'll take my sugar in my beer, thanks."
    Sp in other words you went into calorie deficit, which is the equation needed for weight loss. Less sugar meant less calories.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• SharpTeeth
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I really enjoy going for quality sweets now, and I usually have less just "meh" sweets. And I agree, I can usually enjoy those in smaller portions.

Find what works for you, but keep in mind what you're describing is what a lot of people consider moderation and not a "sugar strike", so while most people are disagreeing with what they thought your post was, they probably would agree with what you're doing.
    I suppose I'm learning about the community, haha. I did say "added sugars" in my original post?

I also find myself needing less of a sweet when I do have one. What sort of "quality sweet" are we talking? I can't say no to a good piece of coconut cake, myself.

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Negative comments =/= stating facts. Support comes in the form of giving information that OP can use rather than telling them "you're making the right choice" all of the time.

Good luck convincing your body that the sugars you're getting from fruits and veggies is different from sugar you're getting in ice cream and Reese's cups. I'm glad my body treats them both the same.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    SharpTeeth wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I suppose I'm learning about the community, haha. I did say "added sugars" in my original post?

I also find myself needing less of a sweet when I do have one. What sort of "quality sweet" are we talking? I can't say no to a good piece of coconut cake, myself.

I love a serving of good gelato or well made ice cream, or a square or two of good chocolate. When I first saw what an actual serving of ice cream/gelato looked like it seemed so small. Now I splurge on good quality and savor the complex flavors. Mmm...