Exercising in a second story apartment

Replies

• AwesomeSauceTN
    AwesomeSauceTN Posts: 27 Member
    I'm all about the hula hoop. Its slightly weighted (maybe 1-1/2 lbs) and so its easier to keep up than the hoops we played with back when we were kids. I hooped all winter inside my apartment. You burn between 400-1,000 calories doing "hoop dance". In case you've never heard of it --here is a video of my favorite dancer, Rachael Lust. www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGuvNtS5kb8
    There's a ton of You Tube videos to teach you how. Best part? Its super fun. Neighbors might complain when they hear you giggle (: Good luck!
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Leslie Sansone's walking videos are good. You can find them free on You Tube.
  • kayla_who
    kayla_who Posts: 540 Member
    Anything that involves jumping up and down will not be considered reasonable use of your apartment. That is not a normal use. Eat, sleep, store your clothes--yes. Use the space as an exercise studio--no.

Other people may need to sleep during the day, work from home, etc. You may have neighbors who are elderly or ill. It's not OK for the OP to disrupt the lives of strangers.

Planet Fitness=$10/month.

Well, if that's the case then people with kids who live in upper level apartments are SOL - because there's no stopping them from running, screaming, or jumping up and down in the middle of the day.

That's why I suggested talking to the people below first.

And yes, $10/month for a gym membership (in a not-so-great gym) is still "expensive" to some people.

I love you for this!

I have a 5 year old and my neighbors complained about her playing. If you want absolute silence, don't live in a fricking 1st story apartment. I hear my neighbors above me all day and all night, but it doesn't bother me. If it did I wouldn't live here.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Hula hooping is about the only thing I can think of that you can do in silence.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Anything that involves jumping up and down will not be considered reasonable use of your apartment. That is not a normal use. Eat, sleep, store your clothes--yes. Use the space as an exercise studio--no.

Other people may need to sleep during the day, work from home, etc. You may have neighbors who are elderly or ill. It's not OK for the OP to disrupt the lives of strangers.

Planet Fitness=$10/month.

the other side of that is one should understand that living in an apartment, in an urban environment, necessarily involves proximity to others and tolerating what comes with that proximity to some degree (sounds, smells, whatever).

OP seriously get some heavy carpeting or some mats (like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/TG-EVA-Foam-Exercise-Mat/23518559 ) to minimize disruption to your neighbours, and if you're going to do any kind of jumping - which I think is mostly and usually bad idea for joints, but that's neitiher here nor there; there's heavy plyo and then there's jumping jacks - jump LOW (just an inch or two off the ground) and land SOFT (better for you anyway)

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Talk to your neighbors and see if you all can't work out some kind of schedule that allows you to exercise without upsetting them too much.

If they can't (or won't) work with you, then screw them. If they don't want to hear activity above them, let them find a place to live where there won't be any.

It would be crazy for you to refrain from exercising because your neighbors didn't want you to do it.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Talk to your neighbors and see if you all can't work out some kind of schedule that allows you to exercise without upsetting them too much.

If they can't (or won't) work with you, then screw them. If they don't want to hear activity above them, let them find a place to live where there won't be any.

It would be crazy for you to refrain from exercising because your neighbors didn't want you to do it.

Exactly. Some people need a reality check.
  • KrisiAnnH
    KrisiAnnH Posts: 352 Member
    I'm in the same situation as you, I don't have fussy neighbours (yet) but I live in a second story flat, and I'm always conscious of noise. We have wooden floors too so its pretty noisy if I jump/drop anything. As other people have said fussy neighbours can be a pain and I don't understand the issue myself, but sometimes it's easier just to be considerate, as you are being, for an easier life :)

I use Fitnessblender myself, they have a lot of 'no jump' workouts, and any exercises that involve floor/mat exercises reduce possible noise :)This and this are two of my favourites with minimal noise :)

Apart from that I do my workouts barefoot (so that shoes don't make unnecessary noise) and an exercise mat as extra noise insulation :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    If it is during the daytime hours, it is fine. No one is expected to be silent 24/7. I live above my landlord and I just asked her if there were hours she preferred. Go for it. There is nothing even remotely inappropriate about it.

I too live above my landlord (and his fiancee.) We agreed on quiet hours from 11 PM - 7 AM. Sometimes he complains that me going down the stairs woke him up from daytime naps, and I remind him that I am happy to use the back stairs if he would just let me know when he is napping.

@kayla_who - if you want a vigorous yoga work out, look for something that says Power Yoga, Vinyasa, Ashtanga, or Jiva Mukti. Rodney Yee is a good instructor.
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    you can do Yoga or body weight exercises, push ups, planks, squats, lunges etc
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    I live on the third floor, and honestly do some days feel bad for doing my HIIT videos in which jumping lunges and such are required. But then I figured that as long as it was during the day, and I didn't do it for huge periods of time, they'd learn to recognize that it would be a minor annoyance and then go away. I've never had a complaint, and I've been living there over a year with different tenants below me. Now that it's summer though, I do go out and run outside more than doing my videos. I also do my workouts on a carpeted floor to cut down on the noise. And try to land softly. But don't stop working out just because your neighbors don't understand. They can't make you stop. You deserve to generate just as much noise as they can on their first floor apartment, guilt free.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Has anybody recommended running the stairs to your apartment? If you're on the second story and have neighbors above you (which you mentioned) then there are three sure flights of stairs you could run. It might get boring every day but maybe 2-3x a week. Of course you should probably add in some bodyweight resistance exercises to supplement but your legs will definitely get a workout running steps.
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    When I was living in an apartment I used fitnessblender in the early morning hours to not bother my neighbors, they have low impact and quiet cardio workouts and even ones that don't have jumping. I love their youtube channel, check it out. Tons of different routines and levels.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I'd be afraid to live downstairs from a hoarder for fear the ceiling would collapse in on me from the weight of their stuff! I should think a low impact workout during normal daylight hours would be considered normal, at least according to the management.
  • Laurenjenai
    But also, most apartments have designated quiet times like 11 am to 7am and your neighbors just have to understand that noise like that cones along with apartment living.
  • Laurenjenai
    But also, most apartments have designated quiet times like 11 am to 7am and your neighbors just have to understand that noise like that cones along with apartment living.

sorry I meant 12 am to 7 am.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 651 Member

sorry I meant 12 am to 7 am.

I'm jealous. I have to kowtow to a 7pm-7am schedule.

I'm counting the days when I can get my new place and can ditch this apartment life for good, and I can work out whenever the heck I want.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Pfttt...I would just exercise and they can just move!