Diet is being challenged.. what to do?

I am over one week in on my diet and haven't had any junk food, or anything fattening, or soda. However, today is my nieces birthday party and the only foods available to me today are doritos, cheese, & roast beef/ham sandwiches. No wheat bread available. I have stayed under 1,500 calories for over a week and now i have no way to count the calories in what i am eating.. don't know what to do because i feel like i will get discouraged after i eat.. like i failed. I already feel guilty. What do i do?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Eat a reasonable amount of what's available and move on.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Eat a reasonable amount of what's available and move on.

2nd
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    It's all about caloric deficit, NOT, giving up foods. Also, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "no wheat bread" reference.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    If the bread is something nasty like Wonderbread, take out the meat and the cheese and just eat that. Then roll the bread slices into little nuggets and fire them at people. If it's nice crusty bread, eat half a sandwich.

You could also bring your own food.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    Agree with the above! It's all about portion and control! You can have a bit of what's there, but don't go overboard. ALSO, don't let this be the open gate to falling back in after you've done such a great job! You can do this! Just remember... small portions of what's at the party and then move on and back to what you've been doing for over a week now. You got this!
  • Kaelan1995
    Kaelan1995 Posts: 20 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    It's all about caloric deficit, NOT, giving up foods. Also, I'm sorry but I don't understand the "no wheat bread" reference.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Someone told me to NEVER eat plain white bread.. it would cause you to gain weight like crazy. So i have been eating whole grain, wheat bread.. (the brown kind) because it hasn't been bleached.

• blleberk
    blleberk Posts: 1 Member
    I would stay away from the chips & soda. Also don't go over board. I love food & would say I'm addicted to food. What really stinks is its all round me all the time. I HAVE to tell myself often "pick smarter options & don't go crazy with the bad stuff". If I don't allow myself to have something "bad" every once in awhile I over do it & feel mad at myself. I think that you being aware that those choices are not great & you want to better you are on the right road!
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Kaelan1995 wrote: »

Sorry, should have been more specific. Someone told me to NEVER eat plain white bread.. it would cause you to gain weight like crazy. So i have been eating whole grain, wheat bread.. (the brown kind) because it hasn't been bleached.

Granted, bread can hide a lot of calories (200 - 250 for two slices), so cutting it out can leave you with more room, but... yikes. I can think of other reasons to eat whole wheat/whole grain bread, but white bread is not going to cause you to gain weight unless you're shoveling it down your throat (i.e. eating over maintenance).

I second cutting it out for this one meal though - and enjoying the fillings. Maybe fit in a sweet treat, if you have some calories left over.
  • Kaelan1995
    Kaelan1995 Posts: 20 Member
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    If the bread is something nasty like Wonderbread, take out the meat and the cheese and just eat that. Then roll the bread slices into little nuggets and fire them at people. If it's nice crusty bread, eat half a sandwich.

Lol, your comment made me laugh. I was told to only eat whole grain bread, not the bleached kind.. and that's the only thing available. I'm already at my brothers house, i wish i would have thought to bring my own food.
  • TheChangeIsNow
    TheChangeIsNow Posts: 48 Member
    Also, if you think this will totally derail you from all of your hard work, either eat before or bring something with you. It's all about what you think will help you best (mentally). Let us know how it goes! Drink a lot of water while you there as well. Will help curb your appetite.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Could you just eat something beforehand? Or just have a sandwich.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Are you going to spend the rest of your life being anxious about social eating or never eating a Dorito, a serving of cheese or a sandwich ever again?

You are eating at a massive (too big?) deficit, and have been doing so all week, there is no reason that enjoying yourself at the party and eating a reasonable amount is going to effect anything in the long-term.

Drop the guilt, drop the associated negative emotions in regards to food and view all food stuff as the number of calories and macronutrients they contain and how you can fit them in to your allocated allowance.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Don't eat the rolls, just the meat and cheese inside. Have a few doritos if a few won't cause you to eat too many. Drink water or diet soda. Have a small piece of cake.

And just fyi, white bleached bread *is* wheat unless it says it isn't, like for gluten-free bread. :)
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    OK, take a look at the food available. Doritos? Find out what an actual serving size is and log and eat that. Too much bread of any kind will make you gain weight. again, find out serving size (2 slices) log it and eat along with the meat of your choice. It is all about taking control, not depriving yourself. If they have a fruit salad or other lower cal food, fill your plate with a serving size (maybe 1 cup). Again log and enjoy. You can do this.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member

Bleh! Eating too much of anything causes weight gain, not a specific thing. Get it out of your head that there are bad foods. As for the bread, personally, I like the Sara Lee 45 calories a slice.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited July 2015

This^

I try to eat better....most of the time. I don't try to eat perfectly. No one has to eat perfectly to lose weight.

Take charge and "manage" your demons while trying to lose weight. I won't be soda free, or junk food free forever. Logging that piece of cake (take your best guess).....take a few Doritios (log those too). This shows you the "cost" of those foods.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited July 2015
    sofaking6 wrote: »

Lol, your comment made me laugh. I was told to only eat whole grain bread, not the bleached kind.. and that's the only thing available. I'm already at my brothers house, i wish i would have thought to bring my own food.

All you need to worry about are the calories. No food is 100% off limits unless you have a deathly allergy to it. It might not be the most nutritious thing, but white bread has no magic fattening powers. And if you think you ate too much, take a long walk later, or have a little less tomorrow, or just shrug it off and move on. Just don't beat yourself up, and don't quit no matter what.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Just eat reasonably and do the best that you can.

In the future, eat before/after or take your own meal/snack.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member

Nope, weight loss is... math. Nutritionally the wheat is probably better, but may or may not be lower calorie and better for weight loss.

White bread will not make you "gain weight like crazy".
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    edited July 2015
    Nobody is going to shove Doritos down your throat. If you want to eat them, do it. If you don't, don't.

This is going to come up time and again, so you have to figure out what you want to do and then find some way to do it.

If it's a short party, you don't have to eat while there. If it's one of those all-day, family kind of things, you can bring a sandwich.

Don't eat junk food and say there was no other choice. If you eat it, do it because that's what you want to do.