Gaining muscle weight, but not losing fat???

Options

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    Options
    All valid points. Maybe i should clarify a bit more. I do keep track of what i eat, but i wanted to gain more muscle while i was trying to burn the fat. My BMI last time i checked was 32% and can be seen mostly in the mid section. I know that cardio would help alot since i use to play alot of basketball, but now that im trying to gain the muscle while leaning out what can be suggested to achieve that goal. Also if i did happen to increase my cardio, should i increase my protein intake while decreasing calorie intake?

Establish your goals, and then eat and train to attain them. It sounds like you want to recomp-that is done at maintenance calories. You can gain a little muscle and lose a little fat and it's a long process.

If you are lean enough, you can bulk and gain muscle mass by eating at a surplus. You'll also gain fat. If you're gaining, this is what you are doing-assuming you are training properly.
  • dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    At 32% you have a lot of "leaning out" to do. Why not focus on that first? Keep the deficit moderate and stay active...

Are you looking to specifically make visually bigger muscles, or is the goal to get stronger?

i do want to get the "look", bigger muscles. I know that one or the other has to be implemented. But i want to lose the "weight" while not losing the muscle mass.

• arditarose
    Options
    At 32% you have a lot of "leaning out" to do. Why not focus on that first? Keep the deficit moderate and stay active...

Are you looking to specifically make visually bigger muscles, or is the goal to get stronger?

i do want to get the "look", bigger muscles. I know that one or the other has to be implemented. But i want to lose the "weight" while not losing the muscle mass.

Now you are making more sense. So you need to keep lifting heavy to save muscle, and eat at a deficit to lose the fat.

How long have you been tracking calories?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You'll need to eat at a deficit and lift to maintain the muscle mass. Once you're weight is down, you can focus on building muscle mass.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Well that's different than what you said to start with, and makes a whole lot more sense.

Moderate deficit + solid exercise regimen will limit the amount of lean body mass you're going to lose. There's no way to not lose any, the best you can hope for is to hit your genetic maximum LBM retention.

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • arditarose
    Options
    Come...join the deficit club.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Now you are making more sense. So you need to keep lifting heavy to save muscle, and eat at a deficit to lose the fat.

How long have you been tracking calories?

On and off for a year now, but being more strict a little over a month now.
  • dfavela1988
    Options

Well that's different than what you said to start with, and makes a whole lot more sense.

Moderate deficit + solid exercise regimen will limit the amount of lean body mass you're going to lose. There's no way to not lose any, the best you can hope for is to hit your genetic maximum LBM retention.

Good luck!

Yea my target calorie intake is roughly 3200 and lately have been 200-300 under the goal.
  • arditarose
    Options

Good luck!

Yea my target calorie intake is roughly 3200 and lately have been 200-300 under the goal.

Do you feel like opening your diary?

What are your stats?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Good luck!

That's a pretty high number. Are you sure you're in a deficit?
  • dfavela1988
    Options

Good luck!

I hope so. I use to do a 1700 calorie intake and roughly 400 deficit and no real results on that either.
  • dfavela1988
    Options

Good luck!

What are your stats?

Sorry very new to the app, how does the diary work?
  • arditarose
    Options

Good luck!

I hope so. I use to do a 1700 calorie intake and roughly 400 deficit and no real results on that either.

We have to start at the beginning. 1700 WITH a 400 calorie deficit, or 1700 BEING a 400 calorie deficit. Neither sounds right. Your maintenance calories are not 2100.

You gotta either enter yours stats into MFP, and log and weigh all your food to get into a deficit. Or use a TDEE calculator and subtract 15% (or whatever you chose), to get your deficit.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Based on calories you must be 6'5".
  • arditarose
    Options

Good luck!

What are your stats?

So you haven't been logging in the diary? Or you don't know how to open it to the public?
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Good luck!

There is no way you wouldn't lose weight on 1700. IMO you should open your diary for a second opinion.

• dfavela1988
    Options
    loulamb7 wrote: »
    How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Based on calories you must be 6'5".

Im 6'4 and 264 as of this morning.
  • dfavela1988
    Options

Good luck!

What are your stats?

So you haven't been logging in the diary? Or you don't know how to open it to the public?
    I think not to the public, its hard to log in lifting stats on here to be really accurate besides the cardio stats.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

Good luck!

What are your stats?

I think not to the public, its hard to log in lifting stats on here to be really accurate besides the cardio stats.

Lifting doesn't burn much. Most of the time, tracking problems end up being on the food intake side.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    ok should be open to the public.