Gaining muscle weight, but not losing fat???

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    At 32% you have a lot of "leaning out" to do. Why not focus on that first? Keep the deficit moderate and stay active...

Are you looking to specifically make visually bigger muscles, or is the goal to get stronger?

i do want to get the "look", bigger muscles. I know that one or the other has to be implemented. But i want to lose the "weight" while not losing the muscle mass.

Well that's different than what you said to start with, and makes a whole lot more sense.

Moderate deficit + solid exercise regimen will limit the amount of lean body mass you're going to lose. There's no way to not lose any, the best you can hope for is to hit your genetic maximum LBM retention.

Good luck!

:drinker:

Yea my target calorie intake is roughly 3200 and lately have been 200-300 under the goal.

That's a pretty high number. Are you sure you're in a deficit?

This and a couple of days this week you are up to 4000 calories.

Plus I am wondering about some of the logging. For example, Eurest mashed potatos, .5 cup is a pretty generic entry. If you are making them, log by weight and how much butter and milk you add. I know mine come out to higher than that entry.

Do you weight food? Use measuring cups? Do you create your own recipes (there were a few "recipe" type foods)?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I went back a few days....you averaged 3500 calories/day. That's really high for weight loss. And there are many entries that don't look weighed, so the number may well be higher than that. How did you calculate your target?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    High target and generic entries.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    All valid points. Maybe i should clarify a bit more. I do keep track of what i eat, but i wanted to gain more muscle while i was trying to burn the fat. My BMI last time i checked was 32% and can be seen mostly in the mid section. I know that cardio would help alot since i use to play alot of basketball, but now that im trying to gain the muscle while leaning out what can be suggested to achieve that goal. Also if i did happen to increase my cardio, should i increase my protein intake while decreasing calorie intake?

A year ago, my husband weighed 262, had a 40inch waist, 42 chest. He started lifting heavy, but didn't lose any weight until he finally joined me on mfp six months ago. He eats a 200-300 calorie deficit most days now and on Saturday, weighed 233, had a 36inch waist and 43 chest. Seriously, all he does is skip the fries or eat one less taco at dinner. He has traded out a huge lunch for a slightly smaller one to add a protein shake daily. He has much better muscle definition and is much stronger than a year ago, if that's what you want to do, that's how to do it. Hope this helps...
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Hey OP - I have to say - most threads that start off like this one did dissolve into a puddle of tears and lots of yelling and name calling before the end of page 2.

Kudos to you for sticking with us and our questions for this long...!

• dfavela1988
    dfavela1988 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    At 32% you have a lot of "leaning out" to do. Why not focus on that first? Keep the deficit moderate and stay active...

Are you looking to specifically make visually bigger muscles, or is the goal to get stronger?

i do want to get the "look", bigger muscles. I know that one or the other has to be implemented. But i want to lose the "weight" while not losing the muscle mass.

Well that's different than what you said to start with, and makes a whole lot more sense.

Moderate deficit + solid exercise regimen will limit the amount of lean body mass you're going to lose. There's no way to not lose any, the best you can hope for is to hit your genetic maximum LBM retention.

Good luck!

Yea my target calorie intake is roughly 3200 and lately have been 200-300 under the goal.

That's a pretty high number. Are you sure you're in a deficit?

This and a couple of days this week you are up to 4000 calories.

Plus I am wondering about some of the logging. For example, Eurest mashed potatos, .5 cup is a pretty generic entry. If you are making them, log by weight and how much butter and milk you add. I know mine come out to higher than that entry.

Do you weight food? Use measuring cups? Do you create your own recipes (there were a few "recipe" type foods)?
    that is something that i log on the run sometimes and sometimes go on the high end most of the time.

• dfavela1988
    Options
    I went back a few days....you averaged 3500 calories/day. That's really high for weight loss. And there are many entries that don't look weighed, so the number may well be higher than that. How did you calculate your target?
    Ok i need work on this lol. what should be a good target?
  • arditarose
    Options
    All valid points. Maybe i should clarify a bit more. I do keep track of what i eat, but i wanted to gain more muscle while i was trying to burn the fat. My BMI last time i checked was 32% and can be seen mostly in the mid section. I know that cardio would help alot since i use to play alot of basketball, but now that im trying to gain the muscle while leaning out what can be suggested to achieve that goal. Also if i did happen to increase my cardio, should i increase my protein intake while decreasing calorie intake?

A year ago, my husband weighed 262, had a 40inch waist, 42 chest. He started lifting heavy, but didn't lose any weight until he finally joined me on mfp six months ago. He eats a 200-300 calorie deficit most days now and on Saturday, weighed 233, had a 36inch waist and 43 chest. Seriously, all he does is skip the fries or eat one less taco at dinner. He has traded out a huge lunch for a slightly smaller one to add a protein shake daily. if that's what you want to do, that's how to do it. Hope this helps...

That is pretty generic advice. But yes, OP must create and be in a deficit.
  • arditarose
    Options

I'm confused...did you not enter your stats into MFP and set it to lose "x" amount of pounds per week? Your target depends on your height, weight, and activity level. We can't just make up a number for you but we can help you get there if you provide your stats.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

You could try something like...2400. That should give you a solid deficit, while still allowing for lots of food. Stick to it for 3-4 weeks, then adjust based on how quickly/slowly the weight is coming off.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    Go through your MFP settings. Insert your activity level without any consideration to exercise. Log exercise and eat back (a percentage of your) calories from exercise.

Or go and check out your TDEE on Scooby's accurate calorie calculator. And eat at a 20% or so deficit from that.

One method I enjoy using TO START, is to check and see what my caloric needs would be at the lightly active and active settings at my goal weight. That would be 1-3 hours and 5-6 hours of exercise on Scooby's.

Then eat somewhere between the two, probably starting and the higher and going down to the lower value as time goes on... till I have no weight loss for 8+ weeks.

At that point I would re-evaluate whether I am where I want to be or whether I should increase exercise or decrease food or what have you.

I also suggest you employ technology to cut through the most common problem people face: water weight variations that mask actual weight changes.

record your weight using a program such as www.weightgrapher.com www.trendweight.com or happy scale on the iphone. Look at your trend line as opposed to your daily weight number.

Pretty picture demonstrating how discouraging a month with a 5lb loss can look while you're in it... is available for the asking... and already posted in other threads today!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    You could try something like...2400. That should give you a solid deficit, while still allowing for lots of food. Stick to it for 3-4 weeks, then adjust based on how quickly/slowly the weight is coming off.

To a high degree of probability, if you do the goal weight thing I said you will end up with a figure very close to the 2400 @Mr_Knight suggests... depends on how much effort you want to put into this up front because you will be adjusting down the road anyway.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

A year ago, my husband weighed 262, had a 40inch waist, 42 chest. He started lifting heavy, but didn't lose any weight until he finally joined me on mfp six months ago. He eats a 200-300 calorie deficit most days now and on Saturday, weighed 233, had a 36inch waist and 43 chest. Seriously, all he does is skip the fries or eat one less taco at dinner. He has traded out a huge lunch for a slightly smaller one to add a protein shake daily. if that's what you want to do, that's how to do it. Hope this helps...

That is pretty generic advice. But yes, OP must create and be in a deficit.

It was a pretty generic question. ;-) A small deficit with high protein content lets you add muscle while losing weight, which my husband has found to be easier than bulk/cut cycles he did when we were in our twenties. We are in our 40's now. He lifts heavy 3-4 days/week and his cardio is mostly walking the dog. My answer was based on what I have watched someone I live with do. I lost my 40 pounds and then started lifting to recoup while eating at maintenance most days. I'm seeing more definition, but still have a way to go to my goals of benching, squatting and deadlifting my own weight.
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    Hey OP - I have to say - most threads that start off like this one did dissolve into a puddle of tears and lots of yelling and name calling before the end of page 2.

Kudos to you for sticking with us and our questions for this long...!

Not a problem im on here to make sure i do this right. No need to have negative feedback i just want to reach my goals with your guys help.
  • MissConsistency
    MissConsistency Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any cardio at all?
  • dfavela1988
    Options

so eat about 2400 calories?
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yep. And keep working out, increasing the load as you get fitter.

You'll have to re-evaluate every few weeks, based on progress - but that's true for everyone.

Good luck!

• dfavela1988
    Options

Yep. And keep working out, increasing the load as you get fitter.

You'll have to re-evaluate every few weeks, based on progress - but that's true for everyone.

Good luck!

Thanks man i appreciate it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. 3200 sounds like you're bulking Are you certain you're logging accurately?
  • dfavela1988
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. 3200 sounds like you're bulking Are you certain you're logging accurately?

Not 100% accurate but trying. I was going based off the MFP profile that i did. I will try and see if the results start to show. Shooting for 2400 and go from there.