What to ask a nutritionist?

Options
2»

Replies

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    AmieAP wrote: »
    I don't care where she got her credentials from. I just don't want to waste my hour asking dumb questions. What would you guys ask about nutrition and health?

You should care about the credentialing of a person offering health-related advice. It's a key question for any first-appointment with a health care professional.
  • AmieAP
    AmieAP Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Fellow frugal Edmontonian, I take it. ;)

close - aLIX, AB
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what Alix was famous for...
    alixgator.jpg
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Question 1: Where did you get your certifications from and what credentials do you hold?

Damn, you beat me to it!
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Besides your diary, list any medical conditions you may have (bloodwork type stuff as well), and medications that you may be taking (if any). Talk about where you are at (difficulties in your food choices, cravings, etc.), and where you want to get to (your ultimate goal in weight loss).

This would be the same thing I would bring to a physician if he specialized in weight loss. Since it is nutrition based, I would still think it is important for them to see a big picture of where you want to go and where you want to avoid. Good luck!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    AmieAP wrote: »
    I don't care where she got her credentials from. I just don't want to waste my hour asking dumb questions. What would you guys ask about nutrition and health?

You should

A "nutritionist" isn't a recognized credential with any sort of standardized qualifications whatsoever. It could be that they took some kooky online quiz, and printed out a certificate saying they're now a "nutritionist".

At least here in the US, the credential you want to look for is "Registered Dietician". Since you said U of Alberta, I assume you're in Canada, and don't know what the equivalent credential is up north, but surely they have one.

It's also pretty common that many trainers know jack squat about nutrition issues, hence the additional care I'd give in verifying her credentials. Many get 'certified' by some MLM company and will try to hock overpriced crap on their clients.

In fairness, it's quite possible she knows her stuff, and will be very good too. But I'd verify before taking any advice or asking anything further.

Nutritionist is a recognised professional in the UK:
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/find-a-registered-dietitian-or-nutritionist.aspx?CategoryID=51&SubCategoryID=168

But agree with checking credentials.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    My dietitian checks thyroid, blood sugar, cholesterol, vitamin D, B-vitamin, and iron. You could ask your family doctor to run a panel of tests and share that with your fitness instructor/nutritionist.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    @AmieAP Did you go? How was it? I'm just curious. Sometimes you learn something new; sometimes it's same-old, same-old
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    The most important things I learned from mine was which foods were good for providing lots of nutrients with few calories, while still tasting good. Sometimes they will bring up things you just haven't thought of. Especially nutrients you tend to be low on, like maybe iron or vitamin D.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    I was wondering what Alix was famous for...
    alixgator.jpg

Oh my! Its weird seeing something I see everyday here on MFP!
  • AmieAP
    Options
    Well I went and it was great. thanks for all the input. She was very knowledgeable and didn't try to sell me anything. In fact, she will give me two more free fitness tests to see my progress. one in 60 days and one more in 3 months. So I'm happy with that. I am a 1/40 on her fitness test but that just means there is only one way to go = UP!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    So happy to hear it went well! I tell you, the first day I held a plank, was a great day. Start with where you are, be kind to yourself, let those muscles burn once in a while, and sooner than you imagine, you will be stronger.
  • AmieAP
    Options
    So happy to hear it went well! I tell you, the first day I held a plank, was a great day. Start with where you are, be kind to yourself, let those muscles burn once in a while, and sooner than you imagine, you will be stronger.
    Thanks! Another thing she said that really hit home with me was that your last five minutes or last five reps should be hell. YOu should hate hate hate doing them. If you do, then you've had a workout. If not, keep going.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I now associate the muscle burn with progress; just_a_few_more_reps.....

Joint pain, however, means stop. It really helps when you learn to spot the difference.