Fears about the journey

Options
I wonder if some of you might share with me that inner dialogue of fears you have felt along this journey? What worried you? Were these things realised and conquered? Were they unnecessary and if so, how did you come to know that & work passed it? Do any still linger? If so, how do you handle them?

I fear the nastiness I've had from family when I have lost weight in the past. Particularly one person who I have a complex relationship with. She has never thought anything of making snide remarks which from anyone else would mean nothing, but from her cut me deep.

I fear loose skin.

I worry about learning to love and accept a better version of myself. As a result, I worry about the weight coming back.

I worry that I'm obsessive and it will get out of control.

Yes, I'm a stresser.

Replies

• crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I'm worried that I'll become attractive.

Therapy helps though :smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Biggest fear from most that I sense, but never hear is fear of success. Lots of people get so close, then bomb because subconsciously if they get to goal, they are now EXPECTED to keep it there. And just one bad day have many falling back and quitting or succumbing to the adage of "it's just too much to do" and revert to weight regain.
    Fear is natural. So are people who will opine on what they think you should be doing. Realize they do it because of their own concerns and really not yours. You'll ALWAYS fight opposition regardless if you get there or not. That's just life.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I worried for the longest time about my family's support, or lack thereof. It doesn't matter what I'm trying, I'm doing it wrong. I finally took a good, long, hard look at the relationships and decided that I don't benefit anything by letting them get to me, and realized the only way their opinions are going to stop is if I stop telling them my goals. It's been hard, as the support I thought I would have is non existent, but I've found it elsewhere. Sometimes in places I didn't expect. You have to do you. Don't tell them your goals. Don't tell them what you're doing. And when they ask, just say something vague like "Oh, I'm just moving more and eating less, you know". And change the subject. Leave the room if they won't let up on it. I've been told I've become a bit of a *kitten*, but I'm getting to be a skinnier *kitten*!!

Sorry, that was kind of a rant.

And I still fear the loose skin. :D
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Biggest fear from most that I sense, but never hear is fear of success.

This...but not because of the expectation of keeping it off.

I fear the loss of being able to hide behind that wall of fat...it will take away one of my biggest excuses to not try other things.

I have often sabotaged myself as if I am afraid of success. Last year I lost 80lbs...only between 15-20 left to lose. I threw in the towel and gained more than half of it back. Here I am again...trying to not only lose again but to finish this time. I have had to come back with a different mind set. This time it is not as much about losing the weight as it is about reaching that goal.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The one thing you don't seem to fear is staying fat.

Until that fear is larger than the other fears, it's probably going to be a rough slog for you.

Good luck! :drinker:
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Not so much fear, but embracing change permanently

It is a life long lifestyle change!

But you can do it

You can embrace the new you and love yourself!

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Until that fear is larger than the other fears, it's probably going to be a rough slog for you.

Bold for importance

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    fear of calling it a journey on the forums. seriously, people go nuts over that word. oh and also, being able to keep it off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Therapy helps though :smile:

This.

Basically, fear of getting more attention used to be an issue I struggled with, as well as simply fear of losing my excuse for being unhappy, for not doing various things. A bigger issue was trying and failing, since to try I'd have to admit to myself (and maybe others, if they noticed I was losing) that I wanted to lose weight, that I did care.

But I was far more scared of continuing to be fat and not living the life I wanted to than any of that, which is why I (finally) decided to take action.
  • chelsy0587
    chelsy0587 Posts: 441 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I fear I won't learn to cook healthy foods so they taste good.... making me turn back to unhealthy meals as the normal.

I fear my child will be over weight, which of course I cannot control anyhow... plus his dad is one of those lucky people that was born with a 6 pack and can eat anything he wants and not worry. (so far) So this fear may be completely null and void by the time he grows into a man.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    None, do it or dont do it. If i had any fear it was that I had let myself put on weight which made me a lot more at risk of things like cancer, heart attack , diabetes and stroke. I look at lots of your fears and tbh am a little nemused becayse my mindset is completely different. Id suggest you get some therapy and change yours, some self esttem or confidence calsses wouldnt do any harm.

1. Why do you value the opinion of snidey person when shes not very nice or helpful? Ignore her. All the more silly when losing weight will be good for you.
    2. Loose skin happens, as a young person your skin will be more elastic. You dont have that much to lose so its a fear in your head and unlikely to turn out that way. Worry about it if it makes you feel better but a waste of time. healthy and a bit of loose skin is better than unhealthy and fat.
    3. Being unable to accept yourself is just an excuse.
    4. If you are worried abiut it coming back then take steps to ensure it does not. Dont be a victim.
    5. Worrying about things that might never happen is a waste of time. By not starting then you are building up a whole raft of excuses to avoid commiting. Its up to you, uts straightforward and possible. If you dont and you wnat to then you choose to stay where you are, its 100% your choice.

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Having gained and lost the same 40+ pounds twice, uh....yeah I fear it coming back. I fear that I hit a number, a body fat percentage, a whatever standard I had drummed up in my head, only to get there and realize that I'm still the same person I was before, only slimmer. I fear that I'm delusional to the point of believing that being thin means being emotionally secure. I fear that it may not be enough, and I fear that if I don't get out there and do more (whether it's running races, obstacle courses, 5k's, running stairs) that I'll fall into those same habits that got me all chunked out in the first place. I fear that changing the physical doesn't change the emotional aspect of my life......and really, it doesn't......so now I fear where I'm going from here \m/
  • Lizzles4Shizzles
    Lizzles4Shizzles Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for so long (all my life, it seems) that I fear not feeling like myself anymore after I lose the amount of weight I need to (approx. 110-120lbs altogether). Unlike some other people who are losing weight, I'm perfectly happy with myself and my body and I like who I am - I just want to be healthier. But I've identified myself as "the big girl" for so long (I'm also 5'11") that sometimes I feel like I'm not sure who I'll be when I'm just "the tall girl"... I'm sure I'll be able to work through it though, and I am not opposed to meeting with a therapist if I feel that will help.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is that I will always see me at my biggest weight in the mirror -- no matter how much weight I lose. That's a constant struggle for me.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is failing to make it to my goal. After I get there, I'll tell you if any new fears come up.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

OP is NOT fat. All I see is a beautiful woman.

• MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options

You already are. :)

• jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Fear of getting comfortable when I reach my goal and gaining it all back, like I've done in the past.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    fear of calling it a journey on the forums. seriously, people go nuts over that word. oh and also, being able to keep it off.

tumblr_lzxh0bnTdX1rp7se0o1_500.jpg
    you mean because of this???

or this???

dont-stop-believing.jpg?resize=400%2C697
    \m/

• Livgetfit
    Livgetfit Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Evidently I do fear it, otherwise I would not be down 12kg. I titled this fear of the journey because I am well and truly on it. Why would I be afraid of "staying fat" when there is no possibility of that being the case?

It is not a "rough slog" for me but thank you ever so much for your negativity.