Any specific food items you quit and noticed it helped you lose weight?

Options
Anyone have a specific food that you stopped eating and noticed it helped you lose weight?

For me it's bread. Whenever I stop eating any type of gluten food I notice the weight comes off easier and I look less puffier. I don't have celiac and I know most think gluten free is a fad diet, but whenever I stop eating it I see a difference.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I've constantly ate the same things... just less of them :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Eliminating bread is probably helping you to lose, because it allows you to reduce your overall calories and potentially carbs (high carbs means storing additional glycogen/water).

I don't eliminate foods. When I do, i tend to want to binge. But what I do is focus on getting more nutrient dense foods, rather than "empty calories". The only calories I drink now are protein shakes. I rarely eat pasta (doesn't fill me up unless I have 4 or 5 servings) and I tend to get several servings of fruits/veggies (I aim for 30g of fiber).
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Fast food. If you cut out fast food you're typically replacing it with healthier stuff. You can lose weight and still eat fast food as long as you're in a calorie deficit, but I find it's easier to lose weight if I cut back or eliminate fast food in general.
  • trinamazur
    trinamazur Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I noticed when I go heavier on carbs, especially bread, pasta, baked goods etc. I need a nap and feel bloated and get stomach upset. It's generally unpleasant. I removed gluten as recommended by my naturopath thinking she was wrong and thinking a gluten free diet was a fad but I'm now having second thoughts.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I initially started MFP I quit soda thinking it helped me to lose weight. Then I realized that it wasn't quitting the soda that really did it but the caloric deficit from quitting the soda. Quitting 3 sodas a day freed up 450 calories. Now if I want a soda I see if it fits into my calorie goal for the day.
  • davidmanfred
    davidmanfred Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Straight up sugar. Candy, chocolate in my coffee, granola bars, honey, etc. Eliminate of that as an item has made me less hungry overall.

The other day I had a glass of ginger lemonade before going home and it made me very hungry. Without the sugar I can go much longer between snacks and snack more sparingly when I do. Perhaps it is a reflection of just eliminating items that I shouldn't be eating anyway but it makes me feel better and it makes my day much easier to approach. I still have the occasional sweet, after dinner ice cream or a pastry on a saturday morning but it is now the exception instead of being the rule.
  • Reygne
    Reygne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    starches in general
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I haven't "quit" any foods but bringing my lunch to work instead of going out has saved me TONS of calories (& money!). & just tracking in general. If you don't track, you don't know where you stand. I was eating fast food or take-out every day & not even looking up how many calories I was consuming. I was probably going way over & not even knowing it. It feels a lot better knowing I made my own food & know exactly what I'm eating. I'll do fast food maybe once a week but look up the calories beforehand. I don't think you need to quit anything necessarily.
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I also drop weight more easily when I stop eating bread/rice/potatoes and rather get my carbs from fruit and veg.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I eat less bread, french fries and potatos
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Nope. When I initially started MFP I quit soda thinking it helped me to lose weight. Then I realized that it wasn't quitting the soda that really did it but the caloric deficit from quitting the soda. Quitting 3 sodas a day freed up 450 calories. Now if I want a soda I see if it fits into my calorie goal for the day.

Bingo! Erase "soda" and fill it in with anything you enjoy but that may not really be nutritional at all. Diet Soda fills that "carbonated" void for me, but too much isn't healthy either.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I made it a point to not cut out or eliminate any food, just the portion. Tell someone they can't have something and guess what they will want, obsessively???
  • Rheameg
    Rheameg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    LLNN122 wrote: »
    Anyone have a specific food that you stopped eating and noticed it helped you lose weight?

For me it's bread. Whenever I stop eating any type of gluten food I notice the weight comes off easier and I look less puffier. I don't have celiac and I know most think gluten free is a fad diet, but whenever I stop eating it I see a difference.

I quit bread, potatoes, etc. I also drink a gallon of water a day. Those have helped me the most so far. My biggest problem is sodium :-/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    There are things I used to eat frequently such as donuts that I hardly eat anymore, but that's mostly because I'd rather spend my calories on other things instead.

This is my approach. I think about the kinds of foods I want to include in my diet and make sure to include them. This means adequate protein, lots of vegetables, fruit and dairy, nuts and olives and olive oil, a variety of starches (oatmeal, potatoes and sweet potatoes, corn when in season, whole grains, quinoa, sunchokes, many others). And then with my excess calories I use them as I please. It's self limiting so there's no risk of going overboard on the low nutrition/high calorie stuff.

I've ended up reducing the amount of some stuff I eat--I used to order in Indian food a ridiculous amount and now I just go out for it once a month or so, I tend to like the sauce more than pasta so I'm sparing in the portion size of the pasta itself and load on my homemade sauce with lots of veggie--but I haven't given up anything. I don't love most bread so I usually forego the calories and eat my (homemade) burger bunless and the like, but for really good bread (or a really good sandwich, like I had for lunch today), I will make an exception. I personally see no benefits to cutting out vs. reducing the amount eaten, but everyone should do what works for them.
  • Justthisgirl1994
    Justthisgirl1994 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Fast food, juice and pop. (I use pop sometines as chase or a mix though)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well it's not food, it's alcohol. Fireball shots with apple cider beer. How I miss it....
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've cut down a lot on bread. Not just because of carbs, but most breads are high in sugar (sneaky!) and don't have a lot of nutrients. Also makes me tired when I eat too much bread.