Think beyond the gym

Options
br3adman
br3adman Posts: 284 Member
I started my diet in September last year. I've lost 101 pounds so far went from a size 64 mens to 48-50. I decided early on the gym wasn't for me,the risk of staph infection is very high for my body.

Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked. For example, I plant a garden every year, just think of all the work involved moving, bending, pulling grass, picking veggies and preparing food. Also I planted a blackberry orchard last fall that needs a few hours of my time each week. I will have all the berries next year i need plus sell the surplus for extra cash. I needed to clear brush around my properly during the spring. That would burn way over 1000 calories in a few hours. I also simply walk daily.

Here are a few other things i do on the weekends,afternoons ect. Washing your car,power wash your home and driveway,push the lawn when mowing vs riding. If i was giving the option of buying a new bowflex or push mower i would pick the mower.

When grocery shopping write a list get one or two items then go all the way to the back of the store for the next item. You're going to get a good air conditioned walk applying this.

The point is pick things you genuinely like to do. If you like walking your dog go walk him vs going to the gym it's a good free burn.

I burn 600 calories walking daily. This is just alternative ideas if you have any please share yours. I would love to try new things that maybe i would enjoy.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    What exercises do you do to maintain your muscle mass? Any resistance at all?
  • JustChristy79
    JustChristy79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »

The point is pick things you genuinely like to do. If you like walking your dog go walk him vs going to the gym it's a good free burn.

I agree! My dog & I are both in the best shape of our lives & neither of us are young pups anymore. : )

• Eire228
    Eire228 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love the grocery store idea! I don't love grocery shopping, but what an easy way to get in some extra movement. Thanks!
  • br3adman
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

During the late winter/early spring i picked up firewood and moved it to another spot. After doing that a few weeks it got quite boring. Back and forth ect. I'm still very large so mainly focusing on loosing the fat currently. It's hard for the body to do both at once because insulin is released when you eat carbohydrates. If i wanted to grow muscle mass i would need to add more calories and risk gaining weight at this point.

Once I drop 60-100 more pounds ill then think of ways to build muscle.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

Add in a lap or two carrying a concrete block overhead or farmers-walk. Actually do both. Add lunges when that gets easy.
  • JustChristy79
    Options
    Your post reminds me of this... Sent it to my husband (totally joking) when he text me that he was going to the gym. He didn't think it was funny. Lol

hw0skwqfigw8.jpg

• br3adman
    Options
    Eire228 wrote: »
    I love the grocery store idea! I don't love grocery shopping, but what an easy way to get in some extra movement. Thanks!

Yeah I like it! Usually can do 6000-7000 steps per shopping trip via this method. If you got a lowes or another store nearby try it out there. Them stores are huge after an hour lapping around in it you will need a breather trust me.
  • br3adman
    Options
    Your post reminds me of this... Sent it to my husband (totally joking) when he text me that he was going to the gym. He didn't think it was funny. Lol

hw0skwqfigw8.jpg

Ha if i could find some neighbors with square bales i would do it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You know what annoys me about posts like this
    no??
    okay- well let me tell you: and yes- I realized no one asked- but since we are giving out unsolicited opinions about stuff - I'm going to throw mine out.
    Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked.

This- this is what is chronically wrong with these types of posts. It implies those of us who go to the gym do so because "tis' the way it's done sire!" and that's it- like it's something to be frowned up on.

I LOVE going to the gym- and I LOVE lifting weights. It's great you want to be outside getting splinters and getting cancer from the sun and getting burnt- go right ahead but don't piss on my gym time as something I'm forced to do. I REALLY TRULY LOVE DOING IT.

I'm all about finding extra movement- I personally don't push a cart at the grocery store- I ONLY carry a hand basket- it's part of my budgeting system AND it means I farmers walk all my groceries to the car- win win. But that doesn't mean I neglect my focused dedicated work. Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.
  • JustChristy79
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @JoRocka

Don't think he was implying anything negative about going to the gym. Think he was trying to say, for people who don't have access & can't afford a membership, there are other ways to be active. : )
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Progress is key. That's why an organized program works.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm admittedly cranky- but every time I see one of those it comes with the tag "I won't- I just do things I like to do"

Which by default implies- we don't like going to the gym- which I just find so off putting... but today- it actually annoyed me- usually I just skip it- but today- yeah- totally gave my unsolicited opinion on it.

#crankypantsiscranky
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    no??
    okay- well let me tell you: and yes- I realized no one asked- but since we are giving out unsolicited opinions about stuff - I'm going to throw mine out.
    Do what you like to do if thats the gym keep doing it. For me I found ways to burn calories doing things I liked.

This- this is what is chronically wrong with these types of posts. It implies those of us who go to the gym do so because "tis' the way it's done sire!" and that's it- like it's something to be frowned up on.

I LOVE going to the gym- and I LOVE lifting weights. It's great you want to be outside getting splinters and getting cancer from the sun and getting burnt- go right ahead but don't piss on my gym time as something I'm forced to do. I REALLY TRULY LOVE DOING IT.

I'm all about finding extra movement- I personally don't push a cart at the grocery store- I ONLY carry a hand basket- it's part of my budgeting system AND it means I farmers walk all my groceries to the car- win win. But that doesn't mean I neglect my focused dedicated work. Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.

+1
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.

That's a key point and reflects back to people goals. If you want to drop some pounds, sure, your plan looks good, but if you have specific goals in mind other than weight loss, walking an extra couple thousand steps won't get you very far.

• Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I once spent the day at the mall with my kids and walking around the mall the way i did must have burned a lot of calories. I was there for hours and most of it was spent walking and looking around, so that was a pretty easy very low impact day, but nonetheless it was something
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

hw0skwqfigw8.jpg

I bailed hay as a teen, stacking that heavy crap for hours in miserable conditions sneezing the whole time, but I never built as near as much muscle like I built at the gym.
    I LOVE going to the gym- and I LOVE lifting weights.

Because no matter how much "extra" you move- it's not the same as a training plan- no matter what direction you chose to take that.
    +1 million and dolphin
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    br3adman wrote: »

During the late winter/early spring i picked up firewood and moved it to another spot. After doing that a few weeks it got quite boring. Back and forth ect. I'm still very large so mainly focusing on loosing the fat currently. It's hard for the body to do both at once because insulin is released when you eat carbohydrates. If i wanted to grow muscle mass i would need to add more calories and risk gaining weight at this point.

Once I drop 60-100 more pounds ill then think of ways to build muscle.

There can be quite a bit of resistance work in gardening. Digging, raking, lugging tools and dirt and fertilizer, etc. Tilling, if you don't use a tractor. Weeding and harvesting.

Chopping, splitting and stacking firewood is also a good resistance workout.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    51279093.jpg
  • jumpybeans
    jumpybeans Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    no??

Sorry, but nobody pissed on your gym time. If I recall correctly, the OP stated that if you like going to the gym, keep going to the gym. Nowhere in that post did I get the impression he was hating on people who only work out at the gym.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options

That's a key point and reflects back to people goals. If you want to drop some pounds, sure, your plan looks good, but if you have specific goals in mind other than weight loss, walking an extra couple thousand steps won't get you very far.

Especially inside a store. Personally I cannot imagine walking around a store for 3 miles. I'd rather be swimming cycling, playing sand volleyball, lifting at my gym, walking in the woods, or enjoying an early morning run.