Does anyone ever meet their Calorie Intake goals???

Options
tazlikeme
tazlikeme Posts: 14 Member
hi everyone.. New to posting stuff, old to trying to lose weight. How does anybody meet their calorie intake? MFP is saying 1800 a day!!! WHAT! I would hav to eat a whole chicken to meet that eveyday. Also exercise counts against me because that's just more calories I hav to make up. If I get that message one more time about not meeting my intake....Ugh!! Anyone hav any tips??

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you're eating a whole chicken to meet your caloric goals... then idk. 3

Eat foods high in calories;
    • Nuts and nut butters / trail mix
    • Vegetable oils and avocado
    • Fatty cuts of meat / steak, pork, mince
    • Sweets etc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    well, if you got to the point where you needed to lose weight, you were eating more than that...so don't know what the problem would be...and yes...of course I hit my targets...about 3,000 calories per day.

my guess is that you think dietary fat is "unhealthy" so you've cut it all out or most of it...dietary fat is essential...saute your veggies in some good olive oil or roast them...eat some nuts...have a peanut butter sandwich...avocados are awesome.

Beyond that, grains and seeds are also calorie dense...have some pasta...like 210 calories for a mere 2 dry ounces...eat some rice...have a potato, etc.

eat fattier cuts of meat.

there's more to proper nutrition than *kitten* loads of veggies...*kitten* loads of veggies are good, but you need other things too.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Granola, cereal, butter, bananas, chicken thighs, coconut oil, bacon. sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds.
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    1,800 is so easy. If you drink coffee, put cream in it. Or even have a bulletproof coffee. Butter and cream in the coffee, and whip it in blender.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are at a point where you need to lose significant weight, trust me, you can eat 1800 calories.
  • tazlikeme
    tazlikeme Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Good ideas!!I forgot about the nuts. Yea, mom was a microwaveable mom so no cooking skills here for using different oils. But isn't it the idea to stay away from sweets.

thanks for the help!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    1,800 calories can add up quickly. Are you weighing your food? A serving is sometimes a lot less than it seems.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    tazlikeme wrote: »
    Good ideas!!I forgot about the nuts. Yea, mom was a microwaveable mom so no cooking skills here for using different oils. But isn't it the idea to stay away from sweets.

thanks for the help!!

The idea for me is to control my sweets....not eliminate them. Maintenance is going to be like that for me. I won't give up anything for weight loss that I won't give up for life.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options

thanks for the help!!
    Some people are under calories, so they eat sweets.

• AnderitaMartinez
    AnderitaMartinez Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been logging in my calories and food intake for almost a week consistently. And it's so true, the calories do add up fast! I'm trying to learn how to stay under or at my calorie intake to loose the weight and am thinking of starting to walk to work everyday and am starting to begin my yoga journey :smiley:
  • cabwj
    cabwj Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

thanks for the help!!
    Some people are under calories, so they eat sweets.

I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories and have sweets not everyday but more than once a week.
  • ceeceeculver
    ceeceeculver Posts: 21 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    man, I wish I had trouble meeting my calories! I get right up to the edge everyday :/ Mine are set at 1200...I eat a sandwich and blow the whole freakin day :(
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    1,800 calories can add up quickly. Are you weighing your food? A serving is sometimes a lot less than it seems.

^^^ this. You are quite likely under-reporting your calories particularly if you a) are not adept at cooking and b) aren't weighing your foods.
    jemhh wrote: »
    If you are at a point where you need to lose significant weight, trust me, you can eat 1800 calories.

^^^ and this. You probably didn't gain 60 pounds by eating 1,800 calories a day, not if you are today finding it difficult to eat what you *think* are 1,800 calories worth of food. You almost certainly were eating more.

With this in mind the first thing you need to do is be sure you are completely accurate with your calorie intake accounting otherwise it's going to be very difficult for you to make progress with weight loss.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I meet mine easily, though I'm a snacker and that adds 200-400 cals per day, usually. Snacking stops me from getting hungry and binging though, so I aim to have at least 2 snacks a day, if not 3. Healthy ones, of course, but snacks nonetheless.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1700 right now, and I could so easily hit 1800.

Agree with those who ask how you are measuring your food and if you are cutting fat too low.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    1800 isn't hard to meet if you don't have a limited diet.

If I had to eat 1800 calories every day...I don't think I would. Bread could help for a few, but you can only eat so much bread. 1800 is a lot of calories. I'd have to add cookies, frosting or pie or something. I couldn't do it on lean meats, fruits and veggies, low-fat dairy and whole-grain breads.

Some nuts have a lot of calories. Dried fruit does, too. If you're looking for healthier options to increase calories, that might help. :)

Try to eat as many calories as you can while still losing. You're going to want to...well, you're going to have to!...cut back later to keep losing and you don't want to be in a place where you can't cut back anymore.
  • jamieangotti
    jamieangotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    man, I wish I had trouble meeting my calories! I get right up to the edge everyday :/ Mine are set at 1200...I eat a sandwich and blow the whole freakin day :(

• jamieangotti
    jamieangotti Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What type of sandwich are you eating?
    I use honey wheat bread 80cal per serving (2 slices) with tuna almost daily for lunch... Granted I don't eat mayo, I use country crock lite butter instead... @1tbs...
    I still have tons of calories available for day before my workout is even put in