Vegetarian diets are best for weight loss/ healthy hearts

Options
Or are they??

I am a die hard meat eater, but since having high cholesterol and other health issues I have been instructed to go on a no meat diet for 3 months to help my body get on track. Are vegetarians more healthy?
my doctor feels that instead of putting me on cholesterol medication I can stop eating meat and high fatty foods for a while.
Instead of me taking a bunch of other pills to help w/ nutrition I can see a dietician for healthy vegetarian and full of veggie recipes.

Anyone change their lifestyle and become a vegetarian for weight loss or heart health reasons?
Will I be healthier by changing what I eat?

Replies

• Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No. What is the likelihood you can do this sustainability? What happens after 3 months? Do you go back to a poor diet? Also, foods high in cholesterol do not lead to high blood levels of cholesterol. Eat in deficit, exercise, and avoid foods high in saturated fat.

My total cholesterol dropped 80 points in 2 months after basically doing this, although I have not avoided foods high in saturated fat.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You dont have to go full vegetarian for health unless you want to. I know many fat & unhealthy vegetarians. Adding more vegetarian dishes into your diet can help over all along with exercise. I eat them because I like them and I can stretch out my grocery budget better with a bag of dry beans and a bag of veggie further than I can a piece of meat.
  • VeggieStef
    VeggieStef Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't replace the meat with junk food or pills then I do believe it will make you a healthier person. I feel and look better as a vegetarian than I ever did as a meat eater. Good luck to you in whatever you end up choosing. I hope you get good results when you go back to your doctor. I think it is always a good idea to try and make lifestyle changes and see if that works for you before taking medication.
  • 1Luv0110
    1Luv0110 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nuke_64 wrote: »
    No. What is the likelihood you can do this sustainability? What happens after 3 months? Do you go back to a poor diet? Also, foods high in cholesterol do not lead to high blood levels of cholesterol. Eat in deficit, exercise, and avoid foods high in saturated fat.

My total cholesterol dropped 80 points in 2 months after basically doing this, although I have not avoided foods high in saturated fat.

Really? That's a lot, and you did not change your diet?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    id ask him for the current evidence based studies that supports a vegetarian diet over medicinal management in lowering cholesterol and improving health.
  • 1Luv0110
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »
    You dont have to go full vegetarian for health unless you want to. I know many fat & unhealthy vegetarians. Adding more vegetarian dishes into your diet can help over all along with exercise. I eat them because I like them and I can stretch out my grocery budget better with a bag of dry beans and a bag of veggie further than I can a piece of meat.

So a few meals per week instead of full blown vegetarian.....that could work so I don't feel deprived
  • Nuke_64
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1Luv0110 wrote: »
    Nuke_64 wrote: »

Really? That's a lot, and you did not change your diet?

I ate in deficit so I was eating less and better stuff, leading to 25lb weight loss as well (over 3 months, close to 35 now), but I did not deny myself pizza or steak. Just tracked it.

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Total b.s. re the weight loss.smiley-angry007.gif
    And I say this as someone who mostly eats lentils, beans, some eggs.

What "track" are you supposed to be on?
    Ask the doc to send you to a dietician if he/she wants you to lose weight.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Or are they??

I am a die hard meat eater, but since having high cholesterol and other health issues I have been instructed to go on a no meat diet for 3 months to help my body get on track. Are vegetarians more healthy?
    my doctor feels that instead of putting me on cholesterol medication I can stop eating meat and high fatty foods for a while.
    Instead of me taking a bunch of other pills to help w/ nutrition I can see a dietician for healthy vegetarian and full of veggie recipes.

Anyone change their lifestyle and become a vegetarian for weight loss or heart health reasons?

Since your doctor said for only 3 months...that might work, but you will need to have a plan for what you will eat on your vegetarian diet (there are so many delicious options) and a plan for when you switch back from a vegetarian diet (you can't just go back to the same ole way of eating, if that is what your doctor thinks is the cause of your numbers). Did the doctor address those issues? Like, do you normally eat a high sodium, low nutrient diet?

When I was a vegetarian both my blood pressure and my cholesterol were normal. I ate that way for 20-ish years.

Then I stopped really paying attention to what I was eating, and I started drinking more alcohol (beer and cheap wine) and eventually got to a point where the doctor told me to get a grip on my diet and exercise or else I would need medication for both.

So, I lowered my Cholesterol and my Triglycerides by exercising more, drinking enough water, cutting back on the large amount of alcohol I was drinking, and making more nutritious health choices more often. I don't think that meat is necessarily the problem, but a vegetarian diet would help if that meant you were getting more fiber and nutrients in your food. Even vegetarians can make poor food choices, which is why you need a plan.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for thirteen years, and my blood pressure is always low, and I've got no problem whatsoever building muscle. 1Luv, cutting out dietary cholesterol and fried, fatty foods *will* lower your cholesterol levels and give you a healthier heart. Them's the facts. Good luck!
  • 1Luv0110
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Total b.s. re the weight loss.smiley-angry007.gif
    And I say this as someone who mostly eats lentils, beans, some eggs.

What "track" are you supposed to be on?
    Ask the doc to send you to a dietician if he/she wants you to lose weight.

They referred me to a dietician to help me get the hang of the no meat thing. This is going to be hard
  • Nuke_64
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    cutting out dietary cholesterol ... *will* lower your cholesterol levels and give you a healthier heart. Them's the facts. Good luck!

Nope

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/02/10/feds-poised-to-withdraw-longstanding-warnings-about-dietary-cholesterol/
  • 1Luv0110
    Options
    Or are they??

Since your doctor said for only 3 months...that might work, but you will need to have a plan for what you will eat on your vegetarian diet (there are so many delicious options) and a plan for when you switch back from a vegetarian diet (you can't just go back to the same ole way of eating, if that is what your doctor thinks is the cause of your numbers). Did the doctor address those issues? Like, do you normally eat a high sodium, low nutrient diet?

When I was a vegetarian both my blood pressure and my cholesterol were normal. I ate that way for 20-ish years.

Then I stopped really paying attention to what I was eating, and I started drinking more alcohol (beer and cheap wine) and eventually got to a point where the doctor told me to get a grip on my diet and exercise or else I would need medication for both.

So, I lowered my Cholesterol and my Triglycerides by exercising more, drinking enough water, cutting back on the large amount of alcohol I was drinking, and making more nutritious health choices more often. I don't think that meat is necessarily the problem, but a vegetarian diet would help if that meant you were getting more fiber and nutrients in your food. Even vegetarians can make poor food choices, which is why you need a plan.

Yes you are right. I think that's what the dietician is for. I'm supposed to move at least 30 minutes per day and macros will be set for me next week. Thanks for the reply. ;)
  • Keiko385
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Keiko385 wrote: »

So a few meals per week instead of full blown vegetarian.....that could work so I don't feel deprived

I had extremely high cholesterol, high blood pressure and a heart attack to top it off. They limited my dietary cholesterol to 200mg vs the 300 MFP defaults to, lowered my sodium intake and started exercising and now my numbers are back in the normal to low ranges. I started off adding in more veggie dishes and now do a lot of vegetarian meals , but I still eat meat just smaller portions .
    I would not do anything drastic at first as you are setting yourself up to fail imho. Talk to a dietician for guidance and track with MFP and you will be fine
  • RodaRose
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Getting rid of cholesterol in your diet will not necessarily change your body's cholesterol levels.
    I apologize but I hate doctors who do this. My father has to deal with stupid doctors and was on a statin for years that gave him permanent nerve damage.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I've been told that some people's bodies just naturally create excessive cholesterol regardless of what they eat (or don't eat).
  • Keiko385
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Getting rid of cholesterol in your diet will not necessarily change your body's cholesterol levels.
    I apologize but I hate doctors who do this. My father has to deal with stupid doctors and was on a satin for years that gave him permanent nerve damage.

Science changes almost daily anymore , very few people are actually affected by dietary cholesterol, I am one of them not significantly but it does change my overall numbers if I go overboard with it. Statins are not my drug of choice but when nothing else works you do what you have to do
  • RodaRose
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I've been told that some people's bodies just naturally create excessive cholesterol regardless of what they eat (or don't eat).
    Yes. That is right. <3
  • ediewharton
    ediewharton Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for thirty plus years. It can be a very healthy lifestyle...and sometimes it isn't.
    I am an ethical vegetarian so I think everyone should be vegetarian/vegan lol.
    In my journey towards eating better, I am focusing on adding more protein and vegetables. I think that it is better on focusing on what you are adding rather than what you are cutting. Start looking into vegetable dishes/ meatless main meals and see how that works for you. One of my favorite sites is Skinnytaste. Check it out. Make a goal for youself...such as two out of my three meals will be meatless (or whatever you are comfortable with) and take it from there.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I was told to eat lean meats, stay away from fried foods and get as much fiber as possible. I started buying Fiber Gourmet pastas. I'm getting around 40 grams a day now.