Anyone having trouble giving up that evening drink?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Altrez74
    Altrez74 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    jlutz193 wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I made a slight miscalculation on my evening drinks. Its closer to 1700. I am new to all this so when I got home I did a bit more internet digging and found that vodka has 1618 calories per fifth. So my goal now is to step up the walking and cut back a bit more on dinner.

I am hoping to lose 1 pound per week for 50 weeks I think its doable. Is there other low impact exercises I can do to help burn more calories?

Thanks!

Given the response you've already received to your excessive drinking, it's hard not to see this as attention seeking.

Is really not. I came here to ask a question and for whatever reason it went side ways. I drink a fifth of vodka daily and have for many years. I am getting married next year and decided that I wanted to lose some weight around 50 pounds I ran across this thread that was talking about Alcohol and asked a question to the drinkers of this thread.

Some people started to scream alcoholic. I did not ask for any drinking advise in my first post other then what are drinkers thoughts about losing the pounds while continuing to drink.

Thank you for posting!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I made a slight miscalculation on my evening drinks. Its closer to 1700. I am new to all this so when I got home I did a bit more internet digging and found that vodka has 1618 calories per fifth. So my goal now is to step up the walking and cut back a bit more on dinner.

I am hoping to lose 1 pound per week for 50 weeks I think its doable. Is there other low impact exercises I can do to help burn more calories?

Thanks!

Given the response you've already received to your excessive drinking, it's hard not to see this as attention seeking.

Is really not. I came here to ask a question and for whatever reason it went side ways. I drink a fifth of vodka daily and have for many years. I am getting married next year and decided that I wanted to lose some weight around 50 pounds I ran across this thread that was talking about Alcohol and asked a question to the drinkers of this thread.

Some people started to scream alcoholic. I did not ask for any drinking advise in my first post other then what are drinkers thoughts about losing the pounds while continuing to drink.

Thank you for posting!

People can be so judgmental here, jlutz! Congrats on your wedding!
  • msujack
    msujack Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    To cut the noise on this thread, I thought I would put in my 2 cents: I do have a couple drinks a couple days a week (sometimes none). I brew beer and cider for a hobby and occasionally have a scotch with a cigar. I take my calorie goal and eat as best as I can. When adding in my exercise, I find that I can usually slide in a couple beers or some scotch when hanging out with friends without going over my calorie goal.

I am trying to drop some weight over the next 5 months by exercising more and watching what I eat more closely. I don't want to cut anything out (in terms of pizza/beer/ice cream), but know that if I don't move or I eat crap for lunch or snacks, I can't stay on track with my plan if I want some booze.

One thing that surprised me was looking at calories in beer. Three Floyd's Alpha King is 225cal per bottle and Miller Lite is 96cal.
  • Altrez74
    Options

Thanks!

Depending on your size, walking is pretty low impact and burns an average of 75 calories per mile. So if your average gait is 3 mph, which is 225 calories an hour, you could walk for ten hours for 2,250 calories. That way, even after the 1700 calories for the vodka, you still have 550 for nutrition. I recommend a couple of boiled eggs and steamed broccoli. Of course, there's always cycling or the elliptical, which burns a lot more calories than walking, but they aren't as low impact. But then again, you don't have to do them as long and will have more time to enjoy your vodka. And you could work off even MORE calories to use for nutrition!

First off I would like to say thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. That is a lot of walking! I was not doing anything before so I felt like adding a 10,000 steps a day program and cutting out all the fast food and snacks should make a big difference.

I sit in front of a computer 18 hours a day and was eating fast food daily including triple cheeseburgers from Wendy's with a large fry and chili a least once a week. I am now around 275 pounds and would like to get down to 225.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

As a collective group, we tend to say something when people engage in self-harm or behavior that has a high probability of self-harm. A fifth a day of hard liquor is a LOT (and I say that as a drinker).

I don't think I'd want to hang out on a board where people just gave someone tips on how to balance that with weight loss without pointing out that it's an awful lot to drink and that balancing it may compromise nutritional goals (as well as the impact to overall health from drinking that much daily).
  • Altrez74
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    So this is an issue I am struggling with. There is no way I am going to quit drinking every night so what I am doing is cutting back on everything else and upping my walking. I reserve 1500 calories for my evening drinks and yes I know it's unhealthy but so is being overweight! Once I drop 50 pounds I will start working my way down to six drinks or less a nite.

How many of you out there are drinkers finding it hard to lose weight?

My maintenance calories are just barely over 1500 calories. There's no way you're "upping your walking" enough to create a deficit large enough to cover 1500 calories of alcohol per day, to lose weight. Maybe if you started walking to AA meetings?

Really. 1500 calories? Two or three bottles of wine? Over half a case of beer? Wow.

If you're not drinking 8oz of everclear a day you've got a serious not-drinking-enough problem.

What is everclear?

190 proof (95%) alcohol. Illegal to sell in some states.

Ewwwww!

We have to go to Wisconsin, Iowa or South Dakota to get it.

Fun fact, it'll run your car for a while if you're in a pinch, or cause you to find people strewn about your front yard the morning after a party in college. Not that I have experience with that or anything....

We buy Golden Grain here to make good ole Kentucky hooch. Its 195 proof as well.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

As a collective group, we tend to say something when people engage in self-harm or behavior that has a high probability of self-harm. A fifth a day of hard liquor is a LOT (and I say that as a drinker).

I don't think I'd want to hang out on a board where people just gave someone tips on how to balance that with weight loss without pointing out that it's an awful lot to drink and that balancing it may compromise nutritional goals (as well as the impact to overall health from drinking that much daily).

Jane, do you have no sense of humor?
  • Altrez74
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

Thank you! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

I didn't read your comment as a joke. I apologize.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

So were all of jlutz's. I don't know him, but I've read this thread from the beginning and it didn't take long to realize he was pulling our legs!
  • Altrez74
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

So were all of jlutz's. I don't know him, but I've read this thread from the beginning and it didn't take long to realize he was pulling our legs!

No I am not pulling your legs. I am not sure why anyone would think that. I grew up in a Military family and they drank cases of beer a day. My brother drinks a fifth of whisky and a six pack everyday. My sister will drink 3 bottles of wine a night.

I guess that I just come from a different dynamic then most people.
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not having trouble giving up my evening drink, because like some others in the thread, I'm not trying to give it up. I don't drink every day, but when I do it's usually like one or two beers, and I budget for it. Occasionally I will drink quite a bit more, but as Oscar Wilde said, "All things in moderation, including moderation."

I drink real beer, though, not the mass-market stuff that's mostly corn or rice. A good dry high-gravity Belgian style beer has a nutrient profile that's similar to a dry white wine, with an even greater amount of flavor complexity. On an amount of flavor per calorie basis and on an amount of alcohol per calorie basis, something like that is a much better nutritional bargain than a regular lite beer.
  • faurotann
    faurotann Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I agree. Regular lite beer has no flavor. But I'm trying to figure out where I have the room for the calories. What percentage of your total calories goes beer or whatever!
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    faurotann wrote: »
    I agree. Regular lite beer has no flavor. But I'm trying to figure out where I have the room for the calories. What percentage of your total calories goes beer or whatever!

Most days when I drink, it adds up to 200-300 calories, so about 10%. I count all alcohol calories as carbs.
  • 9thwardchick
    9thwardchick Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I include my wine into my daily caloric intake. If I am going out for drinks, I just exercise more. It was easier for me to give up chocolate and ice cream than my wine. So you are not alone.
  • mcfattest
    mcfattest Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    I've pretty much plateau'd and am maintaining. One thing I'm noticing -- I'm not willing to give up my evening glass of wine (sometimes it's a beer in the summer). I'll even go over a little or not eat as much to have the glass of wine. For instance, tonight I chose not to eat rice with my meal so I could have the wine. Anyone else do this?
    Yes wine is one of the few pleasures left. I try to not exceed 1-2 glasses though. I also eat dinner bearing in mind that I need to leave some deficit for it.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Thank you for posting!

No I am not pulling your legs. I am not sure why anyone would think that. I grew up in a Military family and they drank cases of beer a day. My brother drinks a fifth of whisky and a six pack everyday. My sister will drink 3 bottles of wine a night.

I guess that I just come from a different dynamic then most people.

Well...I don't really know what a "fifth" of vodka or whisky is, but I can relate to "bottles of wine". Three per night? omg. That's 21 every week. (aren't I good at math? :wink: ) I'm sorry but I cannot believe that's healthy for anyone, whether or not one is counting calories.

And, I'm not sure what being a "military family" has to do with drinking? My military relatives don't drink any more than the rest of us, which is a beer or two, or a glass of wine with dinner. I think that's kind of a slur on those in the military to imply that they all drink to excess.