Can't stop bingeing.

Options
2»

Replies

• jacquelinejohnson1671
    Options
    I, too, have had problems with binging. I stopped logging my food intake for a year. Not surprising, I gained weight because I did not keep track. Binging tends to be a mindless activity. It is very easy to lose track when you are eating while watching tv, surfing the web, or just talking with folks at work. I realized that this activity is linked to boredom and stress. I recently started logging and am making myself be honest about every single morsel of food that eat, no matter the quantity (or quality). It's really hard and sobering to face those extra calories, carbs, and fat in the log! I also found that if I log throughout the day it is easier for me to keep track. My goal is to be healthier and more balanced. I'm trying to be accountable to myself to make higher quality lifestyle choices. Logging helps me to achieve this goal. I've tried to fight it, but logging is an effective tool. Keep thinking about achieving balance. Binge eating is out of balance behavior and is not how I want to live.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What worked for me was giving up most carbs and any thing with added sugar. I now eat low carb and high in (healthy) fats, and I find I now have better control. It took a few weeks where I didn't feel great but it sure is good now.

Just an option that worked for me.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP - What has helped me is to have a collection of my own snacks at my desk (orbitz gum, cocoa flavored almonds, cheese sticks etc). Making a routine for my snacking helps a lot and I portion. On a typical day after lunch, I treat myself with 1-3 hershey kisses - then maybe some gum and if I'm still hungry a small protein shake, string cheese or almonds. They are fairly low calorie options so I can easily still be within my limit. It's a bit like being your own parent, but this helps me be just satisfied enough between meals that I'm not tempted by food people bring in etc.

When I go home, again, I have a pre-portioned treat already in mind for after dinner that can still be within my calories. Hope this helps!
  • jb8tesxx
    jb8tesxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Binge eating isn't the problem its a symptom of a problem,
    if your like me, you might eat to pacify yourself, so that you don't feel anything, it soothes your emotional state. Squashing your unhappiness/stress/upset so you don't have to deal with it. you may not even be aware that you're experiencing negative feelings but I think that is what is happening.
    Does your job make you feel good about yourself? I find it hard to believe that a person who is happy an contented would walk into a break room and eat six doughnuts! You need to get to the root of your upset/stress and work on that,
    Easier said than done, I know, food is my coping mechanism and without I really struggle. I find a diary is a good way of dealing with my feelings so I don't have to eat my feelings down.
  • Bizurke51
    Bizurke51 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    just walk away
    repeat "i dont need it"
    log every single donut as you eat, this should make u see how much you're eating
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    For me, I had horrible anxiety, and was using binge eating as a way to numb the pain. I was struggling so much because I had no outlet. I just had work, home, work, home, and I live alone so I had no one to vent to. Finding an outlet, whether it's a person or activity, can really help. For me, it's biking. It's something to look forward to at the end of the day, and something where I can just forget about stress and burn all that anxious energy out.
  • Tami_H
    Tami_H Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been a big eater my entire life. I love food and have no self control. I would eat several donuts or an entire bag of chips and then hate myself for it. A good friend told me about TruFix a natural plant based supplement made by the company TruVision and I wanted to share that it's really helping me. I promise I am NOT a consultant and do not get paid for sharing but for the first time in my life I don't feel hungry all the time and that makes me so friggin happy. My energy level has improved and I eat only when I am hungry. It also fills me up faster so I don't think I could binge even if I wanted to. I am told you don't have to change your eating habits to lose but I am dieting and exercising at the same time now that I am able to wake up early and be functional. I am down 22# in just a couple of months. I feel like I have replaced my food addiction with an exercise addiction and that's a good thing
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Just say no and walk away. Willpower rules.
  • tvwhidden
    tvwhidden Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I began Trufix today actually. So far I am not hungry but making sure I get enough protein and calories. Having to actually make myself eat, which may go away once its in my system. We shall see..
  • AnnaBellQ14
    AnnaBellQ14 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Actually, sometimes I have binged on fruits and veggies, like broccolli or carrots with just a serving size of ranch dressing or perhaps blueberries. I used to be in a place (mentally) where I could just say no. I seem to have lost the map back. Part of it is why I always tell myself, start fresh tomorrow. Or just don't eat the rest of the day. At 37 years old and years of binging, yeah, it's starting to wear on my and I've broken down to the point where I just do it because I know I can't stop myself. I'm good for a few days. Then here comes the binge. Starts out small. Then I say f it and I eat all the foodz.

Do you eat enough on days when you are not binging? What about the type of food you are eating? Are you eating the foods that you like?
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I make sure I never have access to multipacks or large amounts of the stuff I would binge on. If I want to treat myself, I go out and buy a single packet of crisps, or a single chocolate bar, etc. instead. I find it much, much easier to exercise self-control out in a supermarket when you're focused and have a set list of things to get, rather than at home when you have easy access to large volumes of it.

Dealing with the food in the breakroom is more difficult. Maybe bring along a big dose of veggies that you can binge on instead, for very few calories in comparison? That way you're getting to eat a large volume still. :)